Storing open packets of film/Quickload

A place to talk about photography, the meaning of life and anything that doesn't quite fit elsewhere
jennym
Forum Hero

Storing open packets of film/Quickload

Post by jennym » Thu May 12, 2011 10:15 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Can I ask advice on how best to store open packets of film? I tend to use one main film type but carry the odd sheet of other films for use when appropriate. In the days of quickload this was easy, and I carried a few sheets of varied film types along with my main film. Now I use DDS for my main film type and still carry a QL holder and a few sheets of QL for other films in the same way, but I get through these boxes very slowly to conserve stocks! I had understood that freezing open packets of film is not a good idea, and had kept them in a cool cupboard once open. But now that I use them so slowly I am concerned about the film deteriorating, especially during the summer in Tuscany. Any helpful advice would be much appreciated. Many thanks,

Jenny

Sean Lewis
Forum Hero
Workshop Images: http://500px.com/Sean_Lewis

Re: Storing open packets of film/Quickload

Post by Sean Lewis » Thu May 12, 2011 11:28 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I have always kept my opened boxes of film (sheet and quickload) in sealable cellophane bags. I place a box in a bag, suck as much air out as I can and store it in the fridge. I've never had a problem doing it this way in my five years of LFing, touch wood. Hope this helps.

Sean

Paul Mitchell

Post by Paul Mitchell » Thu May 12, 2011 12:11 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I always pop any unused QL sheets back in the foil bag and box etc. and keep them in the fridge. Sean's zip-lock bag method for sheet film also seems very good idea.

Paul

P.S. - Is it getting hot there yet!?
When people ask what equipment I use - I tell them my eyes.

http://www.paulmitchellphotography.co.uk
http://www.arenaphotographers.com

TimH

Post by TimH » Thu May 12, 2011 2:40 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi Jenny - I have a Fuji QL box with 'GO' written on both ends in big letters.... its got a mixture of QL in it - p100/v50/160s etc. that I drop in the camera bag when I go out. Its just dumped in the fridge between shoots. By the time I get to wherever, its warmed up - never seem to have any condensation issues. When I get home, I decant exposed into a QL box labelled - yep u guessed 'EXPOSED' and chuck 'GO' back in the fridge next to 'EXPOSED' until I have enuff to send to my processor of choice...
I've started using sheet film for emulsions not available in QL. I treat opened 3part boxes of sheet film in exactly the same way. Film in DDS are kept in a lock-n-lock brand type resealable plastic box in the fridge in the same way tho they take a little longer to warm up to a non condensing point. All told - as long as boxes are closed (the red elastic bands the postie leaves all over the garden are good and free !!) then I don't think there's an issue.

Regards Tim

For long term QL/sheet storage, the (usually) unopened boxes are at -20 in the freezer.
Digi-snapper now (finally) turned LF shooter hmm been doing this long enuff - Now LF photog !

jennym
Forum Hero

Post by jennym » Thu May 12, 2011 8:26 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Thank you to Sean, Paul and Tim for your helpful comments. It sounds as though there is nothing to fear from storing the film in the fridge both before and after it's been exposed, although I may have to make a little room! We have to store additional items like carrots in the fridge in the summer or they go off too quickly, although it is not too hot yet in Tuscany - just pleasantly warm with glorious flowers and cuckoos calling across the valley all day long.
Cheers,
Jenny

Paul Mitchell

Post by Paul Mitchell » Fri May 13, 2011 8:36 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

jennym wrote:although it is not too hot yet in Tuscany - just pleasantly warm with glorious flowers and cuckoos calling across the valley all day long.
Cheers,
Jenny
Sounds idyllic
When people ask what equipment I use - I tell them my eyes.

http://www.paulmitchellphotography.co.uk
http://www.arenaphotographers.com

jennym
Forum Hero

Post by jennym » Fri May 13, 2011 9:49 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Yes, some parts of Italian life are idyllic. Other parts are somewhat more challenging.....

Thingy
Forum Hero

Post by Thingy » Fri May 13, 2011 1:44 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi Jenny, I've been broadly following TimH's method with no ill effects. I have reserved my former fruit/salad drawers at the bottom of my fridge for film and store all opened QL and boxes of sheet film there. When I travel I store the chilled film in an insulated bag and always book a cabin with a fridge on cruises so it can be stored there.... with the bottle or two of champagne and chilled water. :D

Steve
Love is an Ebony mounted with a Cooke PS945.......

joolsb
Forum Hero

Post by joolsb » Sat May 14, 2011 10:36 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Thingy wrote:I have reserved my former fruit/salad drawers at the bottom of my fridge for film and store all opened QL and boxes of sheet film there.
That's what I do. Trouble is, the film colony has outgrown my salad drawers and has now taken over the lower levels of the main compartment. Trying to prevent debris from the various bits of edible fridge contents falling on the inedible is a major headache... :(

TimH

Post by TimH » Sat May 14, 2011 12:34 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

To coin a catchphrase 'SIMPLES' - ya put the expensive film at TOP of fridge / freezer so no accidental leaky milk etc gonna mess the film 8) Anything else doesn't really matter esp as I bought the fridge/freezer I get 1st dibs as to shelf contents !!!

regards Tim
Digi-snapper now (finally) turned LF shooter hmm been doing this long enuff - Now LF photog !

Thingy
Forum Hero

Post by Thingy » Sat May 14, 2011 10:06 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

joolsb wrote:
Thingy wrote:I have reserved my former fruit/salad drawers at the bottom of my fridge for film and store all opened QL and boxes of sheet film there.
That's what I do. Trouble is, the film colony has outgrown my salad drawers and has now taken over the lower levels of the main compartment. Trying to prevent debris from the various bits of edible fridge contents falling on the inedible is a major headache... :(
I only store the opened film in the fridge. :)

All the unopened stuff (mainly QL) takes up all 4 drawers of my freezer! :twisted: :lol:
Love is an Ebony mounted with a Cooke PS945.......