First LF camera Sinar f2 bought need accesories

A place to talk about photography, the meaning of life and anything that doesn't quite fit elsewhere
Muzamil Choudhury

First LF camera Sinar f2 bought need accesories

Post by Muzamil Choudhury » Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:43 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi I have just purchased a Sinar f2 from Marc Wilson....decent man. I am very excited about getting out there and taking some pictures , I have a 180mm schneider lens and the camera. I think I have an aluminium Manfrotto tripod at home but will check to see if its not too heavy.
I still need some film holders/slides , a meter , bw or color film ,shutter cable,polaroid back if available for this camera, and a bag of some sort which is easy to carry all the gear (Mark had a nice padded rucksack type which opened so like a suitcase which was good). I have had a play with the camera but just getting used to the movements, but they seem quite easy to use and very sturdy and precise which is what I wanted. Do I need the fresnel screen and binocular magnifiers that I have heard about? Would it make it easier for me if I had these? I do want to make my days out as easy as possible so want the right equipment.
I would love to get a wide angle lens too but I have been advised to get used to the camera first with the 180mm lens with some cheaper film and then move onto colour... Also at some point I will want to upgrade so I can use 8x10 too. So any advice on the equipment needed and the process that it involves would be great. I am completely new to Lf and even to photography to some extent so please dont go too technical on me! lol :shock: :)
I appreciate any of your thoughts or advice

Muzzy
Last edited by Muzamil Choudhury on Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:07 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00, edited 1 time in total.

Thingy
Forum Hero

Re: First LF camera Sinar f2 bought need accesories

Post by Thingy » Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:06 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi Muzzy

The binocular magnifiers are not necessary. You will soon get used to viewing the image on the GG (fresnel screen) upside down. Just remember Australians live upside down and have to get used to viewing the Earth upside down... :wink: All you need is a 4x lupe for close focussing on the GG and ideally a dark cloth when viewing the GG in brighter light.

With regard to light meters, you really need to take the plunge there. You can buy a basic light meter for under £30*, as below.
http://www.ffordes.com/product/11111809013581 or for something more advanced: http://www.ffordes.com/product/10072316352319

I used a *Weston V lightmeter over 30 years ago.

If you have an iPhone, there is an excellent basic spot meter application called Light Meter, which actually works!
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/pocket-l ... 98089?mt=8

Tha link below may be of interest, too.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2209&p=13224&hilit= ... on+#p13224

You can buy dark slides secondhand on ebay, eg:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fidelity-Elit ... 2eb9ef68fb
or buy them new: http://www.ag-photographic.co.uk/fideli ... 2577-p.asp

Steve
Love is an Ebony mounted with a Cooke PS945.......

Muzamil Choudhury

Post by Muzamil Choudhury » Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:23 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi i am a bit confused . is the gg a fresnel screen? and is the standard viewing glass i have with it a fresnel? or is that an additional accesory

Clive Gray

Post by Clive Gray » Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:41 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Well I'm going to disagree with some of Thingy's advice and point out that he is confused about the Binocular Magnifier.

Sinar make two viewing aids a Binocular Magnifier and a Binocular reflex Viewer. The Binocular Magnifier will make your life much easier and you will not need to buy a dark cloth or a lupe if you do get one

Binocular Magnify and Hood

Silly size in link form

http://www.flickr.com/photos/abbandon/6 ... otostream/

On a P

Silly size in a link

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7010/6501 ... 52a6_o.jpg

The Binocular magnifier is very light and compact and a space an wieght saving over most dark cloths and does not invert the image the Reflex one does that which is not really practical for field use

A fresnel would be usefull can't see any in the UK at the moment but there are plenty on German and US ebay

A fresnel is a seperate accessory that fits on top of the ground glass.

I know people will want to hang me for heresy but you can use a DSLR with a bit of thought for lightmetering other wise my recomendation for the Flash Meter IV still stands as if you want to do spot metering properly you will want to get a Sinar lightmetering probe see the pictuure above

Below is some pages from a sinar brocure with regard to light metering

You might not want to leap straight into that but bear it in mind with regard to the recomendation of any light metering equipment.

There are several paths you could take to get to 10x8 but I wouldn't worry to much about that at the moment.

