The possibilities for creating new forums on here

A place to talk about photography, the meaning of life and anything that doesn't quite fit elsewhere
Andrew Plume
Forum Hero

Re: The possibilities for creating new forums on here

Post by Andrew Plume » Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:28 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Andrew Plume wrote:
Joanna Carter wrote:
Andrew Plume wrote:Note for the mod's of this forum
"Note to Andrew: one thing that would help people find and follow threads is if you could try and avoid making several short replies, one after the other, in the same thread.......................".

well if that's the case Joanna, you clearly do not have much respect for their intelligence and abilities ::dose: do you :?: - you'll find that there are an awful lot of people on here who are highly intelligent - they're not being asked to pick a particular paragraph out of the New Testament are they? OR perhaps in your 'day time' job you're used to dealing with infant children or something similar, therefore the apparent need for you to say that and to adopt this stance?

please stop talking down to people on here, me included. Thankyou

andrew
Last edited by Andrew Plume on Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:40 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00, edited 4 times in total.

Andrew Plume
Forum Hero

Post by Andrew Plume » Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:31 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Joanna

I've said on here before (and I'm sorry to say that you did not bother to reply) that you are driving away existing and potentially new members by your unnecessary intrusive and petty style - why not take a leaf out of the mods book over on the LFPF? - they do the opposite of what you've just done to me - perhaps we could do with some of those often 'volative' people from that forum joining this one, no names mentioned.....................and then we would see some fun if they were on the receiving end of this sort of approach

Do you want this forum, sorry and I'll repeat it again YOUR FORUM to grow or not? You clearly had good intentions at the start of this but shouldn't you just 'back down' and moderate and not overly tinker? which btw is the attitude that's taken by Charles imho

I have to say Joanna that if I was a potential new recruit to this forum, I'd be wondering long and hard whether it was worth a candle or the bother in joining up, what with the possibility of my posts having to be 'pre-vetted' beforehand and then 'doctored'.........................

and how would you feel if this happened to you, please?

andrew
Last edited by Andrew Plume on Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:28 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00, edited 3 times in total.

Andrew Plume
Forum Hero

Post by Andrew Plume » Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:34 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Joanna

is your clearly apparent irritation with me instigated by my role in kickstarting this line of discussion in what blindly appears to be YOUR FORUM? - y'know you could always start up your own blog and tinker with it all day long, in that way you will only have yourself to placate?

after all Charles did suggest that I instigate this, didn't he?

andrew
Last edited by Andrew Plume on Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:47 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00, edited 1 time in total.

Andrew Plume
Forum Hero

Post by Andrew Plume » Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:46 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

and another point Joanna:-

"............the forum structure is unlikely to change significantly and, since none of us get paid for looking after the forums, I can't yet see a strong enough case for having to spend hours moving posts and forums.................."

but you're perfectly happy spending unnecessary time 'editing' my posts and being over intrusive - yes guys there's plenty of time for that it appears

Joanna - what I suggested was an extremely relevant point - one that you've sidestepped (yet again) - so how about a constructive less defensive answer, please?

andrew

Andrew Plume
Forum Hero

Post by Andrew Plume » Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:59 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

oh Joanna

an apology wouldn't go a miss y'know together with a categoric confirmation from you that you will refrain from amending my future posts :?:

and Charles said recently that this was 'everybody's forum' :!: well........................

andrew

acs

Post by acs » Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:33 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Andrew,

I didn't read anything negative into Joanna's post.
Joanna Carter wrote:...I can't yet see a strong enough case for having to spend hours moving posts and forums.

Don't get me wrong; we are not against change, it's simply a case of pleasing the most people for the least effort 8)
If people want change then we need some consensus and, as Joanna is pointing out, we don't seem to have that yet. Any significant change will change how people use this forum, and could involve more mods, etc. We need to be aware that change could be good or bad -- I've seen quite active forums collapse following changes made in haste so I think Joanna's caution is wise, but that in no way prevents or restricts the discussion you've started.

Andrew Plume
Forum Hero

Post by Andrew Plume » Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:24 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi thanks for this

me, I'm more than happy to go with the flow - I felt that it was the right time to air some views regarding this forum, as a whole

there is very much a history of Joanna being overly defensive and avoiding answering issues that she has kicked off, I'm afraid

regards

andrew

vanman
Forum Hero

Post by vanman » Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:48 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I really believe that Andrew is right. I would not like any of my threads removed or edited by a moderator. I have never heard of this happening on any other photography forum (except for posts on religion or politics where such posts are banned) and my wife posts on craft forums and has no experience of this happening in the crafting world.
I would love to know how Charles feels about this issue.
This all needs bringing to a head and sorting out for the benifit of other forum users and also for the credibility of the forum.
vanman.
Last edited by vanman on Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:13 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00, edited 1 time in total.

