Walker Titan

A place to talk about photography, the meaning of life and anything that doesn't quite fit elsewhere
Bruce Pickering

Walker Titan

Post by Bruce Pickering » Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:26 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I need (want) a new LF camera to take abroad, and I am wondering about a Walker Titan XL (5x4) or a Toyo 45 A II.

Does anyone have any comparison of the two, and even better, a Walker Titan that I could view in Yorkshire?

many thanks
Bruce

Andrew Plume
Forum Hero

Re: Walker Titan

Post by Andrew Plume » Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:42 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Bruce

Mike Walker's business isn't that far away from you.....................

Check out the equipment reviews over on The Large Format Photography page, that's distinct from the Forum with the fairly similar name

You could also have a chat with Robert White - they do not sell Mike's cameras but are very au fait with Toyo's - they will give you an honest answer - Teamwork Photo stock Walker cameras - they will also give you a similarly suitable answer - from my personal dealings with both of these (fine) retailers during the past ten years, neither of them will try to sell you something that you do not need

to me the stark difference between the two is that the Walker camera has a fixed back.............which is great for some but not for me.............it all depends on what sort of work you are interested in and correspondingly what movements you will need to cater for it etc etc

for myself, a fixed back camera has never had any appeal - I'm big in abstracts and I need as many movements as I can etc etc

good luck - hope this helps

andrew

:lol:

dennis
Forum Hero

Re: Walker Titan

Post by dennis » Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:32 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Bruce, I've owned/used a Toyo 45A11 for ten years or so, bought new from RW. It is chunky, but excellent in my view; I especially like it because it has all the movements I can use, plus the back can be used for rough focussing when doing close-up shots. Dennis.