Focusing Screens.

A place to talk about photography, the meaning of life and anything that doesn't quite fit elsewhere
Keith Tapscott
Forum Hero

Focusing Screens.

Post by Keith Tapscott » Sat Feb 17, 2007 6:37 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Is there an alternative focusing screen preferably with grid lines that I can buy to replace the standard one on my MPP Mark 8 camera? :?:

gari
Forum Hero

Post by gari » Sat Feb 17, 2007 7:22 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I ordered a satin snow screen that was made for a Shen Hao from Badger graphic. Came from stock so I got it in about 10 days from the US!!
Cost was about 10$ with about a fiver for postage, I think.

No grids but that would be a simple matter to put your own on with a good graphic art propelling pencil, .5-.3 mm ish.

http://www.badgergraphic.com/store/cart ... ail&p=2025

Gari
you don't need eyes to see, you need vision!

Keith Tapscott
Forum Hero

Post by Keith Tapscott » Sat Feb 17, 2007 7:30 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

gari wrote:I ordered a satin snow screen that was made for a Shen Hao from Badger graphic. Came from stock so I got it in about 10 days from the US!!
Cost was about 10$ with about a fiver for postage, I think.

No grids but that would be a simple matter to put your own on with a good graphic art propelling pencil, .5-.3 mm ish.

http://www.badgergraphic.com/store/cart ... ail&p=2025

Gari
Thanks for the info Gari, are there no alternative products in the UK?
I`m sure the `Satin Snow` screens are fine products, so will put them on my short list.

gari
Forum Hero

Post by gari » Sat Feb 17, 2007 7:44 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Yeh, talk to Robert white about a ground glass from Tachihara or Ebony. I looked at these but as the Tachi was £40 ish and the Ebony was about £60 ish plus vat and p+p I went the Badger Graphic route.

I know the Cambo ones for a CS will fir as that is what I was using until I got the Satin Snow, not sure where you would get one or what price.

I tried the DIY route too, way too much trouble for me to be honest.

Gari

Joanna Carter
Founder
Workshop Images: http://grandes-images.com/fr/Paysages/P ... _2009.html

Post by Joanna Carter » Sat Feb 17, 2007 7:53 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Keith, IMO the best screen available has to be the Maxwell. It is not just a GG, it is a micro-fresnel and is even better at handling everything from 72mm to tele lenses than the Ebony ones. Unlike Ebony, you only need one screen for most usable focal lengths. What is more, they will put a grid on it, as long as you don't mind it being in imperial measurements due to the American lack of understanding of metric :lol:

Bill Maxwell is very personable and eager to please, just don't expect to get away with a cheap phone call :roll: The web site is http://www.mattclara.com/maxwell/index2.html.

Due to the exceptional nature of these screens, they do tend to cost a bit but with the current exchange rate of $1.95, you should be reasonably happy with about $220. Bill did say that he might be able to do free delivery if you mention the UKLFPG but don't assume it; he is only a small company and hasn't much wiggle-room on prices.

Keith Tapscott
Forum Hero

Post by Keith Tapscott » Sat Feb 17, 2007 9:41 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Joanna Carter wrote:Keith, IMO the best screen available has to be the Maxwell. It is not just a GG, it is a micro-fresnel and is even better at handling everything from 72mm to tele lenses than the Ebony ones. Unlike Ebony, you only need one screen for most usable focal lengths. What is more, they will put a grid on it, as long as you don't mind it being in imperial measurements due to the American lack of understanding of metric :lol:

Bill Maxwell is very personable and eager to please, just don't expect to get away with a cheap phone call :roll: The web site is http://www.mattclara.com/maxwell/index2.html.

Due to the exceptional nature of these screens, they do tend to cost a bit but with the current exchange rate of $1.95, you should be reasonably happy with about $220. Bill did say that he might be able to do free delivery if you mention the UKLFPG but don't assume it; he is only a small company and hasn't much wiggle-room on prices.
Hello Joanna,
Another one for the short list. Yes, I agree that the `Yanks` don`t do metric very well. :lol: I used to buy Kodak D-76 in cans to make 5 litres, now it comes in foil satchets to make 1 US Gallon ( 3.78 litres).

Does anyone know the exact length, width and depth of the original screen on the MPP Mk 8 camera? :?:

gari
Forum Hero

Post by gari » Sat Feb 17, 2007 11:21 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi Keith, the GG is exactly 5.25inx4.25in, the thickness isn't so much of an issue as GG thickness is fairly standard.

Also the springs or clips have a modicum of tolerance due to the flex of either design. Mine was 3mm just for the record.

