Lacock Abbey: worth it?

A place to talk about photography, the meaning of life and anything that doesn't quite fit elsewhere
Charles Twist
Founder

Lacock Abbey: worth it?

Post by Charles Twist » Sun Aug 21, 2011 5:26 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I'll be in the Lacock Abbey area in a couple weeks' time. I was wondering if it was worth paying £11.50 plus parking to have a look at the Talbot museum. It seems a lot of the collection has gone to the British museum, but I don't know if that's just the prints and plates, or also a lot of the gear. Is there much to see there now? Anybody know?
With it being National Trust, I expect there'll be a blanket ban on photography. And the garden is being redesigned, it seems too.
So is it worth going?
Thank you. Regards,
Charles

IanG
Forum Hero

Re: Lacock Abbey: worth it?

Post by IanG » Sun Aug 21, 2011 6:23 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

It's definitely worth going. The museum's small but very good and the house and grounds outstanding as is the village itself. Parkings free in the village and closer :D

Ian

Robin Wait

Post by Robin Wait » Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:00 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Agree with IanG; plus, if you join the National Trust, it's free. My recollection is that there aren't a huge number of historical images in the main museum. There is a separate exhibition space, the content of which varies.
They seem OK about non-commercial photography in the grounds and cloisters; not sure about in the house (haven't tried; generally with the NT these days non-flash indoor photography is OK, but tripods are not usually allowed inside). What I have noticed with National Trust Properties in general is that if you come with a large format camera a volunteer is dispatched to (more or less) politely, inquire if you are a professional. This has never happened to me when I'm just using a digital SLR .
Robin

acs

Post by acs » Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:30 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Robin Wait wrote:They seem OK about non-commercial photography in the grounds and cloisters; not sure about in the house (haven't tried; generally with the NT these days non-flash indoor photography is OK, but tripods are not usually allowed inside).
Non commercial seems to be ok in most places now, the exception being where there are possible rights issues over loaned paintings etc.
A small shoulder bag (body + extra lens) is about the limit of what most places will let you wander round with.

banana_legs

Post by banana_legs » Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:59 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

On a quiet day about a year ago, I took my pinhole camera around with a small table-top tripod. I spoke to the NT folks in each of the rooms where I used it and they all agreed that Fox-Talbot would have probably approved and let me take an image. I made sure the exposures were all completed in just a few minutes in the busy areas and set-up towards the edge of the room so I was not in the way; I also only took one picture at a time so not to outstay my welcome. In the cloisters and gardens, I had no problems. Laycock does get busy though and on other days, I may have been more limited with photographs within the house.

Best regards,

Evan
More mad ramblings at http://blog.concretebanana.co.uk

Matt_Bigwood
Forum Hero

Post by Matt_Bigwood » Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:13 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

As Ian said, parking in the village is free, but difficult to find a space in the school holiday season. There's a large National Trust car and coach park a short walk from the Abbey and museum which is free for NT members and £2 (I think) otherwise.

As others have said, the museum is small, as is the exhibition space, but there are good exhibitions there from time to time.

I went there in May and took a number of digital pictures in the Abbey and house without being challenged by the powers that be.

Definitely worth a visit if you are in the area.

John Brewer

Post by John Brewer » Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:08 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Compulsory Charles as it taking a shot of a particular window. I've been several times when I lived in Bristol. Is there room for me in your LF rucksack? Actually do contact them if you want to shoot with a tripod, they get a bit funny if anyone looks remotely professional.

J

Charles Twist
Founder

Post by Charles Twist » Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:27 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Thanks everyone for your views. I went to Lacock last weekend and it was a worth-while visit. The exhibition on Fox Talbot is indeed not vast, but provides a good insight in to the man and his contribution to photography. It was interesting seeing a variety of old pictures, including a daguerrotype or two. Never seen any before and I have to say they are beguiling.
The rest of the grounds provide good photo opportunities and the staff are very photographer friendly - based on previous NT experience, a rare and welcome experience.
Regards,
Charles
Pictures later when I receive some fresh dev...