Another newby question

A place to talk about photography, the meaning of life and anything that doesn't quite fit elsewhere
Ian Johnson

Another newby question

Post by Ian Johnson » Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:23 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi

I took delivery of a 4x5 camera a couple of weeks ago and now have 20 sheets of film that I need to send for processing (E6). I've tried to search the forum for some help but can't find what I'm after. I have a box containing two plastic sleeves which each have ten exposed sheet. My questions are: What is the convention/best practice for sending film to a processor. Also do all/most processors give discounts for 5 or more/10 or more and if so which do? Is there any consensus regarding best labs?

Thanks in advance

Ian

Joanna Carter
Founder
Workshop Images: http://grandes-images.com/fr/Paysages/P ... _2009.html

Re: Another newby question

Post by Joanna Carter » Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:36 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

MPS in Liverpool are good on quality and reasonable on price; they do discount for volume. They will turn work around in less than a day so, if you can pop over with the film in the morning, I could come from Southport and meet you for lunch whilst you are waiting?
Reassure yourself - stroke an Ebony

Thingy
Forum Hero

Post by Thingy » Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:41 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Joanna Carter wrote:MPS in Liverpool are good on quality and reasonable on price; they do discount for volume. They will turn work around in less than a day so, if you can pop over with the film in the morning, I could come from Southport and meet you for lunch whilst you are waiting?
You can also post film to them, as I do. Good firm and competitively priced. 8)
Love is an Ebony mounted with a Cooke PS945.......

Ian Johnson

Post by Ian Johnson » Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:15 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi Thingy

It may seem strange/silly to seasoned LFers, but this was one of the reasons for the post. I wanted to know how people post their film, the mechanics of it. Do you send the box (I don't have spare boxes yet)? How much protection (several envelopes, padded) if any?

Maybe I should have been more specific in the original post, but had hoped that I wouldn't have to ask the dumb question.

Ian

Joanna Carter
Founder
Workshop Images: http://grandes-images.com/fr/Paysages/P ... _2009.html

Post by Joanna Carter » Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:55 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

If you want to send film by post, put it into a three section film box, such as the one you bought the film in, and request that the lab returns the box with the developed film. Then you will have a spare box for next time, in case you want less than a full box developed.
Reassure yourself - stroke an Ebony

Thingy
Forum Hero

Post by Thingy » Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:40 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi Ian

I normally send mine (Quickload) in used Amazon book boxes which are stiff and sturdy. I use padded envelopes for 120 & 220 roll film (useful if you use a 6x12 back with your LF camera).

Steve
Ian Johnson wrote:Hi Thingy

It may seem strange/silly to seasoned LFers, but this was one of the reasons for the post. I wanted to know how people post their film, the mechanics of it. Do you send the box (I don't have spare boxes yet)? How much protection (several envelopes, padded) if any?

Maybe I should have been more specific in the original post, but had hoped that I wouldn't have to ask the dumb question.

Ian
Love is an Ebony mounted with a Cooke PS945.......

dave_whatever
Forum Hero

Post by dave_whatever » Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:02 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Before I jumped on the home E6 bandwaggon i used Peak and would send the film in a clearly labbeled film box shoved in a small jiffybag.