Scanner Question

A place to talk about photography, the meaning of life and anything that doesn't quite fit elsewhere
Nick Coombs

Scanner Question

Post by Nick Coombs » Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:16 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi...

Can I please ask for some advice on scanning...

I have access to a Epson V700 and would like to ask advice on how best to scan my 5 X 4 sheets of reversal film, I have done a few test scans using the Epson scanner software and have also tried Vuescan but I find the images to be very soft with a loss of detail.

I would be very grateful to hear what other's use and how you use it..

joolsb
Forum Hero

Re: Scanner Question

Post by joolsb » Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:23 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Some people swear by the BetterScanning holder for the Epson. I got one and ended up swearing at it. Yes, it does hold the film a lot flatter than the Epson holder but this comes at the cost of a fiddly and tedious set-up procedure and an equally fiddly mounting routine. And after all that I noticed no discernible improvement in sharpness. The other advantage of the BetterScanning holder is that it allows for wet mounting.

What you can do is use the included shims to raise the holder to around 3.5mm above the scanner glass and then scan 5x4 at 2400dpi - the scanner's true optical resolution (or near enough). Finally, invest in Photokit Sharpener, a Photoshop plug-in which performs excellent capture sharpening and use it on every scan. This is my recipe for beautifully sharp scans but others will be along with their own personal tips. Scanning is as much art as science and there is no absolute 'right' way.

One final tip. Make sure the scanner glass is really clean (use an alcohol-based cleaner not a detergent-based one) as the diffraction caused by hazing really kills sharpness.

Joanna Carter
Founder
Workshop Images: http://grandes-images.com/fr/Paysages/P ... _2009.html

Post by Joanna Carter » Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:49 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I did invest in the Better Scanning holder and, after setting it up, on my scanner, it did make quite a difference to the focus on the scan. However, since every V700 scanner seems to be different, it is possible that the Epson holders can put the film at the correct height, but that is by no means guaranteed and you can still get film movement whilst scanning.

Depending on how large you anticipate printing, scanning at 2400ppi will give you a 50" x 40" print if you set the resolution of the image to 240ppi. But, for prints up to 25" x 20", you can reduce the scanning resolution to 1200ppi and still get stonking sharp prints.

One caveat is not to zoom in too far on the scanned image. It is only too easy to forget that, beyond a certain level of zoom, you will always end up with lost detail that wasn't even on the film :lol:
Reassure yourself - stroke an Ebony

Ed Moss

Post by Ed Moss » Fri Oct 14, 2011 5:01 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Betterscanning film holder/Vuescan RAW file/colorneg for colour correction...easy :D
Oh and don't scan above 2400dpi.

ajmiller

Post by ajmiller » Fri Oct 14, 2011 5:19 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I use the Epson V700 generic 5x4 film holders and the Epson software - don't remember having any difficulties with either slide or negative but I was only scanning for 8x10 prints.
May be worth trying your film on another scanner if possible.

Tony

Nick Coombs wrote:Hi...

Can I please ask for some advice on scanning...

I have access to a Epson V700 and would like to ask advice on how best to scan my 5 X 4 sheets of reversal film, I have done a few test scans using the Epson scanner software and have also tried Vuescan but I find the images to be very soft with a loss of detail.

I would be very grateful to hear what other's use and how you use it..

dave_whatever
Forum Hero

Post by dave_whatever » Fri Oct 14, 2011 5:28 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

There's two basic things you can do to make your scans sharper. One is make sure the film is roughly at the plane of sharpest focus of your particular scanner. The second is making sure the film is held flat.

Betterscanning holder will do this, but its not the only way to skin this particular cat. You can also tape (or wetmount) film to a sheet of anti-newton glass and shim to glass to the correct height for decent focus, for the cost of a few quid. This is afterall all the betterscanning mount does.

Of course some people find their stock epson holder gives them decent focus and flat film, if so then great.