Adox APH09

A place to talk about photography, the meaning of life and anything that doesn't quite fit elsewhere
dennis
Forum Hero

Adox APH09

Post by dennis » Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:43 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

For the first time ever in over 50 years I processed a film yesterday & it was completely blank. OK it was a 35 mm one & had been thro a Ricoh GR1 camera which appeared to be functioning correctly, i.e. the frames numbers changed in the little screen on top & it sounded as tho the shutter was working, but it would seem it wasn't - or do you have another suggestion? Process DID follow the usual pattern - dev, stop, fix. Sad thing is, I put another film in before the processing . . .
Since discovered a forum with this subject & it appears that Adox APH09 developer does not keep as did the original Rodinal. The bottle I have, hardly used, was bought from Retrographic (now defunct I believe), & after one use it went dark brown. I queried this with Retro & was told it was normal & it would keep/work perfectly well; it does state on the bottle that it keeps indefinitely - it doesn't. Waste of money in my case. I shall revert to D76/ID11.
Last edited by dennis on Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:40 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00, edited 1 time in total.

banana_legs

Re: Blank film

Post by banana_legs » Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:18 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Is the film completely blank; i.e. are there any frame numbers/ film name running along the edge? If there are numbers but no images, the shutter may not be opening. If there are not even any numbers on the edge, then there was a problem with the developer stage and the camera may be fine.

Best regards,

Evan
More mad ramblings at http://blog.concretebanana.co.uk

dennis
Forum Hero

Re: Blank film

Post by dennis » Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:53 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Evan,
I should have thought of that. It was completely blank, so it looks as if the developer was at fault. I am using APH09, which is supposed to be the equivalent of the old Rodinal, but it has gone a very dark colour despite being a nearly full bottle. It has been OK previously, but it is not used very frequently these days. Thanks for your suggestion. Dennis.