A source of inexpensive large-format cameras

A place to talk about photography, the meaning of life and anything that doesn't quite fit elsewhere
Neil Barnes
Forum Hero

A source of inexpensive large-format cameras

Post by Neil Barnes » Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:42 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

While browsing through some old bound magazines - The Amateur Photographer and Photography, 1923 - I came across the following advert.

My google-fu is not strong on this, but from what I can see, a skilled manual worker would have an income of perhaps sixty shillings a week - three pounds. A person in the professions would of course earn significantly more - but even so, these are not cheap items.

As it happens, I have a Sanderson Tropical, but in quarter-plate rather than 4x5.

Interesting to see the number of formats available - and both plates and film seemed be in common use. What is fascinating is the discussions on how many candlepower the oil-lamp for your home-made enlarger should be. So much we take for granted: then the only exposure meters used the 'pull a bit of paper out and see how long before it went dark' technique; panchromatic film not yet common; development by factorial time; cold-weather developers...

Just off to see if the time machine is working yet!

Neil
Attachments
0852.jpeg
0852.jpeg (229.12 KiB) Viewed 2193 times

Thingy
Forum Hero

Re: A source of inexpensive large-format cameras

Post by Thingy » Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:55 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Nice to see Zeiss lenses available at such reasonable prices. Should you get you time machine working, I quite fancy that Verascope with a Tessar lens. My first SLR (Practika L2) has a Tessar f2.8 lens.
Love is an Ebony mounted with a Cooke PS945.......