Andrew Plume
Forum Hero

Post by Andrew Plume » Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:51 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi Vanman

thanks indeed for what is certainly a very constructive post :lol: :lol: :lol:

regards to you, Sir

andrew

Charles Twist
Founder

Post by Charles Twist » Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:47 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

[With my moderator hat on - for the second time in 24 hours and the third in 6 years]
Hello All,
It's been another long day and it's been made longer by 2 vast emails from Andrew and one long phone call from Joanna. As one of the two uninvolved moderators, I understand my duty to step in, even though I've got bills to pay and a house to maintain. So I haven't read the entirety of this thread but I have the gist of it. Now first to Vanman's query:
I would not like any of my threads removed or edited by a moderator. I have never heard of this happening on any other photography forum
For the record: None of Andrew's posts have been deleted. Not one.
What has happened, is that three of his posts got put in to one. That's all.
In the last 6 years, only one post ever got deleted by a moderator. That was when someone unleashed a personal attack. So it's not unheard of, but it's really rare.
The reason Joanna took on herself to sort out Andrew's posts, is to make the threads easier to read. We're all talking about the usability of the forum. We're talking about the confusion generated when there are too many forums. I have to ask how easy it is to read the posts of a member when he posts serially. Looking at this particular thread, I see that Andrew has posted 6 answers to his own post. So that's seven consecutive posts all by one person.
Now we get to the nub of the problem. Content versus style. A moderator on large forums with thousands of members (who rarely know each other offline) will only deal with content. When this forum started out, it was a bunch of people who got on really well at a physical gathering in the real world. The forum was small and the moderators kept it looking trim. There were no guidelines, no requirements to post in a particular style. It's just every now and again a thread's content would be tidied up for legibility. Joanna has done a sterling job. What we have now are growing pains. New members want things we hadn't envisaged and bring with them their experiences of other forums. So this forum is now adapting to the new reality.
In the meanwhile, we the moderators are still behaving as if the forum is a bunch of friends. So yes, as it happens, four of us agreed to administer the forum and keep it in good nick. But at the end of the day, we're just regular members. We contribute our questions and answers. We proffer opinions. Above all, we're human and approachable. Because of the duties we took on, the software has labelled Joanna and me as moderators. Some people here seem to think that as a consequence, we should be saints. It isn't like that.
I have told Joanna to be less forceful in venturing her opinions - less tub thumping - and now I ask Andrew (and those who agree with him) to give us the room to change. Joanna's recent comments have all been calm and considered (as ACS has said), so let's all just settle down and rub along. Please.
If you want to resume the original topic of this thread, please do. If not, I'll lock the thread and take the conversation offline.
Regards,
Charles
[Moderator hat off / Plumber's hard hat on]

IanG
Forum Hero

Post by IanG » Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:10 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

As it was my post that was deleted, I'll just say that others are now posting exactly the same sentiments. Maybe my post was too close to the mark and personal but I call a spade a spade.

There is a need to Moderate the Moderator unfortunately on this forum (and the US LF Forum), and turn off the Red bold highlighting drawing attention to every post made, even when not acting as a moderator.

The Classiofieds section needs to have some rules preventing blatant dealing on the forum, it's not on that someone helps someone out loooking for an item here and within a week it's sold on Ebay or the US forum for 50% more. Just a quick look at a members recent posts indicates who's dealing and who's a genuine member.

Ian
Last edited by IanG on Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:24 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00, edited 1 time in total.

Andrew Plume
Forum Hero

Post by Andrew Plume » Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:14 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hello Charles

Thanks indeed for your input - I have as usual no issue with what you have had to say

All that is necessary is for Joanna to rein herself in, to stop tinkering and to avoid being overly intrusive and yes, we will all rub along

With your confirmation here, I'm more than willing to 'back down' and we can then return to the crux of the original post (made by me) but I would prefer for my comments to remain on here

best regards

andrew :D

Andrew Plume
Forum Hero

Post by Andrew Plume » Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:45 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

IanG wrote:"and turn off the Red bold highlighting drawing attention to every post made, even when not acting as a moderator......"
Joanna

Could you turn the 'red light off' please?

thankyou

andrew

Joanna Carter
Founder
Workshop Images: http://grandes-images.com/fr/Paysages/P ... _2009.html

Post by Joanna Carter » Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:49 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Not without a lot more knowledge as to how the colours are set but, so far, I have determined that changing the colour for the user names can also change the appearance of other things in the forums. I may be a consultant software engineer but web stuff is not something with which I am familiar.
Reassure yourself - stroke an Ebony

Andrew Plume
Forum Hero

Post by Andrew Plume » Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:46 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

right, understood

I'd been wondering what you did outside of Le Grandes Images

andrew