Services Forum

A place to talk about photography, the meaning of life and anything that doesn't quite fit elsewhere
IanG
Forum Hero

Services Forum

Post by IanG » Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:54 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

A very hasty Creation of a Services Forum needs some re-thinking. JC's first announcing she was moving the Post I made about shutter curtains to the classified, turned out to be the new Services section.

In reality we need a section for those of us using /restoring / abusing for wet plate - old cameras, lenses etc. A member here ended up going to the US for something at least two of us would have done for him much cheaper particularly when you take into account International postage costs.

It needs some thought on the name before this section is created.

Ian

Charles Twist
Founder

Re: Services Forum

Post by Charles Twist » Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:28 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

This questions implicates everyone, so all feel free to join in.
Yes we're struggling a bit with that to find a suitable name and place.
What Ian is talking about in a way (correct me if I am wrong), is a board to include Wet Plate stuff and all manner of other wet processes, the old cameras and lenses (but what's the age limit?), the DIY cameras, the restoration side. I am not sure whether to have one section for all of that because it's such a mix. Do we include traditional darkroom printing? Do we include developing film (colour & b&w)? What would you call such a section?

We're open to other ideas too. I and Marc think that we ought to separate out hardware from analogue processing from computer processing. The hardware section would then split in to:
  • lenses, filters and shutters
  • cameras
  • scanners
  • Repairs and restoration
  • Something else?
But would you be happy to have old and new side by side in each section? That wouldn't bother me.

Then you go on to Analogue processing, to include:
  • Wet plate
  • Dark room printing
  • Film (specifications, processing, etc)
  • Something else?
I am not knowledgeable here so your input is necessary. We don't have to subdivide but I guess it helps.

Then you go on to Computer processing, for all talk about colour profiling, resolution, software, digital backs etc.

And all of these would then go in to General Discussion. Plus I would probably create one section called LF for beginners and another section for non-photo stuff, administration and the such like.
What's already in General Discussion will be left where it is for now. As and when moderators have the time we can begin the transfer of threads.

How do people feel about this? There is no change to the other groups (Classifieds, New Members etc) in the above plan, but we can broach that later. One thing at a time. It's the same forum, just organised differently and hopefully a bit clearer. DJ or Marc: are the sub-groups visible from the front page ("Discussion") if we do this?

Regards,
Charles

Nigels
Forum Hero

Post by Nigels » Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:39 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Thats all very well, but why not just copy the structure of the US Forum. I suspect the traffic on this new structure would be very low as most people (well, me anyway) go to the other forum for tech/hardware stuff.

To be honest I'm not bothered what you add here but I would like to express a preference for keeping the prominant focus of this forum on the social aspect for UK LF photographers (though no one is excluded from joining in) - Workshops, Locations, meet ups, critiques, projects, etc.
Regs, Nigels.
[User of Ebony 45SU + 58, 80, 150 & 270 mm Lenses, and all the essential bits]
"He wears the sweeping landscape in the crystal of his eye."

IanG
Forum Hero

Post by IanG » Fri Nov 04, 2011 1:21 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

We aren't the International US based Large Format Photohraphy Forum though, and being UK based have our ouwn issues. There's also now the much higher costs implications of buying from the US in terms od high shipping and postal costs compouned by duty and VAT on top with transactions with non EU countries. (I've been very lucky so far).

The reality is it's about buiding up our own networks here in the UK, whilst still intertading with the US etc, but much of that is better done through a UK website/forum.
Charles Twist wrote:This questions implicates everyone, so all feel free to join in.
Yes we're struggling a bit with that to find a suitable name and place.

Regards,
Charles
I guess we are talking about resources, also restoration and repairs, and aaht needs a category at some stage. We have posted our experiences in the General Discussion section in the past but it's not really the best place.

Those of us restoring cameras etc need access to skills other than our own at times, you need a new screen - well there's two of us here who'd make one, your camera's (or TP shutter's) lost it's makers badge someone else can make one, same with missing brass parts. even major bits like no front standard or a back :D

It's not an easy decision as to what that section needs to be called, and it does need thought.

When you've restored an old camera you may want to go & learn to make wet-plates and there's a few here who can help with that. In my case it's Pt/PD and other alt processes.

When I post elsewhere about the site needing to change it's about opening up and there being a far greater sharing of skills and experiences.

Ian

Fourtoes
Forum Hero

Post by Fourtoes » Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:18 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I'm all for alliteration....Resources, restoration and repair section?

Everything you need under one roof.

dave_whatever
Forum Hero

Post by dave_whatever » Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:41 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Whatever happens with this services forun please lets not dilute tge rest of the forum by subdividing other categories too far.

