Dry mounting

A place to talk about photography, the meaning of life and anything that doesn't quite fit elsewhere
dennis
Forum Hero

Dry mounting

Post by dennis » Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:23 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Have the urge to enter for an exhibition which requires pics to be mounted. It about fifty years since I last dry mounted a photo (the ones I did then are still OK!) & I did it with a domestic iron, but cannot remember the details. Does anyone know what setting would be appropriate & if mounting tissue 'goes off' with age? Thanks. Dennis.

Paul Mitchell

Re: Dry mounting

Post by Paul Mitchell » Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:26 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Unless they've specifically specified 'dry mounted' I think mounting in a bevel cut window mount should suffice, at least that's my experience of recent exhibitions.
When people ask what equipment I use - I tell them my eyes.

http://www.paulmitchellphotography.co.uk
http://www.arenaphotographers.com

dennis
Forum Hero

Post by dennis » Tue May 01, 2012 8:32 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

They specify all prints must be mounted on a 20x16 mount regardless of print size; which suggest a plain mount to me. Dennis.

TimH

Post by TimH » Tue May 01, 2012 10:03 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

A couple of non-archiveable possibilities then are self-adhesive mattboard or self adhesice foamcore. They are both fine for medium term display. More expensive self adhesive mattboard is acid free - in fact thats whats used by a lot of commercial framers these days - no=one seems to use heat on inkjet prints.
There is a knack to sticking to it and be aware that some inkjet papers just don't stick to the stuff whereas other papers stick like the proverbial.
Double sided mounting tape however sticks to just about everything and can be used if pushed.
I used to buy mine locally from hobbycraft but they often dont seem to have in stock these days so I but from local framer (bit too expensive from there tho)

regards Tim........
Digi-snapper now (finally) turned LF shooter hmm been doing this long enuff - Now LF photog !

dennis
Forum Hero

Post by dennis » Wed May 02, 2012 10:30 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Tim,
My prints will be of the 'wet' variety so dry mounting as such will not be a problem. I was just hoping I could get an idea of the best domestic iron setting to use. I'll just have to experiment. Thanks for replies. Dennis.

dennis
Forum Hero

Post by dennis » Sat May 05, 2012 10:10 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Dry mounting doesn't work for RC prints - the emulsion bubbles & can be peeled off. Possibilities for 'expression' perhaps. Dennis.

BarryWilkinson
Forum Hero

Post by BarryWilkinson » Sat May 05, 2012 11:18 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Dennis I assume you are using dry mount tissue? If so http://www.johnkersey-engineering.co.uk/infopage1.html may help with your temperature setting?

dennis
Forum Hero

Post by dennis » Sat May 05, 2012 11:27 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Barry,
Thanks for your suggestion - all help. I did know about the correct temperature, what I don't know is how the settings - cotton, linen etc on a domestic iron relate to actual temps. I tried a sample old RC print at 'cotton' & it works, but the emulsion bubbled so I cannot dry mount my RC prints. More thought nec. Dennis.

deadpan

Post by deadpan » Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:15 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Just to clarify, rc, inkjet / pretty much anything can be dry mounted to nearly any material without bubbling etc. I'm guessing the op had the heat too high if this was the result. At work we have a hotpress (http://www.hotpress.co.uk/presses.htm) (sorry Dennis we're in Suffolk) and students and staff regularly dry mount c-types, inkjets etc. onto card, kappa board, foamex, aluminium, mdf etc.

Takes a bit of practice to get it right sometimes. We have a dedicated tacking iron, wich I'm sure makes things easier. Good luck to Dennis though. If it helps our vacuum press runs at around 89 degrees, and at that temp. I would mount to card for 2 minutes (but of course that's in a vacuum etc.)

Dennis if you're struggling, many labs and framers will do this for you if you supply the prints.

Best,
Matthew