LF lust!

A place to talk about photography, the meaning of life and anything that doesn't quite fit elsewhere
Peter B
Forum Hero

LF lust!

Post by Peter B » Sun Sep 25, 2011 1:48 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I'm fortunate enough to be ignorant of the life giving/affirming properties of this particular Cooke lens, but I believe some folk lust after it and may want to know where they can find one secondhand. :wink:

http://www.robertwhite.co.uk/product.as ... &PT_ID=499

Darwinean_John

Re: LF lust!

Post by Darwinean_John » Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:12 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Coincidentally, I paid Robert White a visit last Friday for the first time and took the opportunity to inspect this lens combo.
It looks in great as-new condition. And a lovely piece of precision engineering.
At £2,400 + VAT, I was told that is circa the 'new' price of the main set in a shutter.
You get the 2nd set 'free'.
Still learning to see

Thingy
Forum Hero

Post by Thingy » Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:01 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Darwinean_John wrote:Coincidentally, I paid Robert White a visit last Friday for the first time and took the opportunity to inspect this lens combo.
It looks in great as-new condition. And a lovely piece of precision engineering.
At £2,400 + VAT, I was told that is circa the 'new' price of the main set in a shutter.
You get the 2nd set 'free'.
Are you going to buy it? :)

Steve
Love is an Ebony mounted with a Cooke PS945.......

Darwinean_John

Post by Darwinean_John » Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:36 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I nearly did - bit my tongue just in time.
So tempting whilst it's in your hands.
But apart from one of the focal length combos, my current set of sharp lenses covers the same.
I'm currently more interested in soft focus lenses but have taken the strategic decision to resist 'format creep' to 10x8.
So I bought their last PS945.
Still learning to see

Thingy
Forum Hero

Post by Thingy » Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:16 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Darwinean_John wrote:I nearly did - bit my tongue just in time.
So tempting whilst it's in your hands.
But apart from one of the focal length combos, my current set of sharp lenses covers the same.
I'm currently more interested in soft focus lenses but have taken the strategic decision to resist 'format creep' to 10x8.
So I bought their last PS945.
John

They're like gold dust. :wink: I'm glad you've bought one. How did your pics come out?

Steve
Love is an Ebony mounted with a Cooke PS945.......

Andrew Plume
Forum Hero

Post by Andrew Plume » Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:55 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Peter B wrote:I'm fortunate enough to be ignorant of the life giving/affirming properties of this particular Cooke lens, but I believe some folk lust after it and may want to know where they can find one secondhand. :wink:

http://www.robertwhite.co.uk/product.as ... &PT_ID=499

Well they certainly are like the proverbial 'gold dust' on the used market, that's because Cooke made very few of them and those that have 'em probably regard them as investments too......

If anyone is interested in a convertible/casket lens set up for 10x8 or larger, then there are also some but not plenty available on the used market at, what is a fraction of the price of said Cooke, for instance:-

a) Seth Broder over at Camera Eccentric has had this rather decent Darlot set for sale for some time - http://www.cameraeccentric.com/html/sale/darlot_3.html, a potential snip at 1,250 bucks plus shipping and also the dreaded UK import takes, too;

b) the reputable Peter Loy has a decent Busch Vademec set of seven lenses at what I believe is a decent price of £399 - his stock list is here - http://www.peterloy.com/stock-list.php; and

c) I have a Zeiss Protar set with six lenses based around a Compound shutter (which i never use) and which I could potentially be convinced to part with

so there's choice out there if one can or could get over any issues of insisting on coated glass

regards

andrew :)