Gari

Keith Tapscott
Forum Hero

Post by Keith Tapscott » Sun Feb 18, 2007 8:23 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

gari wrote:Hi Keith, the GG is exactly 5.25inx4.25in, the thickness isn't so much of an issue as GG thickness is fairly standard.

Also the springs or clips have a modicum of tolerance due to the flex of either design. Mine was 3mm just for the record.

Gari
I measured the ground glass screen and it measures at 125mmX100mm, I can`t measure the depth exactly, as I don't have a suitable gauge, but is approximately 1.5mm thickness.
Will I have to provide these measurements when ordering, or just give the name and make of the camera? :?:

gari
Forum Hero

Post by gari » Sun Feb 18, 2007 8:43 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

It depends who you order from, most dealers would not be familiar with MPP beyond knowing it as an old press camera I would think.

I would suggest giving the measurements and see if they can find a screen that matches.
Keep in mind that if they offer one with a fresnel that, A, it will fit depth wise, B, you establish which side if the screen it goes, ie is it closer to the lens or the operator.
Although the MPP didn't come with a fresnel, there is no problems getting one with a fresnel if it fits.

If you go for the Shen Hoa from Badger you just order through the link/ checkout.

Good luck

Gari

Joanna Carter
Founder

Post by Joanna Carter » Sun Feb 18, 2007 9:31 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

gari wrote:Although the MPP didn't come with a fresnel, there is no problems getting one with a fresnel if it fits
The Maxwell screen is a GG on one side and the fresnel on the other. With the Ebony, all you need is a cover glass to complete the setup.

Thingy
Forum Hero

Maxwell Focussing Screens

Post by Thingy » Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:54 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Here is a reply I received from Bill Maxwell following an enquiry I made about a suitable screen for my Ebony .... once it arrives 8)

Read below for descriptions of screens, current prices, payment and shipping options. I provide my line of HI-LUX focus screens for an incredible variety of both modern and classic cameras of all different formats (35mm, Medium Format, Large Format, DSLRs, Medium Format Digital & Large Format Digital). Feel free to share this information with your friends. You may contact me if you wish at 1+770-939-6644 with questions or to order:

My HI-LUX Brilliant Matte 4.7 focus screen is the finest general purpose focus screen available for 4x5 cameras. It has a very bright, contrasty, very fine grain, high clarity focusing surface that provides superior illumination across the screen with all of your lenses (especially your wide angles) compared to all the other screens on the market. It also performs well with long lenses and long bellows draws. This screen is available (a) without lines, (b) with grid lines. My screen would provide truly superior performance for your Ebony 4x5. The price is $285.00. A custom cover glass can be provided with the asymmetric tilt lines (in blue), 6x9, and 6x12 format lines (in red) as well as the 12.7mm grid lines (in black). The cost of the screen supplied with this custom cover glass is $325.00

***Thingy - My screen is a modern “one piece” screen, which is made of high quality, optical grade plastic, with the brilliant focus surface on the lens side of the screen and the ultra fine groove pitch, high clarity fresnel on the back side (so focus is not affected). There is a clear cover glass on the back side to protect the screen and insure optical flatness. I also have a HI-LUX Ultra Brilliant Matte 4.7 screen (extremely bright, very fine grain focus surface) for $100.00 extra. A HI-LUX Extreme Wide Angle screen is also available as a specialtly screen. Contact me if you are interested in these screens. My screen would work beautifully with your Schneider 120mm Macro lens. If you are going to do much macro where the focusing aperture will be very slow because of the higher magnification (due to the longer bellows extension), you may want to consider my HI-LUX Ultra Brilliant Matt 4.7 screen, which is more than ten times brighter than own my standard HI-LUX Brilliant Matte 4.7 focus screen (my standard screen is already about four times brighter than your current Ebony screen with a better distribution of illumination across the screen).

Payment can be made via a major credit card or international money order. If you want to use a card, we will need your name as it appears on your card, card number, card expiration date, the V code number (the last three numbers on the back of your card, located in the white area where you sign your name), card billing address, shipping address and phone number. You may email your card information by dividing it into two separate emails sent at different times (for example, divide your card number in half). Send one email to maxwellprecisionoptics @ toast.net and the other on to maxwellprecisionoptics @ yahoo.com for purposes of security. You may also pay with an International Payment coupon in US dollars (available from your post office) or some form of international money order (such as Western Union, MoneyGram, etc) which may be wired or mailed. If wiring or mailing an International Payment coupon or paying with an international money order, please make it out to Bill Maxwell. My mailing address is:

Maxwell Precision Optics
PO Box 33146
Decatur GA 30033-0146 USA

Please let me know via email if you are choosing this option.

