Velvia 100F dynamic range confusion.

A place to talk about photography, the meaning of life and anything that doesn't quite fit elsewhere
Thingy
Forum Hero

Re: Velvia 100F dynamic range confusion.

Post by Thingy » Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:51 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

timparkin wrote:
dave_whatever wrote:Are you selling your grads then Tim? :wink:
You could get away without them for some work but it still looks better with them :-) I use them for my colour neg work too (although substitute one stop less soft instead of hard typically
Compare the images (top: without grad ND filter & bottom: with grad ND filter).

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2965&p=16584#p16584
Love is an Ebony mounted with a Cooke PS945.......

timparkin
Forum Hero

Post by timparkin » Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:17 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Thingy wrote:
timparkin wrote:
dave_whatever wrote:Are you selling your grads then Tim? :wink:
You could get away without them for some work but it still looks better with them :-) I use them for my colour neg work too (although substitute one stop less soft instead of hard typically
Compare the images (top: without grad ND filter & bottom: with grad ND filter).

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2965&p=16584#p16584
This is partly the effect I'm thinking about but in this case the use of the grad has allowed the colour of the sky to be preserved (or at least Velvia's interpretation of it). I've noticed quite regularly that overexposed blues in velvia go cyanic (rather unpleasant in my opinion) and so I always try to limit any blues to +1 at the brightest. This is as opposed to yellow/red that can take +2.5 before starting to go yellowish or even +3.5 before they finally start going transparent.

In the case of neg film, highlights can tend to go more yellow (at least in Portra) which is limited by the grad but the biggest effect is signal to noise ratio which can be seen in this graph comparing digital to film from a DxO paper.

An objective protocol for comparing the noise performance of silver halide film and digital sensor
http://www.dxo.com/var/dxo/storage/fcke ... yright.pdf

Here's an extract of the graph of Portra 160NC

As you can see, around about +1 stops, the neg film has it's best signal to noise ratio and from that point on it starts dropping. I tend to over expose my neg film by a stop which moves my subject matter into the least noisy area - this means that my highlights can get noisy, especially if I want to burn them in at a later date. Hence using a couple of stops soft grad helps in most situations.

Tim
Waiting for the developing bill - 2 hours (and it's so small now!)

Trail Images

Post by Trail Images » Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:34 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I've noticed quite regularly that overexposed blues in velvia go cyanic (rather unpleasant in my opinion) and so I always try to limit any blues to +1 at the brightest.
Excellent point, Tim.
I've had the same results with V-50. With that said I use soft grads almost all the time when the sky is included in a scene. There are those who will also include a polarizer, backed off to 30-50%, with very decent results. Not as easily dialed in when using a LF compared to looking through a camera with a look through view finder, but can be worked out with some experimentation.