Scanning limitations - or why not buy a drum scanner?

A place to talk about photography, the meaning of life and anything that doesn't quite fit elsewhere
alangolding

Post by alangolding » Mon May 07, 2007 8:21 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

The answer to the question about whether my Power Mac 9500/132 has network capabilities is I do not know. I still want to upgrade to a G3 or G4 which I presume would, and to use a Firewire connection which I understand should work. You can probably tell from this reply that my knowledge of such matters is extremely limited. The distance from my pc to the scanner is about 80 feet. Electric cable already runs to the shed from the house and is all buried underground.

It's possible that my Crosfield Magnascan 200i will not run on modern software. This is what I have been led to believe. I have also been told that I cannot use anything more modern than OS9. I would love to run on up to date hardware anad software but Pete who supplied everything was quite adament. Does anyone have any better knowledge?

Steve Bell

Post by Steve Bell » Mon May 07, 2007 8:34 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Alan, your Power Mac 9500 has 10 base ethernet built into the logic board.

DJ
Site Admin

Post by DJ » Tue May 08, 2007 11:37 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Alan, can you show a small picture of your scanner? If you got it from Pete, it's probably a Crosfield rebadged Howtek, in which case you can run it on Silverfast. Does it look like this?

http://www.joy.org.uk/stuff/.scanner/drum-scanner.jpg

Pete wasn't aware of some of the more modern options for software on these scanner ( he is now, I've given him a few more options ). I think what Pete told you is that Aurora, and Trident will not run on anything newer than OS9, which is true. If you're prepared to shell out for new software, then there are a couple of options. There's DPP ( for Windows, expensive, about £1000 ) and there's Silverfast ( about £300 ), assuming your scanner is a Howtek like mine.

Joanna has offered to whip you up a length of Cat5, I also have a drum of the stuff laying around if need be, so maybe networking that machine and just punting the files over to another machine would be an easier option.

Clive Gray

Post by Clive Gray » Fri Nov 14, 2008 7:14 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I recently won a Crosfield Celcius 240 on ebay for £565 it's a re badged Howtek 4500 and came with 2 good drums the mounting station spare belts and about I would guess £150 pounds worth of consumables plus when I collected it I was given the old Pc with dongle that had been running it and a selection of SSCI leads.

Currently I'm experimenting with Silverfast which I'm not a fan of and have ordered the Aztek Digital Photolab software thats currently at $500 rather than $2000 the v750 i sitting in a corner as quite apart from anything else fluid mounting on the Howtek is just so much easier than messing around with the Epson.

I would say it's really worth looking out for the Howtek if you can find one in reasonable condition I find it easier to use than the V750 at least for sheet film and the results so far at least "seem" better to me.