Maxwell Screen

A place to talk about photography, the meaning of life and anything that doesn't quite fit elsewhere
Ian Johnson

Maxwell Screen

Post by Ian Johnson » Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:13 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hello All

I have the opportunity to get a Maxwell screen. However, it seems to be designed for an Ebony. Could anyone tell me if there is any reason why the Maxwell screen (ultra bright - for an Ebony) would not retrofit on a Chamonix 045-u2.

Cheers

Ian

Andrew Plume
Forum Hero

Re: Maxwell Screen

Post by Andrew Plume » Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:48 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi Ian

interesting point

have a search around over on The Large Format Photography Forum, there is a wealth of stuff on there regarding focusing screens etc etc. I am sure that the mods on here will not mind me directing you to that resource as they will accept that not every aspect can be or has as yet been discussed on here

You might also care to send a mail to Hugo Zhang who is a member on there - Hugo is either the main man or one of the main participants with Chamonix and will definitely be able to help. That's if you are a member on there that is - if you are not, let me know and I'll forward it to Hugo

regards

andrew

Ian Johnson

Post by Ian Johnson » Sat Nov 19, 2011 6:31 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

HI Andrew

Thanks for your advice. I am a member of the other forum and had a look through their posts yesterday without much success. I decided to leave a posting similar to this message later in the evening. I've had one reply from that forum which suggested that is unlikely that the screen would fit.

I have also emailed Hugo and hope to get a difinitive answer.

Thanks again

Ian

Andrew Plume
Forum Hero

Post by Andrew Plume » Sat Nov 19, 2011 6:35 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

ian

thx indeed

regards

andrew

gari
Forum Hero

Post by gari » Sat Nov 19, 2011 7:09 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi Ian, I have used an Ebony screen on a Shen Hao and am currently using a Beattie screen for a Sinar on an Arca and they fit fine.
I suggest that you measure the screen on your Cham (assuming you already have one) and ask the vendor to measure the screen for the Ebony, if they are the same or the Ebony is small enough to fit the back without being too small, then you should be fine. The focus distance will be the same I would think.
The only Caviat is that some Chams had a screen that seemed to have a been a combination of Focus screen/fresnel that (from what I can gather) had the Fresnel in front of the focus screen, meaning the focus point was not the surface of the screen facing the lens. I may have misunderstood this, especially as I can't imagine why someone would think it was a good idea!
Gari
you don't need eyes to see, you need vision!

jennym
Forum Hero

Post by jennym » Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:09 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Dav Thomas fitted a Maxwell screen to his Chamonix, and wrote a blog about how to do it. I think it did involve a bit of work, but this is the link.

http://www.peaklandscapes.com/blog.php?entry=10

Jenny

Thingy
Forum Hero

Post by Thingy » Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:56 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

For the record you can also use an Ebony screen with a Linhof (so much brighter!) monorail, so it should be OK.
Love is an Ebony mounted with a Cooke PS945.......

IanG
Forum Hero

Post by IanG » Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:00 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

You need to know whether the Chamonix back was designed to have a fresnel under the focus screen or not.

The company made a huge error selling cameras for a while with a fresnel and a screen that was out of register, they'd not allowed for the thickness of the fresnel itself.

So not all Chamonix backs are equal, I know one British photographer (in Turkey) who had big problems shooting portraits at wider apertures and plenty of others posted similar tales on the Internationla LF website.

Ian

Ian Johnson

Post by Ian Johnson » Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:17 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi All

Thought I should post an update in case anyone finds themselves in a similar situation in the future.

I have been in touch with Hugo Zhang who advised me that the Chamonix 45-n2 (latest version - Sept 2011) screen is comprised of ground glass, fresnel and protective cover (lens to viewer). After several emails with Bill Maxwell, I have tried the Maxwell screen (designed for Ebony), after removing all the Chamonix components (as advised by Bill) in my camera. The screen fits fine and is an improvement over the original. However, due to the differences in overall screen thickness between the original Chamonix (3 in total) and Maxwell (2 in total) the clampdown discs do not hold the glass cover securely. This is compounded by the fact that on the later (n2) versions of the camera these discs are modified like those shown in Dav Thomas' blog post (see pic 7 - http://www.peaklandscapes.com/blog.php?entry=10).

I would be grateful if anyone could tell me were I could get/buy some replacement clampdown discs, the same as those in Dav's blog post pre-modification (pic 1).

Alternatively could anyone recommend someone who repairs/services LF cameras (in the Northwest if possible) who could sort this out for me

Cheers

Ian