Ground glass

A place to talk about photography, the meaning of life and anything that doesn't quite fit elsewhere
Charles Twist
Founder

Ground glass

Post by Charles Twist » Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:08 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Does anyone in the UK make or sell ground glass or maybe even frosted glass? It's for a half-plate camera and I don't intend to get the latest, ultra-bright grade - cheap and cheerful is fine. There are a few people States-side, selling eg on Ebay, but I don't much fancy the idea of postage.
Any experience will be gratefully received.
Regards,
Charles

Neil Barnes
Forum Hero

Re: Ground glass

Post by Neil Barnes » Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:49 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Experience is suggesting that polycarb and fine glasspaper works, but not well. I'm about to chase some 2mm picture framing glass and speak nicely to a man with a bead blaster - given that he's just had to replace the viewing window he had to replace, this has possibilities.

But I have not yet located a ground glass supplier, so any leads would be appreciated.

Neil

Fourtoes
Forum Hero

Post by Fourtoes » Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:19 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi Charles,
Have a word with John, he just made a great GG for his 12x15. Looks real good.

Robert J Fallis

Post by Robert J Fallis » Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:13 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

charles,
making ground glass is easy. you need two pieces of glass. cut to the right size. then you need the stuff [carborundum] that people use to polish stones with. put one piece of glass on a pad of newspaper. put some of the powder and a little water on it. and then make a sandwich with the other piece of glass, then grind the two together. it takes about 40mins but you get two bits of ground glass out of it.

bob

http://www.stonepolishing.co.uk/

IanG
Forum Hero

Post by IanG » Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:35 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I make ground glass.

In fact I'm about to make a large batch in various sizes :D

Ian

Andrew Plume
Forum Hero

Post by Andrew Plume » Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:13 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi Charles

I can confirm that Ian does make really good glass

best regards

andrew

IanG
Forum Hero

Post by IanG » Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:31 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Andrew Plume wrote:Hi Charles

I can confirm that Ian does make really good glass

best regards

andrew
Thanks Andrew.

If anyone needs a screen and lets me know the dimensions I can make it with my batch which will be 50-100 screens in various sizes.

Ian

vanman
Forum Hero

Post by vanman » Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:05 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Changing the subject slightly are you the same Charles Twist who claimed that you "and a handful of others" set up this forum because "there was no real online communal force for large-format camera users"? If this is a misquote are you going to demand an apology from AmateurPhotographer? If not has Joanna never told you about the original Large Format photography Forum that has been going for years, I think that I've been a member for about ten years.
Sincerley,
Vanman.

Joanna Carter
Founder
Workshop Images: http://grandes-images.com/fr/Paysages/P ... _2009.html

Post by Joanna Carter » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:13 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

vanman wrote:Changing the subject slightly are you the same Charles Twist who claimed that you "and a handful of others" set up this forum because "there was no real online communal force for large-format camera users"? If this is a misquote are you going to demand an apology from AmateurPhotographer? If not has Joanna never told you about the original Large Format photography Forum that has been going for years, I think that I've been a member for about ten years.
Of course Charles was talking to a UK magazine about online support in the UK. At the time we formed the UKLFPG, none of us were then even aware of the US group and, since we are looking to suuport UK photographers, I see no problem with promoting our own group rather than contributing to yet another American group, regardless of how good you might consider it to be. If UK photographers took as much time supporting UK groups as they do American ones we would have a much more vibrant UK community.
Reassure yourself - stroke an Ebony

Charles Twist
Founder

Post by Charles Twist » Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:40 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hello Vanman,
A suitably gritty response to a thread on ground glass. Final aside before we move this to a separate thread: yes I am the same person. Joanna has given you an excellent answer with which I agree entirely. The AP article was written on the back of 2 interviews, one with me for general stuff and one with John Brewer for technical stuff. I think the journalist did a good job of transcribing what I said, even though there are inaccuracies. This forum has over 500 members (674 members right now), not over 5000. It also says I have been learning LF for all these years. Well yes, learn more every day and all that, but my ego wouldn't have allowed me to say that. Also, an apology is due to the photographers whose work illustrates the article. Their ego was badly dented when a mere copyright was given in very small type rather than a full credit in the caption. I had no opportunity to read the proof. I assure Graham, Tony and Marizu that their work was duly credited when it left me. Apparently, it's a question of the magazine's style.
For all its faults, the article had the merit of drawing attention to the type of work, to the forum, to the festival I organised. What have you done of late to bring LF to the masses? If you want to answer, start a new thread called "evangelism" or "publicity" or whatever.
Regards,
Charles

Fourtoes
Forum Hero

Post by Fourtoes » Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:53 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Well said Charles.

Now back to the ground glass. I'll be having a go at a whole plate glass tomorrow.....