Your shipping options to the UK are as follows: Express Mail International (insured, can be tracked to your door) is $37.00. There is a $5.00 charge for preparing all international shipments. In addition to your shipping address, we will need a daytime phone number as well. Someone should be available during the day to sign for the package. We need your address in the following form to correctly fill out the label:

Recipient Name
Daytime Phone
Company (if applicable)
Address
Dept/Floor (if applicable)
City
State or Province
Country
Postal Code

Bill Maxwell

*** (Note to customers: Please do not return my email messages back to me as it clogs up my email system) ***

Apple
Forum Hero

Post by Apple » Fri Dec 05, 2008 1:31 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Thanks for the info - it maybe saves me a phone call if I get round to affording a screen (by which time the price will probably have altered.)

It's answered one query - Bill can supply a solution for the Ebony asymmetric markings as I didn't really fancy pencilling my own on to a screen / glass.

I've looked through the one Joanna has on her camera and it is brighter but I'd have to get used to the low "noise" levels - you expect some grain from the ground glass but there is very little texture to the Maxwell screen. I initially tended to think that things weren't sharp as I wasn't seeing any "bite" to the image.

Andrew
Full Member of the Tearoom Appreciation Society - affiliated to UKLFPG.

Thingy
Forum Hero

Post by Thingy » Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:18 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Apple wrote:Thanks for the info - it maybe saves me a phone call if I get round to affording a screen (by which time the price will probably have altered.)

It's answered one query - Bill can supply a solution for the Ebony asymmetric markings as I didn't really fancy pencilling my own on to a screen / glass.

I've looked through the one Joanna has on her camera and it is brighter but I'd have to get used to the low "noise" levels - you expect some grain from the ground glass but there is very little texture to the Maxwell screen. I initially tended to think that things weren't sharp as I wasn't seeing any "bite" to the image.

Andrew
I am awaiting a second reply as I have asked about the suitability of the HI-LUX Ultra Brilliant Matte 4.7 screen as my universal screen for both Macro and ordinary photographic uses with my lenses ranging from the Schneider 58XL through to the Nikon 300mm/f8. I will post that reply here once received, for your information.

I think the price is relative. I was originally expecting to pay £315 plus VAT to buy an additional mount plus Ebony's wide-angle screen to use whenever I was doing architectural photography. If I can get away with a single screen mounted in the holder supplied (retaining the Ebony screen as a back up - for emergencies) it will be cheaper, even if I go (more than likely :) ) for the HI-LUX Ultra Brilliant Matte 4.7 screen with the bespoke coverglass.

Joanna Carter
Founder

Post by Joanna Carter » Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:55 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Thingy wrote:I am awaiting a second reply as I have asked about the suitability of the HI-LUX Ultra Brilliant Matte 4.7 screen as my universal screen for both Macro and ordinary photographic uses with my lenses ranging from the Schneider 58XL through to the Nikon 300mm/f8. I will post that reply here once received, for your information.
Well, I can tell you that I can easily use anything from my 72XL right up to my 400mm FujinonT

You might be able to use your 58mm as I don't really get any noticeable falloff in the corners on the 72mm.
Thingy wrote:I think the price is relative. I was originally expecting to pay £315 plus VAT to buy an additional mount plus Ebony's wide-angle screen to use whenever I was doing architectural photography. If I can get away with a single screen mounted in the holder supplied (retaining the Ebony screen as a back up - for emergencies) it will be cheaper, even if I go (more than likely :) ) for the HI-LUX Ultra Brilliant Matte 4.7 screen with the bespoke coverglass.
I have both a spare Ebony standard and a W/A fresnel, if you want to do a comparison. All I can say is that it is not only cheaper to buy the Maxwell, it is also much easier than having to change backs whenever you need a longer/shorter lens.
Reassure yourself - stroke an Ebony

timparkin
Forum Hero

Post by timparkin » Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:00 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I have the maxwell and have also used the w/a fresnel and although for 90% of uses the maxwell does the job, with my 80mm Schneider XL in low light, I'd much prefer the ebony w/a fresnel than the standard maxwell - I don't know about the new 'extra bright' though.. My goal is to hopefully get a maxwell w/a on a mahogany spare back - something I woudln't carry on long hauls but would make early morning/late evening wide angle shots a pleasure rather than a pain..
Waiting for the developing bill - 2 hours (and it's so small now!)