Any unwanted negatives?

A place to talk about photography, the meaning of life and anything that doesn't quite fit elsewhere
John Hamlen

Any unwanted negatives?

Post by John Hamlen » Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:34 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Dear Large Format Photo Folks,

Would any of you be able to help me with the following:

I have committed to doing LF photography presentation in a couple of weeks to my local photography club. I'm busy putting the Powerpoint slides together, but one thing I'd like to do is pass around different sized negatives to the audience so they can see and feel the difference between say 35mm, a 6x6cm, a 5x4 and (ideally) a 10x8 negatives.
One small problem: I no longer have negatives of any size!
My faltering attempts with my "new" 10x8 have been with direct positive paper. I will be (hopefully) be doing a demonstration of taking and developing a portrait with this on the night, but in many ways it won't have the "ohh-arr" impact of someone holding a LF and 35mm negative in their hands and comparing them.

Does any kind person have a selection of unwanted, different sized negatives they wouldn't mind shoving in an envelope and sending to me? Any help will be very much appreciated and - if you're in the Ingatestone area on the 30th Sept - you could even come along and join in the fun!

Many thanks in advance,
John

Neil Barnes
Forum Hero

Re: Any unwanted negatives?

Post by Neil Barnes » Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:35 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Are you happy with failed developer-test shots? I.e. a complete lack of any artistic effort, and not necessarily a wonderful image?

Paul Mitchell

Post by Paul Mitchell » Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:40 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi John, if it helps I can send you some examples (one's that didn't turn out as expected!) of 5x4, 120 (6x6 & 6x7) and an XPan panoramic (24x65).

Send me a PM

Paul
When people ask what equipment I use - I tell them my eyes.

http://www.paulmitchellphotography.co.uk
http://www.arenaphotographers.com

John Hamlen

Post by John Hamlen » Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:40 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

1000 thanks Neil. 1000 thanks Paul.
Hi Neil - The artistic content is definitely of of no matter, I just want the audience to get a first-hand feel of the huge size differences between the formats.
Hi Paul - Could I take you up on your kind offer of the selection of formats - this will be really interesting for the audience. I will PM you with my details, and if you could PM me yours so I can send a thank you in return.
Many thanks to you both!
Best wishes
John

Joanna Carter
Founder
Workshop Images: http://grandes-images.com/fr/Paysages/P ... _2009.html

Post by Joanna Carter » Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:31 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

John, I have two shots on my web site, which show, albeit low resolution, a full frame 5x4 shot:

… and a crop from the same negative, which must be around 35mm frame size or smaller:

… at the same resolution.

If it's of any use, please feel free to download and use them.
Reassure yourself - stroke an Ebony

John Hamlen

Post by John Hamlen » Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:14 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Thanks Joanna. A great example of LF's resolution overload! I will definitely work this into the presentation.
Thanks again,
John

Neil Barnes
Forum Hero

Post by Neil Barnes » Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:04 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Send me your address, John, and there will be negatives. Disposable, so do with them as you will! Most will have images, but developing flaws.

Another information overload shot - not as crisp as Joanna's, down to the scanner I think - here: http://www.nailed-barnacle.co.uk/bigimages/0015.jpeg (beware, it requires at least 100MB memory to display!)

Check the name of the train on the cabin, or the casting name on the stuff in front of the cabin.

Neil

John Hamlen

Post by John Hamlen » Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:37 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Thanks Neil. Will do.
Great information overload shot. I'm going to try and roll both yours and Joanna's images in as a sort of quiz for the audience. For example, who can spot where in the image the crop is from! In both cases I had to readjust the size in the main image that my brain was looking for, and I'm sure the same other others. Could be fun!
Cheers
John

John Hamlen

Post by John Hamlen » Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:56 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

The presentation went down really well with at least one attendee saying it was the most interesting evening they'd had since they joined!

Many thanks to Neil, Paul and Bill for the negatives, and to Bill and Joanna for the example scans above.

The former were laid out on a table with 35mm, 6x6, 6x7, 4x5in and 8x10in along with my Canon EOS 650 and Lubitel cameras for everyone to get "hands-on" during the break while they were busy queuing for a go under the dark cloth of the Gandolfi :)

The latter were included as slides in the "Insane Resolution" section of the PowerPoint and actually got some gasps from the audience :)

Thanks again guys. Couldn't have done it without you!

Have a great weekend,
John