Planning a DIY Film loading tent.

A place to talk about photography, the meaning of life and anything that doesn't quite fit elsewhere
Kintokoba

Planning a DIY Film loading tent.

Post by Kintokoba » Sat Jun 04, 2011 2:13 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hello folks, I'm planning a homemade changing tent and would like to run my plans by you all. I've got an old 50cm changing bag which is no use with 10 x 8 and only little use with 5 x 4. I'm mulling over using the sleeves and attaching them to a rectangular recycling bin via 2 arm holes, probably on either side of the long edges.
I'm imagining having the narrow end of the box in my lap and a pair of holes a third of the way in. I'd have the film box away from me and the darkslides in my lap, I get the feeling that I'd have a good space to work in and the lid being a tight enough fit on top to be light tight.

I simply have no budget for a Harrison Jumbo, nor indeed for that matter a Chinese copy from ebay. I've only got half a dozen of both sizes of darkslide which wont get me very far on a day out shooting landscapes.

Am I barking up the right tree or just barking?

gari
Forum Hero

Re: Planning a DIY Film loading tent.

Post by gari » Sat Jun 04, 2011 4:55 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Don't see why it wouldn't work. I would check for light tightness before starting, and then once the arms are on if it passes the first test. A light put inside and closed up, in a dark room will work.
I would probably put the arms on it's long edge as I find it easier to load holders with the film next to the holders, personal I know but may be worth just trying on a table/flat surface just to see which ergonomics you prefer before committing.
I have toyed with the idea of building a dark box for some time now, in fact I spoke with a Chippie that does work for me at work just yesterday, about building a dark box for wet plate, maybe he could make it work for loading as well? mmmmm

Gari
you don't need eyes to see, you need vision!

Joanna Carter
Founder
Workshop Images: http://grandes-images.com/fr/Paysages/P ... _2009.html

Post by Joanna Carter » Sat Jun 04, 2011 6:55 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I would say you would be better off buying the Calumet Changing Room
Reassure yourself - stroke an Ebony

Kintokoba

Post by Kintokoba » Sat Jun 04, 2011 7:27 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Thanks for the feedback Gari, it's good to know I'm on the right track! I'll put a bit of B&W paper in it and leave the box in the sunshine for an hour or so.
I did see those tents Joanna at Calumet and would have bought one without a second thought last year. Now unfortunately I am running on vapour and can only stretch to a roll of gaffer tape! It's the annual lean months of famine that visiting university lecturers get over summer :oops:

Peter B
Forum Hero

Post by Peter B » Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:17 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I'm finding it hard to picture the recycling box here. If it is anything like the one we have for paper and cans, the lid certainly won't be light-tight. and you'll maybe need a dark coloured poly sack over it. The other thing that springs to mind is that it's going to get sweaty in there fairly fast as there's no fabric involved to allow a bit of breathability, but certainly still well worth trying out. Will you be unloading the film back into a box or some form of tank, since that will have to be planned for space-wise?

Kintokoba

Post by Kintokoba » Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:46 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Initially i thought about a black plastic dustbin with the clips on the top to secure the lid. Then I thought about the Dorset recycling boxes which have a firm closure on the lids, they snap shut quite tightly. I could maybe attach a rectangle of black fabric to the lid and have curtains hang down to cover the seal. It would also absorb some moisture when my hands start panicking :lol:

Thanks for the input!

Joanna Carter
Founder
Workshop Images: http://grandes-images.com/fr/Paysages/P ... _2009.html

Post by Joanna Carter » Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:52 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Can I suggest, whatever the container you choose, that the first thing you do is wait until after dark, place a very bright torch inside the box, close it and, after allowing a few minutes for your eyes to adjust to the dark, check if you can see any illumination coming through the walls of the container. It's amazing how translucent some, apparently, black plastics can be :shock:
Reassure yourself - stroke an Ebony

Neil Barnes
Forum Hero

Post by Neil Barnes » Sun Jun 05, 2011 1:41 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Also - many plastics are infrared transparent...

Kintokoba

Post by Kintokoba » Sun Jun 05, 2011 3:51 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Good plan Joanna, thanks for that, with every post I am forced to refine and reconsider my project. If it works it means the money I save will buy me 75 sheets of slightly dated B&W, a bottle of HC 110 and a few negsleeves, importantly it means that I can actually start going out and shooting all day and not limiting myself to 12 exposures.
I'd not thought about the infrared aspect Neil, best keep my fingers crossed with that! I'll test a sheet of E6 because I think I'll notice any aberrations clearly that way.Cheers!