Landscape Photographer of the Year 2011

A place to talk about photography, the meaning of life and anything that doesn't quite fit elsewhere
DJ
Site Admin

Landscape Photographer of the Year 2011

Post by DJ » Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:26 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Just received my copy of the book. As one might expect, mostly digital, but I always check to see if there's any large format entries...

A total of three LF entries made it into the book, and two other film entries from smaller format.

Congratulations to members Paul Arthur and Tim Parkin for their entries accepted into the book and for keeping the LF flame burning. :D

I encourage anyone who hasn't been to the exhibition in London to go if they have the opportunity. In my humble opinion it's a very different experience from the book, I find the images I like in the book are different from the ones I like when printed up and displayed. Just goes to show that there's still something to be said for a nice big print :D

Nigels
Forum Hero

Re: Landscape Photographer of the Year 2011

Post by Nigels » Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:59 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Regs, Nigels.
[User of Ebony 45SU + 58, 80, 150 & 270 mm Lenses, and all the essential bits]
"He wears the sweeping landscape in the crystal of his eye."

Andrew Plume
Forum Hero

Post by Andrew Plume » Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:36 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

.........mmm

sad news but unfortunately inevitable, vis a vis analog v digital

anyhow I've just spent a few hours revisiting the excellent videos of Sally Mann's work and that of others

andrew

Paul Arthur
Forum Hero

Post by Paul Arthur » Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:37 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Thanks for the name check DJ, an interesting point though - the LF images by me and Tim were both cropped from the original 5x4 to something closer to 35mm, spoiling the look of them.

Mine is probably cropped less badly than Tims, but here's the damage if anyone wants to see...

http://static.timparkin.co.uk/static/tm ... arthur.jpg

http://static.timparkin.co.uk/static/tm ... parkin.jpg

So mine loses some important parts of the image in my mind and Tim's now makes no sense and is the wrong colour....

What do people think? I don't think that they should be able to do it....

Trevor Crone

Post by Trevor Crone » Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:47 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Firstly my congratulations to both Paul and Tim. I believe if the original work of the photographers is what has been accepted then they should not be cropped or otherwise altered. One is undermining the integrity of the artist. If for whatever reason an alteration is required then the photographer should be consulted before any further decision is undertaken.

dave_whatever
Forum Hero

Post by dave_whatever » Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:48 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

They shouldn't be cropping your shots for publication without your consent - especially not given the context of the publication. It would be a different matter if you'd emailed a cameraphone shot of a robbery to your local rag, but this is supposed to be an art publication for christ sake. I'd be pretty annoyed - especially given you have to pay to enter!

Its things like this, and the general very shakey definition of what passes for a landscape shot, that makes me increasingly uninterested in this competition, both from the point of view of audience member and potential entrant.

Good effort getting selected for the book though.

Andrew Plume
Forum Hero

Post by Andrew Plume » Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:00 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

yes, I entirely agree with the last two posts, poor form in my opinion.............and how will that encourage others for next year's edition???????

andrew

michaelfinch

Post by michaelfinch » Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:24 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

If someone at LPOTY is cropping pix for publication they either don't know what they're doing or, perhaps, don't care.

Paul Mitchell

Post by Paul Mitchell » Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:54 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

As a designer of books it's quite common for designers to crop images to fit a specific 'grid'. Ultimately they want to see the layout of the whole book to 'look nice' even if it means fiddling with the integrity of individual images. IMHO this is crying shane as this is a book about the work of individuals and not just some new run of the mill cookbook bashed out for the Christmas market.

This in no way detracts from the achievement of Tim and Paul having their work recognised, well done!

Paul
When people ask what equipment I use - I tell them my eyes.

http://www.paulmitchellphotography.co.uk
http://www.arenaphotographers.com

DJ
Site Admin

Post by DJ » Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:05 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Paul Arthur wrote:an interesting point though - the LF images by me and Tim were both cropped from the original 5x4 to something closer to 35mm, spoiling the look of them.

Mine is probably cropped less badly than Tims, but here's the damage if anyone wants to see...

So mine loses some important parts of the image in my mind and Tim's now makes no sense and is the wrong colour....

What do people think? I don't think that they should be able to do it....
I'm very surprised by this, it's not something I would have expected to have happened. I think if it were me I might be inclined to be a little put out by it. :(

Paul Dunning

Post by Paul Dunning » Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:28 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I'd be very disappointed if they cropped an image like this, I wonder what they would have done if it was a panoramic?

And of course congratulations Tim and Paul, cropping or not it's still something to be proud of.

Paul (yes, another one :lol: ).

Valerio Trigari
Forum Hero

Post by Valerio Trigari » Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:34 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Congratulation to both Paul and Tim! :D It's nice to see LF pictures among so many digital images.

I have to admit that if a picture of mine would be selected for the book and then got cropped, I would get rather crossed... ;)
http://www.valeriotrigariphotography.com/

Proud owner of a Linhof Technikardan 45.

Julian Moskov

Post by Julian Moskov » Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:50 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Andrew, I had never heard of Sally Mann but I quite liked the documentary What Remains. Definitely an interesting photographer, though I am not a big fan of the images of corpses a la Witkin. Anyway, many thanks for sharing - and who are the "others" you mention?

Andrew Plume
Forum Hero

Post by Andrew Plume » Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:22 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi Julian

Thanks indeed for your post, it's always good to see that there's 'available new content for others' that has been 'picked up on'. I'd been looking at videos of other wet plate artists/teachers earlier this week, too, including our own John Brewer

and as for Sally M, it's just her laconic way of doing stuff that appeals, her property, no small one that is, to most could be said to be fairly uninteresting (when seen in a photographic light) but with her style and approach, she creates images that are strong, which I feel is what you can do with the wet plate process and would have difficulty in achieving with film

and as to the 'cadavar project', well it's surely way way different

regards

andrew