Use of Lightroom 3 with scans

A place to talk about photography, the meaning of life and anything that doesn't quite fit elsewhere
Tony B

Use of Lightroom 3 with scans

Post by Tony B » Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:39 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I wish to use Lightroom for post-processing 5x4 scans made with an Epson V750. I am using Velvia 50 and 100. My printer is an Epson 3800 and I use ImagePrint RIP software.

My particular query is the settings for the sharpening and noise reduction sliders. When I sharpen to the level I would like to see on my prints (A3 and A2 eventually), the grain pattern becomes obvious on-screen at 1:1 magnification, and on an A3 print under a 10x magnifier. I am aware that this is too demanding (who wants to view prints in this way?), but in taking my first steps in LF scanning and printing, I want to test the limits to see what is achievable, and what to avoid.

I would appreciate any comments/tips from other members who may have experience of using these Lightroom features with scanned 5x4 Velvia. Are there 'starter' settings that favour LF? Is it posiible to suppress the grain whilst maintaining sharp images?

Any help would be appreciated.

Tony

Dave Tolcher

Re: Use of Lightroom 3 with scans

Post by Dave Tolcher » Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:56 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi Tony, it should be possbile to get that looking OK. I have used LR on my scans for sometime. I typically sharpen in the scanning software - lightest setting - to just back sharpen from the scanning process. This then requires a max of 50% sharpening in lightroom. Judicious use of the noise reduction sliders (colour & luminance, no more than 35%) gives good results IME. If you oversharpen in the scanning software then it does give problems further down the line. What are you using to scan ? Vuescan can output DNG which imports nicely into lightroom.

Rgds

Dave

Tony B

Post by Tony B » Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:29 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi Dave

Thanks for the input. I've got the Epson Scan and Silverfast Ai that came with the scanner. I have tried both; the Epson Scan is easier to use, but I'm not sure if I need the extra facilities of the Silverfast. Jury still out that. Your comments would be helpful.

I will try what you suggest re scanning + LR.

Many thanks

Tony

Nigels
Forum Hero

Post by Nigels » Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:58 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Not quite the same but;
I scan from an Epson 2450 using Vuescan into PS CS3.
I don't do any sharpening until I come to printing.
I sharpen by creating a layer mask with Find edges and effectively deleting the areas I don't want sharpening, which is usually the skies as any grain will show up more there when sharpened.
Then there is some printer-specific sharpening and printing on an Epson 3880.
I'm far from perfect but get some stunning S/A3 prints.
Hope this helps.

P.S. Thanks, to TimH (on this board) for helping me with the workflow.
Regs, Nigels.
[User of Ebony 45SU + 58, 80, 150 & 270 mm Lenses, and all the essential bits]
"He wears the sweeping landscape in the crystal of his eye."