Charles Twist
Founder

Post by Charles Twist » Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:03 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

dave_whatever wrote:Whatever happens with this services forun please lets not dilute tge rest of the forum by subdividing other categories too far.
There is that risk. There is little worse than a board with blatantly no traffic. So the answer might be just 3 sub-groups for hardware, analogue processing and computer processing, plus one sub-group called LF for beginners and another sub-group for non-photo stuff. The "Resources, restoration and repair" section would then be integral to the first group, but not clearly separated out.

Tony (and John, if you're listening in) - do you feel any need for a Resources, restoration and repair section? I know you're often battling with old gear, but I don't know if you agree with Ian that a separate section would actually get any use. I know your feelings Ian, but we can't go on yours alone. Anybody else want to chip in?

I am wondering: would it be smart to have the 5 sub-groups as above and then in the non-forum part of the site, a page which is a database with the resources + a contact list?

Best regards,
Charles

zoikes

Post by zoikes » Fri Nov 04, 2011 2:32 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I think Charles' suggested subcategories are sensible. General discussion would then
become more - well - general.

This forum is not going to replicate the minutiae of the major forums, but there is still plenty to be discussed and knowledge to be shared. A 4th subcategory of vintage kit / kit repair may be sensible to stop it being lost in modern kit discussion.

By resources - do you mean articles etc? IanG brought this up when I had the pleasure of meeting him last weekend. I think it would be a great idea.

Thanks to all who are striving to turn the 'discussion' (I can think of other words) of the last two weeks into positive development of the forum. The main objective should be to improve members engagement with the forum and hopefully the workshops / meets / critique that Nigels highlighted before. To my mind, this is where lf-photo can provide something unique.

Ian

I note it is now raining. I was supposed to spend the weekend taking pictures. :cry:

Trevor Crone

Post by Trevor Crone » Fri Nov 04, 2011 2:41 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

IMO I think it would be a valuable resource to have such sections as, 'repair and restoration'. For example, being able to locate a cheap but reliable LF shutter repair service would, I'm sure, be a useful service of this UK LF forum.

One may even want to consider a section on classic and little known LF lenses. Input from not just 'theorist', but hands on users.

I'm a great believer in an easily accessible knowledge base.

John Brewer

Post by John Brewer » Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:29 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Charles Twist wrote:
Tony (and John, if you're listening in) - do you feel any need for a Resources, restoration and repair section? I know you're often battling with old gear, but I don't know if you agree with Ian that a separate section would actually get any use. I know your feelings Ian, but we can't go on yours alone. Anybody else want to chip in?

I am wondering: would it be smart to have the 5 sub-groups as above and then in the non-forum part of the site, a page which is a database with the resources + a contact list?

Best regards,
Charles
Always listening in Charles :)

I think one section covering "old" stuff, restoration/repairs/resources etc. I'm happy to help particularly with pre-shuttered lenses, making ground glass screens, advice and tuition with early photographic processes. I do think all these sort of things should be in one section as too many sub sections risk a grave yard situation. Perhaps the services posts could be sticky? JMHO.

J

Charles Twist
Founder

Post by Charles Twist » Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:23 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Thanks John. But how old is old? My less-than-10-years-old tripod had a broken part. The local foundry cast me a new one. I can imagine that service falling in to this category even though it's not that old a part.
How about an adapter for a 100+ year old lens in to a recent shutter?
How about a Compur 2 shutter?
Not saying you're wrong, just testing you.
I like the Sticky idea though and could see that as an option.
Regards,
Charles

John Brewer

Post by John Brewer » Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:25 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Old isn't new Charles! When I said 'old stuff' that was a little tongue in cheek :) The mods can move posts if they are in the wrong section, I don't thing the definition is that important really if it's difficult to define. Woolly is ok for me. If it's a part that can't be bought off the shelf or something that needs to be custom built or even a service that's cheaper than other commercial services etc that'll do me.

Soooo, you have a friendly foundry? Are they, er, cheap? Wouldn't mind talking to them :D

IanG
Forum Hero

Post by IanG » Sat Nov 05, 2011 4:41 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

It's not so much about old & new because many issues are similar. After all making a new lens board, bellows, focus screen is justas applicable to a modern camera as something 100 years old.

Both my quarter plate and half plate Houghton's also take modern lenses and a roll film back fits the 1/4 plate and modern 5x4 DDS in the 1/2 plate with adaptors. Other's use their wet plates camera's lenses with a shutter on modern cameras to also use them with modern films. So there's a lot of cross over as well.

Ian