Contact printing frame

A place to talk about photography, the meaning of life and anything that doesn't quite fit elsewhere
dennis
Forum Hero

Contact printing frame

Post by dennis » Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:37 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Where can 10x8 printing frames be bought? Or can they be made from a converted picture frame? I'd like to find one which allows the whole 10x8 area to be printed.

Joanna Carter
Founder
Workshop Images: http://grandes-images.com/fr/Paysages/P ... _2009.html

Re: Contact printing frame

Post by Joanna Carter » Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:31 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

How about simply laying the paper and neg on top of of something flat like a sheet of MDF and then a piece of glass on top?
Reassure yourself - stroke an Ebony

Andrew Plume
Forum Hero

Post by Andrew Plume » Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:01 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi Dennis

I have a feeling/recollection that fotosped used to stock them as new items - I'm not aware of any other retailer in the UK

However, contact printing frames are a standard 'stock item' over at the excellent Bostick & Sullivan, here's the link:-

http://www.bostick-sullivan.com/cart/home.php?cat=38

regards

andrew

Trevor Crone

Post by Trevor Crone » Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:39 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Paterson make a Universal contact printing frame; http://www.firstcall-photographic.co.uk ... -universal I have one and it usually works ok. However I did treat myself a couple of years ago to a Lotus 10"x12" contact frame from Linhof and Studio, expensive but built to last long after I've left this world :) http://www.linhofstudio.com/products/fi ... rames.html

Oliver

Post by Oliver » Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:48 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Andrew Plume wrote:Hi Dennis

I have a feeling/recollection that fotosped used to stock them as new items - I'm not aware of any other retailer in the UK

However, contact printing frames are a standard 'stock item' over at the excellent Bostick & Sullivan, here's the link:-

http://www.bostick-sullivan.com/cart/home.php?cat=38

regards

andrew
Andrew is, of course, right. But we need first of all to be certain what dennis, the OP, really wants.

Does he want a split-back frame for exposing sensitised paper to sunlight or UV tubes (split-back, because it's possible to open the back and check on the progress of the necessarily slow exposure while still keeping the paper and the negative in register)? Or does he want a frame to place on a regular enlarger baseboard to make a darkroom-type contact? B & S will supply the first, and probably Paterson the second.

Split-back frames can sometimes be bought from auction sites. I found one there for 5x4, made by Eastman of Rochester, NY. I used it as a pattern to make a larger one to take A4 shheets and negs.

dennis
Forum Hero

Post by dennis » Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:14 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Thanks for all the replies. I am currently using a piece of glass on enlarger baseboard, but also using some ancient Jessop paper which curls, I am finding it difficult to get a reasonable register. On the other hand, while beautiful to behold, & no doubt use, I don't want to spend £330 + VAT for the Lotus one. B & H in US have one at reasonable price, but this nearly doubles with postage, then there is duty & Vat, so not very practical either. The split back is probably not too important unless it makes easier getting the film & paper to stay in one place. Dennis.

Trevor Crone

Post by Trevor Crone » Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:00 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

For 'printing-out' processes a split back frame is desirable to check on progress without the risk of putting the negative out of register, however for 'developing-out' processes like most pt/pd printing the Paterson Universal Contact Printing frame is fine, I've used it for pt/pd printing and it works ok.

Sadly there no longer seems anyone on these shores making 8x10 contact frames. :(

Peter B
Forum Hero

Post by Peter B » Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:58 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

dennis wrote:Where can 10x8 printing frames be bought? Or can they be made from a converted picture frame? I'd like to find one which allows the whole 10x8 area to be printed.
Why not post a Wanted ad in the Classifieds section? Can't do any harm and it might just trigger someone's memory that they have one tucked away.

michaelfinch

Post by michaelfinch » Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:22 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

You could track down a Paterson or similar and replace the original glass with a piece of perspex (or glass). Most sign-makers would be happy to cut a piece to size for you and finish the edges.

timing

Post by timing » Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:16 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Dennis apologies I didn't respond to your pm on this.

I didn't get a printing frame. What I did end up with was slightly different. I was in Ikea one day (or rather being dragged around by my wife) when I saw, in the warehouse section, a wooden shelf and a glass shelf to match; ie. they were the exact same dimensions. The glass was good and thick and heavy so I simply bought both for around £30 total.

At home I laid the glass on top of the wood and ran some tape down one long edge to make a hinge. A little tape on the opposite side made a couple of handles for easy lifting of the glass.

Easy and cheap and perfect for my needs.

Peter Vicente

Post by Peter Vicente » Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:48 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi Dennis,
I am sure I have a Patterson 10x8 contact frame in my darkroom somewhere,if I can find it you can have it for free. Just pay the postage
regards
Peter

Peter Vicente

Post by Peter Vicente » Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:00 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi Again,
Found it!!!
PM me with your address and I will post it you
Peter