Assigning scanner profiles sans PS on a mac

A place to talk about photography, the meaning of life and anything that doesn't quite fit elsewhere
dave_whatever
Forum Hero

Assigning scanner profiles sans PS on a mac

Post by dave_whatever » Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:23 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Quick one for those of us using IT8 targets and calibrated scanners....

I've got my 4990 set up so I generate a flat "raw" scan from the epson scan software, then open the image in Photoshop CS5 and then assign the ICM profile (that i've previously generated for my scanner and faust target) which takes care of the colours, then convert to some wide gamut colour space like ProPhotoRGB. I then generally have to tweak a bit with levels or curves or whatever, but essentially the colours are spot on. All good, and I suspect this is a familiar workflow to many of us.

However, the problem I now have is I've always lets say "acquired" copies of photoshop via various means. Now for one reason or another I feel the need to pay my way a bit more, plus my cracked copy of CS5 just stopped working. What with also using digital it would be nice to move from the bridge+photoshop combo to something a bit more like Aperture or even lightroom. The problem being that as far as I can tell, at present neither Aperture or Lightroom have the facility to assign the scanner profile to images as described above. I'm really not down with spending £5-600 on photoshop or whatever it costs these days, especially since I only use about 0.01% of its actual capability.

So basically if I was to go down the Ap/LR route I need to find a tool that would sit between Epsonscan and Ap/LR in the scanning workflow to handle assigning the scanner profile to the image. And its going to have to be available for a mac, not windows. And ideally by free or close to free. And work in 16bit.....

I've tried Gimp. but currently this is limited to 8 bit. Tried using ColourSync Utility on the mac but no joy. Elements might be worth a look but from trying the copy I have at work, it seems that it can't do the profile assigning business. Any ideas?

Robert J Fallis

Re: Assigning scanner profiles sans PS on a mac

Post by Robert J Fallis » Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:01 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

the new gimp 2.8 will support the import of 16bit raw files ,it's due for release at the end of the year????????
but what it does with the 16bits it does not say. see this link
http://www.gimpusers.com/tutorials/gimp ... april-2010

regards
bob

dave_whatever
Forum Hero

Re: Assigning scanner profiles sans PS on a mac

Post by dave_whatever » Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:38 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hmm, that would be good, but being open source I think I'll not be holding my breath!