Thread subscriptions

A place to talk about photography, the meaning of life and anything that doesn't quite fit elsewhere
Neil Barnes
Forum Hero

Thread subscriptions

Post by Neil Barnes » Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:23 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Has something changed in the last three weeks or so?

Suddenly I'm getting email notifications for every thread I've posted in, and I can't see how to turn it off. The control panel has nothing ticked, but still the emails come...

Neil

dave_whatever
Forum Hero

Re: Thread subscriptions

Post by dave_whatever » Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:27 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Yeah I had this. I found a setting in control panel that I hope has stopped it.

ucp.php?i=prefs&mode=post

Neil Barnes
Forum Hero

Post by Neil Barnes » Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:08 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Ah, missed that one, thanks.

Neil

Joanna Carter
Founder
Workshop Images: http://grandes-images.com/fr/Paysages/P ... _2009.html

Post by Joanna Carter » Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:16 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Rather than turn off the global setting for notifications like that, you can simply turn off subscriptions to individual threads by going to the bottom of the thread and clicking on the "Unsubscribe topic" link. That way, you won't miss notifications to your messages that you might want to know about.
Reassure yourself - stroke an Ebony

Neil Barnes
Forum Hero

Post by Neil Barnes » Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:22 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Turns out that unticking that global notify didn't stop it anyway. It seems the local untick is required.

But I am seeking a no-notifications: I don't want my email cluttering up with them.

Neil

Joanna Carter
Founder
Workshop Images: http://grandes-images.com/fr/Paysages/P ... _2009.html

Post by Joanna Carter » Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:44 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Changing the global preference will only stop notifications for threads to which you are not already subscribed. So, you will have to unsubscribe manually from those threads to which you are already subscribed. But, once you have unsubscribed from those threads to which you have replied, you should no longer get notifications when you do reply to new threads.

I would repeat my suggestion that it can be useful to have notifications set on by default, then, if you write something to which you would like a reply, you won't miss out on interesting stuff that might be posted after some time instead of immediately.
Reassure yourself - stroke an Ebony

Neil Barnes
Forum Hero

Post by Neil Barnes » Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:29 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Thanks Joanna.

I can see why you might want to flag some topics for notification, but my preference is the 'don't tell unless I ask you'.

Neil

David Rees
Forum Hero

Post by David Rees » Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:35 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I concur with Neil--I would much rather not get emails telling me new posts have appeared. It's a pain to unsubscribe each time.

Dave Tolcher

Post by Dave Tolcher » Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:20 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Interestingly I had the same problem as Ian yesterday in that some messages from the forum for what appears to be no reason were flagged as spam whereas some werent.

I think what Joanna is saying is that once you have turned it off any new threads you contribute to will comply with the setting but any threads in existence will obey the global rule in place at that time. Same would be true in reverse I guess. Suggests that it is not proper inheritance in the OO sense but a copy at the time you establish the thread. :shock:

IanG
Forum Hero

Post by IanG » Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:34 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Dave Tolcher wrote:Interestingly I had the same problem as Ian yesterday in that some messages from the forum for what appears to be no reason were flagged as spam whereas some werent.

I think what Joanna is saying is that once you have turned it off any new threads you contribute to will comply with the setting but any threads in existence will obey the global rule in place at that time. Same would be true in reverse I guess. Suggests that it is not proper inheritance in the OO sense but a copy at the time you establish the thread. :shock:
Ironically David one way of getting rid of these unwanted emails is to mark them as spam in your email software whether web based or POP3. My anti-spam software marked them as spam automatically.

Something's been changed so that we now have to opt out of recieving these emails rather than the more normal option of opting to subscribe to particular threads.

I started another thread on this topic but it's been locked, there's been a few posts/threads deleted recently mainly from others but dissent is banned here :D Must be Jesuit moderators around.

Is it really so heretic to ask that the Red highlighting of posts by people who happen to also be Moderatyors or Admins stops. Sorry Charles but while I might be one of the handful to state this (despite your comments elsewhere) I know that it's not a minoriry view. And it's worse than when first brought up over because now over 50% of threads have unhealthyy Red links now in some sub forums.

Ian

DJ
Site Admin

Post by DJ » Sat Nov 12, 2011 1:31 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

IanG wrote:I started another thread on this topic but it's been locked, there's been a few posts/threads deleted recently mainly from others but dissent is banned here :D Must be Jesuit moderators around.
Well that's not at all offensive. Oh wait...

Interestingly Ian, "dissent" means "to differ in sentiment or opinion, especially from the majority".
IanG wrote:Is it really so heretic to ask that the Red highlighting of posts by people who happen to also be Moderatyors or Admins stops.
To ask? no, not at all. To demand aggressively and repeatedly ad nauseum? Not heretical either, just bad mannered and immature.
IanG wrote:Sorry Charles but while I might be one of the handful to state this (despite your comments elsewhere) I know that it's not a minoriry view.
You know nothing of the sort. What you know is your opinion.

You might also know that some others agree with you. The thread about board change very clearly indicates that the majority do not. Get over it. Move on.

Getting this thread back on track, RE: the subscription thing, this should not be the case, subscriptions should be "opt-in" by default, not "opt-out". I'll look into it.

IanG
Forum Hero

Post by IanG » Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:41 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

DJ wrote:
Getting this thread back on track, RE: the subscription thing, this should not be the case, subscriptions should be "opt-in" by default, not "opt-out". I'll look into it.
Thank you.

I notice you're playing with the red highlighing of posts as well, it's an issue that's been neglected it's trivial but just needs clearing up. All notifications of Posts and PM's currently go to my Spam and so get deleteted, I ignore PM's unless they are relevant.

On a more positive note has the site moved hosts, is there greater bandwith and disk space to allow uploading images direct, and hosting of articles etc. Finally is the very outdated Front end being revamped.

Ian

Charles Twist
Founder

Post by Charles Twist » Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:02 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hello Ian,
You're in the process of hijacking this thread - not something you want to be doing. So I am going to answer in the thread you started.
Thanks for the civilised tone of voice.
Best regards,
Charles

IanG
Forum Hero

Post by IanG » Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:27 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Charles Twist wrote:Hello Ian,
You're in the process of hijacking this thread - not something you want to be doing. So I am going to answer in the thread you started.
Thanks for the civilised tone of voice.
Best regards,
Charles

Hardly hijacking this thread merely noting that at last an Admin that matters is listening. That's whats important.

To many admins, far to many Moderators with admin priveleges and the boards a mess of red high-lighted posts.

Ian

IanG
Forum Hero

Post by IanG » Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:31 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I had two notificatrions of replies who'deleted the other ?

Seemsn to be happeneing rather frequently, which is one of or grievences.

Ian