Darkroom facilities

A place to talk about photography, the meaning of life and anything that doesn't quite fit elsewhere
Dave Shutter

Darkroom facilities

Post by Dave Shutter » Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:33 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi,
Having been a recent convert to l/f from digi I do not have the darkroom background some of the other members have. Does anybody know of courses/facilities that can be hired or clubs up in the NE. I live in Richmond North Yorks.
Any help would be most appreciated
Thanks,
David

Alan Clark

Re: Darkroom facilities

Post by Alan Clark » Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:47 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hello Dave,
I am not too far away from you. I live near Pickering. I believe there is a film photographers group that meets in pub in Northallerton. The man who would know is Mark Snowdon . He is a member of the Film and Darkroom Users forum ( FADU ), so you could contact him through that forum. He might know of any darkroom facilities in your area. I think there were darkroom facilities in an art centre in Darlington, and Mark would know about that. Sorry I can't be more helpful.

Alan Clark

Steven

Post by Steven » Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:21 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Dear Dave

I don't know of any darkroom facilities near you, but you might want to have a look at Dave Butcher's website. He uses MF rather than LF (a Mamiya 7 to be precise), and he runs darkroom printing workshops. I haven't been on his darkroom workshops, but I have been on a photography workshop with him, which was excellent. Among other qualifications, he was a chemist at Ilford before taking early retirement.

He's based in the Peak District, not far from Buxton, which is a bit of a trek for you but probably manageable.

Steven

Trevor Crone

Post by Trevor Crone » Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:39 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi Dave,

There is also Andrew Sanderson, he runs various workshops on darkroom printing. He is a great printer, an Ilford master printer and uses formats up to 8"x10"

However he too is based in West Yorkshire so me prove a bit of a trek for you.

http://www.andrewsanderson.com/

Peter B
Forum Hero

Post by Peter B » Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:25 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Google got me the link below for Vale of York if that's any use?

http://www.valeofyorkdarkrooms.co.uk/