The possibilities for creating new forums on here

A place to talk about photography, the meaning of life and anything that doesn't quite fit elsewhere
Joanna Carter
Founder
Workshop Images: http://grandes-images.com/fr/Paysages/P ... _2009.html

Re: The possibilities for creating new forums on here

Post by Joanna Carter » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:38 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Joanna Carter wrote:Not without a lot more knowledge as to how the colours are set…
Further investigation shows that the colour is so set to indicate that I am one of the Administrators. Yes, we do have more than one, it's just that I appear here more than the others 8) This is something that the forum software does automatically and is intended that people can easily see who to contact should they have any problems with the forums. For these reasons, I intend to leave the colour as it is, not as a "power" thing but as a flag for those who need to contact an administrator.
Reassure yourself - stroke an Ebony

IanG
Forum Hero

Post by IanG » Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:48 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

The simple solution is that the Admin role be separated from normal postings by creating a separate Acccount and login.

I see that heavy handed censorship's been taking place today. So it's alright to use subterfuge to buy items on this forum at bargain prices and then sell them shortly after for much higher prices elsewhere ?

Ian

Joanna Carter
Founder
Workshop Images: http://grandes-images.com/fr/Paysages/P ... _2009.html

Post by Joanna Carter » Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:17 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

IanG wrote:The simple solution is that the Admin role be separated from normal postings by creating a separate Acccount and login.
Ian, whatever you may think about this issue, the truth is that, in six years, nobody else has even mentioned it. This forum was started by a bunch of friends who wanted to help each other; there has never been any intention or otherwise of it being anything other than a talking shop with, possibly, less rules and restrictions than some other forums.

There really is no hidden agenda or power base and, to the best of my knowledge, this is the first occasion that such issues have been raised. We, sort of, assumed that anyone joining the forums would see them as we did, with those of us who "hold office" being there to help rather than interfere.

I am a moderator by default as part of the original gang who set up the UKLFPG but, apart from the past week or so, I have never had to moderate anyone's posts, only occasionally editing some posts where people haven't quite got the hang of using tags for marking quotes, images, etc; but then only to help future readers follow conversations more easily.

I am an administrator because I have the dubious responsibility of helping to manage the mechanics of the board, nothing more.

Anyone joining these forums should do so on the understanding that, whilst someone has to be in charge of the day to day running for everybody's benefit, everyone who joins, including myself should be here for friendship and mutual help. We appreciate your knowledge and experience, which is greater than mine in certain areas; others will have more knowledge than you in other areas but that doesn't mean any one of us is superior, just that we might know more about one subject or another and wish to share that knowledge.

Please take this opportunity to get to know us better. I am not prepared to add another account for myself as this would get very confusing working out who am I posting as. Like Charles, I will let you know if I am acting in a moderating or administrating role, otherwise, please assume I am posting as an ordinary user.
IanG wrote:I see that heavy handed censorship's been taking place today. So it's alright to use subterfuge to buy items on this forum at bargain prices and then sell them shortly after for much higher prices elsewhere ?
This has already been explained but I will reiterate there has been no subterfuge, simply a misunderstanding of what is really going on.
Reassure yourself - stroke an Ebony

dave_whatever
Forum Hero

Post by dave_whatever » Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:33 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Its pretty standard for admins/mods on this type of board software (phpbb and others) to just post using their normal accounts without needing seperate admin accounts. This is how it is for example on the american LF site, and FADU etc. Its the same on a non-photo related forum I moderate on. I see no need to be any different here. Everyone needs to just accept that a handful of people have to be mods/admin and deal with it. Its not worth losing sleep over.

Charles Twist
Founder

Post by Charles Twist » Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:56 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I stand by Joanna on that one. Obviously, if there is a lot of demand for double logins, then we'll do that. Sadly for you Ian, your voice is just one and we can't conform with the wishes of each and every member on here. We'd never get anywhere.
So it's alright to use subterfuge to buy items on this forum at bargain prices and then sell them shortly after for much higher prices elsewhere ?
No it is not alright. Nobody has ever said it is alright. You are twisting words and making fact your insinuations and assumptions. We have taken note of your objection and we are investigating it. You would have had the same result and a lot less heart-ache if you had contacted us by pm. You had the chance to tell me privately several times in the last couple months, but instead, you have chosen to let it fester. That's your choice - don't blame the poor sods keeping the show on the road.
For clarity, it is alright to sell or buy for a profit, but it is not alright to sell or buy by subterfuge.

Regards,
Charles

IanG
Forum Hero

Post by IanG » Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:30 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

A point is being missed here, the specific highlghting of an Admin posters name in Bold red with this Forum software is deliberate to give all Admin posts importance. It's not typical to use an Admin login to post normally or moderate, the admin function is often kept separate. Other boards have been mentioned they don't use this software so run of the mill posts by an Admin posts aren't so blatant.

BTW I'm not the only person to have asked if this could be changed.

Ian

Fourtoes
Forum Hero

Post by Fourtoes » Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:46 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Blimey people, does it really matter???

Take a step back and re read you posts....I've just done that and I'm sitting here shaking my head in disbelief.

Life is far too short.

Tony (Fourtoes)

IanG
Forum Hero

Post by IanG » Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:57 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Tony, the Red highlighting is trivial however because it's the norm here for the 3 ? admins there's nothing to distinguish their run of the mill posts from genuine Admin announcements. No that's not critical it might just be useful.

Unfortunately a large number of posts were deleted from another thread in a different sub-forum and unless you'd read them my other comments make no sense. I will make my points privately to all the moderators and Admins.

Ian

Fourtoes
Forum Hero

Post by Fourtoes » Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:18 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Fair enough.