First LF camera Sinar f2 bought need accesories

A place to talk about photography, the meaning of life and anything that doesn't quite fit elsewhere
Joanna Carter
Founder
Workshop Images: http://grandes-images.com/fr/Paysages/P ... _2009.html

Re: First LF camera Sinar f2 bought need accesories

Post by Joanna Carter » Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:45 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

It's just an observation but, I get the impression that Sinar owners tend to suffer from GAS (Gear Acquisition Syndrome) :lol: What's with all these accessories and stuff?

Muz, can I suggest you get yourself a simple lupe (around 6x magnification), then get out there and start making pictures, rather than spending a load of money on building up your kit so early in your "career" :D You don't need either the binocular viewer or the reflex viewer. Don't forget, if you're not based in a studio, you've got to carry all this stuff!!!

All you need to start making picturesis: the basic camera, a couple of lenses on boards, a lupe, a dark cloth, an exposure meter, and some film holders.
Reassure yourself - stroke an Ebony

Charles Twist
Founder

Post by Charles Twist » Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:08 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

And if you're capturing pictures on a medium with a narrow dynamic range (colour transparency film, DPP), you'll probably need some ND graduated filters too. In fact, I would favour them over a lupe, since I can still see clearly enough but can't get away without the filters. And if you can't afford a lupe, an old enlarging lens does the trick. Apart from that, Joanna is right: nothing like practicing to know what you really need.

I have taken plenty of pics without a fresnel and my pics have not suffered too badly. In fact, I must say I don't find the Sinar fresnel very easy to use. The main reason for a fresnel is to make your life easier with wide angle lenses (f less than 100mm). Strangely, I find the Sinar fresnel easiest to use at the longer lengths (f above 200mm). Which tells me it's not doing a great job. I suspect it's because the screen is not flush against the glass.

As for the GAS theory: the great thing with Sinar, and the reason I landed there, is that all these accessories are available and give me the flexibility for me to develop my craft how I want. Not all are necessary and it is a matter of choosing what's best for one's practice. With a single camera, I can shoot 5X7, 5x4 and 6x17 - the latter with a 90mm lens fitted to a standard plate, without having to put the front standard through a yoga session either. I can shoot anything from 50mm to 750mm on flat panels. I can use old barrel lenses thanks to the Sinar shutter. Can any other camera do all that? Naturally I don't carry all that with me at all times (shame about the weight!), but I have the choice of which camera to shoot with. The ratio of choice to financial outlay is very attractive. Ignoring the lenses but including the 6x17 back, the camera cost little more than a grand and delivers far more than a TK45 or an Ebony in that price bracket. Horses for courses. I may be gassy but I am not boring. :wink:

Regards,
Charles

Muzamil Choudhury

Post by Muzamil Choudhury » Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:36 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

thanks everyone i am going to take it step by step and see how i get on and then see what i need. again appreciate the info but i think i need to learn the basics with the camera and take it from there

:)

Thingy
Forum Hero

Post by Thingy » Mon Dec 19, 2011 7:24 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Muzz

I have an unused 6x Manfrotto lupe* if you are interested. Bought it new but never used it as I prefer the Schneider 4x lupe, which is lighter & better optical quality.... at a price! :oops:

http://teamworkphoto.com/shop/index.php ... ckjck862h0

Make me an offer. At the moment it is taking up shelf space. :roll:

Steve
Love is an Ebony mounted with a Cooke PS945.......