Ebay categories

A place to talk about photography, the meaning of life and anything that doesn't quite fit elsewhere
Phil_T

Ebay categories

Post by Phil_T » Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:14 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

What the hell have ebay done with all the sub-categories in photography? I had a saved search that used to just show large format stuff but now shows everything in 'film photography'. I've got a lens a wanted to sell and now it's going to get lost in a huge volume of 35mm crap - I'll be surprised if anyone sees it. Damn.

Peter B
Forum Hero

Re: Ebay categories

Post by Peter B » Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:06 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I was horrified when I saw it as well, so complained to Customer Support straight away. Their answer is as follows:

Hello Peter,

Thank you for taking the time to send us your ideas regarding Film Cameras category. We are always pleased to hear from members of the eBay community and welcome their comments regarding our services.

I assure you that we are committed to the continuous improvement of our website to make it both a fun and safe place to trade. This concern of yours is highly appreciable. However, please note that our company policy does not allow us to accept or consider ideas or proposals, other than those that we have specifically requested.

Please understand that this policy is intended to avoid the possibility of future misunderstandings when new products, services or features developed internally by eBay employees might be similar or even identical to your idea or proposal.

Please note that eBay has no obligations of any kind (whether contractual or otherwise) with respect to the ideas and proposals that you have sent to us. eBay does not consider such ideas and proposals to be confidential or proprietary. eBay will not be liable for any disclosure or use of your ideas and proposals and is under no obligation to compensate you in relation to them.

If, having read and understood the above, you would like eBay to consider your ideas and proposals further, please use our "Sending Suggestions to eBay" page by copying the following link into a new browser window:

http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/newtoebay/suggest.html

Thank you again for taking the time to let us know what you want and need from our services and I wish you continued enjoyment and success on eBay in the future. Thank you for being such a valuable member of our community.

Kind regards,

I then got a follow-up "Rate our response" questionnaire which obviously only asked the questions they thought were important, but I did make the point that I had cancelled my plan to sell stuff as I felt it wouldn't be found. :x

dave_whatever
Forum Hero

Post by dave_whatever » Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:22 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Its a right pain in the arse now you can't browse by category. People will inevitably have to resort to keyword spamming to sell esoteric lenses that people might search for specifically.

dennis
Forum Hero

Post by dennis » Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:53 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Thanks for confirming it was not just me & something I had done! If you enter 'large format photography' under 'photography' you'll get a couple of pages of mainly LF gear. Dennis

Julian Boulter

Post by Julian Boulter » Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:47 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Thought it was just me! LF camera gear is fine but the lens search has gone, why are they always tinkering with this stuff? the site was great a couple of years ago but all the changes just screw it up!

Georges Giralt

Post by Georges Giralt » Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:44 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hello !
I think we are not the ones complaining about Ebay.
I used to find everything on Ebay. Be it rare or common stuff. Now when you search for something specific, only a couple of items shows up... Sellers have switched somewhere else...
And I think ebay's is working hard to get back all the money they got a few months/years ago... (the crisis should have improved their income as people tend to sell surplus in order to get cash when needed...)

joolsb
Forum Hero

Post by joolsb » Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:24 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Ebay started losing sellers when they forced everyone to accept PayPal as a payment method - and leave themselves open to the scams that go with it. If they want to get more sellers, perhaps they could start by reversing that ridiculous decision....

Georges Giralt

Post by Georges Giralt » Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:52 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Paypal is owned by Ebay since a few years...
Greed greed ! They want more cash out of our pockets...

Ed Moss

Post by Ed Moss » Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:50 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I've lost interest in ebay recently.
I recently sold an off flash camera cord, buyer never paid and I wasn't allowed to leave negative feedback. So what's the point of feedback?
Ebay had it's day around 5 years ago, since then the bargains have disappeared and most stuff is more expensive than other retailers.

richard littlewood

Post by richard littlewood » Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:32 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Terrible new layout. Like a lot of folks I'd check out my fave categories. I'm taking this opportunity to stop doing that.

Peter B
Forum Hero

Post by Peter B » Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:40 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

It's either a sign of the times or else a special Brigadoon moment for Easter, but if you go to Film Cameras you'll find that one of the related searches below the main heading is Large Format and there are currently 212 entries! :o

Andrew Plume
Forum Hero

Post by Andrew Plume » Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:36 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

yes this pantomine scenario has also been discussed over on the US LF site

at the moment..........there's been no tinkering with 'the vintage section' so let's hope they'll leave that one alone

fwiw, ebay Germany isn't the easiest site to follow either but that's a side issue

andrew