Developing Plates

A place to talk about photography, the meaning of life and anything that doesn't quite fit elsewhere
Susie Frith

Developing Plates

Post by Susie Frith » Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:34 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi all.

I have been asked to take a portrait of the vicar at church, to go up in the sacristy alongside those of previous incumbents, dating back to 1860's. As I don't particularly care for colour pictures of clergy (!) I thought I'd do something a bit more traditional. In the loft I have a few packets of glass plates, 1/4 plate size which are just right for a contact print to match the ones already there.

As I don't want to waste too many, does anyone have a tip as to test for development times? The plates probably date from the 1920's or 30's. The emulsion speed is given in Hurter and Driffield, and Ilford speed grouping, but presumably this will be somewhat out, given the age of the plates.

Just as an aside, in the church's graveyard rests the widow of John Scott Archer of wetplate fame, but I'll have to wait until next year before I learn how to do wetplate negs!

Susie

Alex Timmermans

Re: Developing Plates

Post by Alex Timmermans » Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:54 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Pitty,

Wetplate would be perfect for this,

Alex

John Brewer

Post by John Brewer » Sat Nov 26, 2011 8:33 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi Susie

Totally agree with Alex re wetplate. Actually the guy who invented wetplate is Frederick not John, Scott Archer. I did try to find Frances' (Fanny's) grave but couldn't find it in the graveyard I thought it was to be. I guess the children are their too? Which graveyard are you talking about?

With your dryplates I would bet a big sum they're no good. You could make your own dryplates, there is info on the interweb.

Best

Matt_Bigwood
Forum Hero

Post by Matt_Bigwood » Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:27 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi Susie,

I think John's right. I bought a 1930s Thornton Pickard which came with a number of two and a quarter by three and a quarter plates. When I developed them they were heavily veiled in dichroic base fog.

Matt

Susie Frith

Post by Susie Frith » Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:03 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi John,

I don't know where the "John" S A came from, must have been a 'senior' moment.

The grave is in the south graveyard of All Saint's Hockerill, the parish church on the east side of Bishop's Stortford. http://www.allsaintshockerill.org.uk (near Jn 8 of the M 11).

I was going to take a pic of it this morning after church for you, but forgot to take a camera!! Sometime I want to do the job properly. The face of the stone is very weathered and the inscrription difficult to make out, but with a couple of arc lamps giving a slanting light it might work.

Susie

John Brewer

Post by John Brewer » Sun Nov 27, 2011 12:37 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Ah, that's why I couldn't find her in St Michaels then!

I might pop down in the spring to have a look, maybe we could meet up?

Cheers