balda baldix 120 frame overlap

A place to talk about photography, the meaning of life and anything that doesn't quite fit elsewhere
Chris Wilding

balda baldix 120 frame overlap

Post by Chris Wilding » Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:34 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hello there

Okay I have a 120 question.....

I have bought an old balda Baldix 6x6 folding camera with an anti-double exposure feature. When winding on the film one needs to wind anti-clockwise fully then wind clockwise fully to get to the next frame, there is a red viewing window in the back but apparently I shouldn't have to use it after the first frame has been shot. However whilst most of the frames are okay(though not much space between them) some of the frames overlap slightly. Is my only option just to line the frame number up using the film viewing window?

Does any body know this camera and what I'm doing wrong?

Don't worry my heart still belongs to large format.

Thanks

Chris

lostlandsuk

Re: balda baldix 120 frame overlap

Post by lostlandsuk » Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:58 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi Chris - I take it you have seen this:
http://www.cameramanuals.org/pdf_files/ ... ix_6x6.pdf
if you have, I would say see how it goes lining up the numbers under the red window if you can (though of course that might muck up the mechanism) - you have plenty of space to play with on a 120. Sounds to me like it probably needs a service . . and even then!
Phil

Chris Wilding

Post by Chris Wilding » Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:43 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi Phil

Thanks for the post and the link. I was just hoping to use the frame counter on the side as per instructions but there you go,maybe I will have it serviced. Still loads of fun to use.

Thanks again

Chris

sandeha
Forum Hero

Post by sandeha » Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:02 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

You may be doing nothing wrong, but simply that the gear teeth in the film winder have worn - at least, that is if nothing worse has occured. I worked on one of these a few months ago with just this problem and it was a (relatively) easy fix with a needle file and the adjustment of a spring.

If the rest of the camera is in good nick then it is worth doing. It's a nice mechanism, just unfortunate that they used a rather soft metal.

banana_legs

Post by banana_legs » Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:04 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Mine does the same so I just use the red window.

Best regards,

Evan
More mad ramblings at http://blog.concretebanana.co.uk

Chris Wilding

Post by Chris Wilding » Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:11 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

sandeha wrote:You may be doing nothing wrong, but simply that the gear teeth in the film winder have worn - at least, that is if nothing worse has occured. I worked on one of these a few months ago with just this problem and it was a (relatively) easy fix with a needle file and the adjustment of a spring.

If the rest of the camera is in good nick then it is worth doing. It's a nice mechanism, just unfortunate that they used a rather soft metal.
Hi Guys

Thanks for the excellent advice!

I removed the winding knob and such and the gear teeth were not so much worn as clogged and oily I cleared them with a cocktail stick. When re-assembling the mechanism I also carefully adjusted the tightness of the bolt that retains the winding knob which seemed to help the,'Pawl'? part engage the teeth. It's now winding the film on to the correct frame number as I look through the red window, though I haven't processed yet, satisfying!

Think I've done anything to damage it?

Thanks again team

Chris

sandeha
Forum Hero

Post by sandeha » Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:48 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Sounds like you got it. Well done. :D