B&H / UPS shipping - a cautionary tale.

A place to talk about photography, the meaning of life and anything that doesn't quite fit elsewhere
Tim Myers
Forum Hero

B&H / UPS shipping - a cautionary tale.

Post by Tim Myers » Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:27 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Last week I ordered some film from B&H - primarily because they had stock of RVP in Quickload. The good £:$ rate seemed to make the hassle worthwhile.

At the moment I'm working all my time out on a client's site, so I'm not at home during the day, but I didn't think that would be an issue because I normally get the packages redirected or collect from the depot if I miss them.

So last night, I got home to a failed delivery card from UPS. I called UPS to arrange a redelivery, and had this arranged when the CSR notcied that there was a mark on the shipping details not to allow redirection. So I tried to arrange a time to be at home for redelivery - this would have been next week and UPS were unable to hold the package for that period of time. They suggested I contact B&H and ask them to alter the shipping info so that either they could hold the package for longer or arrange an alternate delivery address. After 20 minutes on the phone to the US, I spoke to an exceptionally rude rep at B&H who was unwilling to alter any of the shipping information.

I can't collect from UPS as their opening times are too inconvenient to me (6-7pm, the depot is about an hour and a half drive for me), so I've had no alternative but to let them return to sender. B&H have issued an RMA, but I get the feeling that I'm going to get lumbered with the shipping charge.

B&H state that their reasons for not allowing the redirect is purely for security, but they allow packages shipped withing the US to be redirected. Not allowing a change to the length of time UPS hold the package really does seem silly to me.

End of rant ;)

chipper

Post by chipper » Thu Jan 25, 2007 11:28 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Tim, you want to check ebay. I have bought 4 or 5 lots from the States now, without any problem. There is currently some available from the supplier I use (Hunts Photo and Video). 40 sheets for $104.95, which is currently £53.34 plus $20.95 for shipping to the UK. In date. Bargain!. Stu.