The link bellow is to a PDF that provides instructions for all the Sinar camera and also might help you answer some of your own questions as it covers most of what you have asked.

http://www.webster.edu/acadaffairs/asp/ ... manual.pdf

Edit

Forgot to add Peter Walnes still has that bag bellows that you will need for the viewer and for wide lenses

http://www.peterwalnes.com/component/pa ... /Itemid,1/

Also now has a binocular viewer

and the matching hood

Sometimes the above two are sold together

Dave Shutter

Post by Dave Shutter » Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:21 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi,
If interested I have a dark cloth and a couple of bags that may suit you.
Please pm if interested for price and photo's
Thanks,
David

Charles Twist
Founder

Post by Charles Twist » Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:20 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Muz mentions changing format, which is something I'd be interested in (I'm also a F2-owner). With the F series, changing format means buying a whole rear standard of the right size. With the P series, changing format means replacing the frame but not the bearer. Larger F-series rear standards are quite rare and expensive unlike the frames for the P series.
Is there some simple adapter that can make the F bearer take a frame for a P bearer? I notice there are 4 screws holding the F-series frame. Maybe it's just a matter of unscrewing them and then drilling & tapping 4 holes in a frame for a P bearer... Anybody any experience :?:
Regards,
Charles

dennis
Forum Hero

Post by dennis » Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:54 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I may be wrong, but I think if you are moving up from a 5x4 Sinar F to 10x8, you will also need to change the front standard, or the two vertical bits, so the lens will centre on the bigger film plane.

Marizu
Forum Hero

Post by Marizu » Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:04 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I took my Sinar P with 10x8 and 5x4 backs to show Muz a couple of weeks ago.

The only thing that I have seen that is similar to what you describe, Charles, is where this guy modifies a Sinar F(1?) to take a 5x7 Sinar P back:
http://www.largeformatphotography.info/ ... ight=sinar

Charles Twist
Founder

Post by Charles Twist » Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:32 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hello Marizu,
Thanks for the link. Good to see that I am in tune with the zeitgeist. His idea is good even though it limits the amount of rise on the front standard rather a lot. He doesn't mention that the block needs to hold the 5x7 frame in the centre of the monorail. And if anyone is wanting to go that route, the plate he uses to lock in to the groove, will be a fish plate.
I have got one of those older 5x7 adapters (with the single, long groove) and so might give it a go as a temporary effort. Looking at the adapter and the top of the F bearer, it would be possible to put three holes in to the base of the adapter, but not four. I am guessing that is steady enough but I am not sure the adapter will be square as neither the top of the F bearer nor the base of the adapter are flat. It has the advantage of keeping the adapter quite low compared to the other solution though.
Regards,
Charles

Joanna Carter
Founder
Workshop Images: http://grandes-images.com/fr/Paysages/P ... _2009.html

Post by Joanna Carter » Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:50 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Charles Twist wrote:… His idea is good even though it limits the amount of rise on the front standard rather a lot.
Couldn't you just tilt the rail back and restraighten the standards to achieve more rise?
Reassure yourself - stroke an Ebony

Marizu
Forum Hero

Post by Marizu » Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:26 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Joanna Carter wrote:Couldn't you just tilt the rail back and restraighten the standards to achieve more rise?
That would work but if he changes his focus, he will have to adjust his rise, too.

Charles, if you make an adapter for the 5x7 back with the single groove, then next time I see you, I'll bring my 10x8 back for you to try. It's pretty heavy so I'm not sure how I would feel about having it on an F standard.

Charles Twist
Founder

Post by Charles Twist » Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:12 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

With 10x8, the F series front standard would probably not have enough movement, so it's all rather moot. For the moment, I am seeing where 5X7 takes me; I am not sure I have a use yet for 10x8 (and also I have more pressing items for me to spend my money on :( ).
I could tilt the whole camera to compensate. While not particularly ergonomic, it's good for a look-see.
Best regards,
Charles

Charles Twist
Founder

Post by Charles Twist » Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:21 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

On another note, I've looked at the Sinar manual. The Depth of Field calculator is interesting and I am intrigued by the fact the camera can suggest a f-stop. Is that the optimal f-stop? Or is it a minimum f-stop to produce a certain circle of confusion (if so, based on what?)?
Regards,
Charles

Muzamil Choudhury

Post by Muzamil Choudhury » Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:31 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi thanks for all the advice.
Thingy-- what do you mean when you that the binocular reflex would be no good on field?

does the binocular magnifier still work with a fresnel screen?

Why would I need a wide bag for the viewer?

What does the booster do and how does it work?

Also can I ask if Dark slides need to be in excellent condition as I have heard they leak light in bad condition.... so wouldnt I be fair to say that this is the most important part especially if you dont want to go out on a project and blow lots of film

Clive Gray

Post by Clive Gray » Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:14 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

One on the left is the reflex viewer, its far larger and more fragile in the field than the much more compact binocular magnifying viewer to the left.

The binocular viewer is most likely going to be more compact and wiegh less than a darkcloth and will be a lot easier to use.

You can see in the above picture of the p the bag bellows attatch to the back of the viewing screen and the binocular viewer clips tp them yes this all still works with a frensel

The Booster is used to take spot exposure measurements in the film plane

I'll try and find yet more info on that.

With regard to format changing etc I'll dig out the various bits and take some photos etc which might make the options clearer later