Tripod adapter

A place to talk about photography, the meaning of life and anything that doesn't quite fit elsewhere
Dave Shutter

Tripod adapter

Post by Dave Shutter » Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:38 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi,
I purchased a great c/f on tripod holiday in America, the screw that retains my wooden 5*4 is the wrong size! Does anybody make adapters?

Emmanuel Bigler
Forum Hero

Re: Tripod adapter

Post by Emmanuel Bigler » Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:31 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hello from France !

the screw that retains my wooden 5*4 is the wrong size! Does anybody make adapters?

If your tripod's screw is the "small" one i.e. 1/4" - 20 tpi (the "Kodak" one), and if you camera's is the "big" one 3/8" - 16 tpi (the "congress" one), the problem is almost solved.
Tripod adaptors converting a male 1/4" to male 3/8" are standard products.
You have two kinds, the cheap and short one, and a more expensive, longer one, made of brass. I prefer the long brass one for a view camera. Brass screws usually never stick.

I have ordered mine from Foto Brenner in Germany but I'm sure that various mail-order vendors have them in stock ... if you can't find them in a real street shop like in the good old days !

the small & cheap one
the long one in brass, the one I prefer for heavy cameras

Now if your problem is the reverse, i.e. a "big" 3/8" tripod screw and a small 1/4" camera thread, then you have to consider another solution like those adaptor plates .. made in England !

Dave Shutter

Re: Tripod adapter

Post by Dave Shutter » Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:44 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Thanks for taking the time to reply, I am sorted now.
This site is a mine of information and members are so keen to share their hard earnt knowledge
Thanks once again,
Kind regards,
David