Budget lf tripod?

A place to talk about photography, the meaning of life and anything that doesn't quite fit elsewhere
Trevor Davies

Budget lf tripod?

Post by Trevor Davies » Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:35 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I realise this is an oxymoron, however…
I've bought an early 60's MPP 5x4, well used, needing some restoration for full functionality. I want to get started shooting, and need a tripod. Any suggestions for something strong but unsophisticated?
Will a Benbo ball & socket head support this camera? Anyone used a Gitzo Gilux Reporter? Would this be a workable combination?
Many thanks
Trevor

Paul Mitchell

Re: Budget lf tripod?

Post by Paul Mitchell » Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:16 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Trevor

I have a Benbo Explorer with a ball head and would be reticent to pop a MPP on top, I'd even shy away from using it with my lightweight Chamonix 45N. With the Benbo MK2 you might be OK... Basically the sturdier the better, but with rigidity comes weight unless you have £600 squids spare for a CF Gitzo. I don't own a Gitzo Gilux Reporter but I believe it will suit LF perfectly the only caveat is its weight. Have you thought about a wooden tripod? Berlbach is one brand thats springs to mind.

Paul
When people ask what equipment I use - I tell them my eyes.

http://www.paulmitchellphotography.co.uk
http://www.arenaphotographers.com

Trevor Davies

Post by Trevor Davies » Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:39 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hello Paul,
Thanks for your quick reply!
I've looked at wooden tripods online but the ones I've seen are too expensive for me at the moment.
I asked about the Gitzo because I've just seen one in a camera repair shop in London. It's obviously an early version (absolutely no fancy adjustments - 3 section legs and a fixed angle at the head). However, it seems very solid and stable (and heavy) for £40. It has no head, but he has the large Benbo ball and socket which looks unused, again £40. I hoped this might have done the trick in the short term, but it sounds unlikely from your observations.

Incidentally, the camera is going to need some attention (a couple of missing parts relating to back movement and front standard rise), but its basic functions are OK, I think. I'm hoping the MPP users club may be of some assistance when my membership comes through.

Thanks again
Trevor

Andrew Plume
Forum Hero

Post by Andrew Plume » Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:50 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi Trevor

for my few cents worth, it's never a bad idea to go to a dealer who has a number in stock, that way you can play around with a few until you find one that fits the bill

teamwork in Foley Street W1 generally have a few around

but (and to some on here it's not the store to recommend :lol: ).........................

mr cad in West Croydon almost certainly have a vast stock to include new Berlebach tripods too

good luck

andrew

TimH

Post by TimH » Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:03 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Ok - I know postage from Scotland will be a bit but FFordes have several good aluminium tripods lurking under the guise of 'commission sales' ie used !! such as

http://www.ffordes.com/product/11062814135181

This would do you for years - may take that long for a posh carbon one :-) - mate that up with eg :-

http://www.ffordes.com/product/11072718171881

I've got a feisol carbon one myself - seems reliable and quite a bit cheaper than a gitzo - the uk importer living 4 miles down the road was a help :-)

regards Tim.....
Digi-snapper now (finally) turned LF shooter hmm been doing this long enuff - Now LF photog !

dave_whatever
Forum Hero

Post by dave_whatever » Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:18 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I don't think you will go far wrong with a second hand Manfrotto 055. Plentyful, sturdy and relatively cheap.

Neil Barnes
Forum Hero

Post by Neil Barnes » Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:42 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Second vote the Manfrotto 055 - I use mine without a head; the 3/8 thread goes straight into the MPP.

Neil

Trevor Davies

Post by Trevor Davies » Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:36 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Thanks for all of your replies! I'll go googling with your recommendations and digest what I find.
The tripods you mention aren't specifically recommended for large format. Should I be taking the product descriptions less literally?
Thanks again!

John Hamlen

Post by John Hamlen » Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:57 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Another vote from me for the Feisol tripods (I'm very pleased with my CT-3371 for a 10x8 field camera though go for smaller & cheaper for lighter 5x4).

Don't worry about tripods not being specifically recommended for LF. LF is such a small market for them that it probably isn't worth the ink on their brochures :D The important thing is to have a tripod sturdy enough to handle the big lump of a LF camera sitting on top of it. So...
1) check out the max load rating of the tripod
2) check out the max load rating of the head and try to get one with a nice big plate (or go the "no head" route like Neil)
3) avoid centre columns if you don't need one

e.g. in my case:
1) Feisol CT-3371 = 12kg capacity
2) Gitzo G1570M = 10kg capacity

So the head is the weak link in my chain, but the weight of the camera + any lens I'm likely to use will be comfortably less than 10kg. You could do a similar calculation to evaluate your options. Good luck, John

craigmagee

Post by craigmagee » Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:07 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Third for the manfrotto 055, can't go wrong with one of those.
I have a 055mf3 pro, carbon/mag tripod with a 110 geared head and its been spot on.
Also have an ali 055 pro with a 029 head, that lives out in Spain, which is a bombproof budget combo.
Only thing i'd say is avoid the new ones with the swing out center column as they don't seem as rigid to me.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Craig Magee - http://www.craigmagee.co.uk - http://blog.craigmagee.co.uk

Charles Twist
Founder

Post by Charles Twist » Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:07 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I bought the Calumet equivalent of the Manfrotto 055, as it was cheaper and, having tested a few models, found it to be sturdier than all the others in its price bracket. I got it 7 years ago for £120 (including the head) and it's still doing its job. It's very resilient with no fiddly parts that get jammed, bounces back from knocks and travel in airplane holds, and is very easy to repair or alter. It has its faults like all things: the bolts in the legs rusted quickly and needed replacing with stainless steel or brass ones - as if Calumet couldn't afford the £2... The plate is a bit small. Unlike the bolts which are commendably easy to change, there's not much you can do about this (although I did, with a little DIY). So another vote for big plates, and even better, if they exist (?), a plate that has two points of attachment to the camera to avoid any rotation (you might need to modify the camera and/or plate to create the second point).
I wouldn't bother with CF unless you are rich and hike a lot.
Regards,
Charles