RIP

A place to talk about photography, the meaning of life and anything that doesn't quite fit elsewhere
Andrew Plume
Forum Hero

Re: RIP

Post by Andrew Plume » Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:16 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Sal Santamaura wrote:
Dave Tolcher wrote:...Joe...always understood the advantages of movements although I understand that the seen work appeared to limit that to tilt/rise/fall...
Leaving out what? Swing/shift [cross]? Those are hardly ever needed for landscape work.
yes, + 1

andrew

Susie Frith

Post by Susie Frith » Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:45 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi Guys,

I started to post a reply just now, and then thought I'd have a look at Joe Cornish's web site. I lead a fairly solitary photographic life, and must admit I'd never heard of him until he was mentioned on this thread. Now, although his style is not one I'd want to emulate, I can now see where the V50/Ebony hugging comes from (I never did know what was meant by hugging them...)

Is the demise of the forum then just due to the fad wearing off, leaving those it never touched behind? I don't think it needs to be separated from the digi crowd - after all there are separate bits for digi and wet process posts already. If the forum is to encourage meets then what one does with the neg at home is not an issue.

By the way, Vanman, I recently emailed Jana at Foma, who told me that Silverprint (who are the official UK dealers) will be able to order half-plate film for me. I can check if they will do 200asa rather than 100, if you want to add 5x7 to the order I can do that. It would be about 6 weeks delivery as they cut it to size to order.

Susie

Andrew Plume
Forum Hero

Post by Andrew Plume » Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:02 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Susie Frith wrote:Hi Guys,

I started to post a reply just now, and then thought I'd have a look at Joe Cornish's web site. I lead a fairly solitary photographic life, and must admit I'd never heard of him until he was mentioned on this thread. Now, although his style is not one I'd want to emulate, I can now see where the V50/Ebony hugging comes from (I never did know what was meant by hugging them...)

Is the demise of the forum then just due to the fad wearing off, leaving those it never touched behind? I don't think it needs to be separated from the digi crowd - after all there are separate bits for digi and wet process posts already. If the forum is to encourage meets then what one does with the neg at home is not an issue.

By the way, Vanman, I recently emailed Jana at Foma, who told me that Silverprint (who are the official UK dealers) will be able to order half-plate film for me. I can check if they will do 200asa rather than 100, if you want to add 5x7 to the order I can do that. It would be about 6 weeks delivery as they cut it to size to order.

Susie

Susie

yes, well, Velvia and 'Ebony hugging' (a tag proposed and delivered by 'Vanman').............................now I'm not opposed to the odd bit of lens hugging/cuddling either and I know that Vanman loves his 5 x 7 Ansco (and well he should as it's an absolutely lovely example), maybe he's been secretly courting others........................

I'm not sure, at all that this Forum is in decline, 'Vanman' kicked off this thread, whether tongue in cheek or not but it's had the necessary effect. There has clearly been a past 'Ebony/V50 fad/slight culture' on here but there are enough others using different kit to make this forum get under way again

sounds as though Foma are happy to step into the void 'vacated' (sic) by Adox

regards

andrew
Last edited by Andrew Plume on Tue Dec 25, 2012 2:05 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00, edited 2 times in total.

Sal Santamaura

Post by Sal Santamaura » Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:24 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Andrew Plume wrote:...I'm not sure, at all that this Forum is in decline, 'Vanman' kicked off this thread, whether tongue in cheek or not...
Definitely not tongue in cheek. Check out this thread, particularly Pete's post number 24:

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/ ... -UK-Europe

Andrew Plume
Forum Hero

Post by Andrew Plume » Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:46 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Sal Santamaura wrote:
Andrew Plume wrote:...I'm not sure, at all that this Forum is in decline, 'Vanman' kicked off this thread, whether tongue in cheek or not...
Definitely not tongue in cheek. Check out this thread, particularly Pete's post number 24:

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/ ... -UK-Europe

right

err,??.............is there some past history here or am I going down the wrong route Sal? - are Pete and VM one and the same, perhaps?, you tell me, pse?

regards

andrew

Sal Santamaura

Post by Sal Santamaura » Tue Dec 25, 2012 12:18 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Andrew Plume wrote:...are Pete and VM one and the same, perhaps?...
I suspect so, but cannot say with certainty. Perhaps you should ask him/them directly.

Dave Tolcher

Post by Dave Tolcher » Tue Dec 25, 2012 9:48 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Thanks for posting the link to the thread. It is exactly the tone of that discussion and the way it was conducted that caused such negative impact here. If the result of a regenerated forum was to return to that type of discussion then I for one am 'out' as a well known BBC programme would say.

Merry Xmas

dennis
Forum Hero

Post by dennis » Tue Dec 25, 2012 10:46 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Possibly well up the wrong tree, but could the appalling weather have something to do with the lack of enthusiasm? I know that I have done less photography this year than I would normally do, largely because of the very strong winds, cold, & incessant rain. Which it is doing as write! Dennis.

gary mulder

Post by gary mulder » Tue Dec 25, 2012 11:08 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

To be honest color film is becoming a hard to get commodity. Notwithstanding I don't like the idea, but at some time, I will have to switch to a digital technical camera. If finances permit keeping the possibility of movements. Or doing B&W only. Or going down the D800 route. ( Going from bad to worse )
Then it would be nice to have a safe haven to discuss movements on digital.

Paul Dunning

Post by Paul Dunning » Tue Dec 25, 2012 12:25 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

This is an interesting thread and I notice that threads that discuss the forum seem to get the most activity, and the ones bearing bad news, i.e. the death of velvia :( oh, and of course the rather bizarre threads arguing about name colours :roll:

Personally I prefer forums which discuss images,technique and style and that doesn’t seem to happen much here, maybe that is one reason why I rarely post although I have enjoyed the two meet ups that I attended and met some nice people.

Also as somebody who shoots film or digital as the mood takes me I find the "them and us" attitude to digital that is often voiced here rather off-putting, and puzzling. Oh, and I freely admit to falling into the "Velvia/Ebony Hugger" camp and the J.C. style is definitely a big influence for me, does that make me a bad person?

Finally, I notice it's the 25th of December, Merry Christmas everyone :D

Andrew Plume
Forum Hero

Post by Andrew Plume » Tue Dec 25, 2012 1:12 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Dave Tolcher wrote:Thanks for posting the link to the thread. It is exactly the tone of that discussion and the way it was conducted that caused such negative impact here. If the result of a regenerated forum was to return to that type of discussion then I for one am 'out' as a well known BBC programme would say.

Merry Xmas

Dave

I do not want you 'out' from this forum, stick with it, pse

regards

andrew
Last edited by Andrew Plume on Tue Dec 25, 2012 2:06 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00, edited 1 time in total.

Andrew Plume
Forum Hero

Post by Andrew Plume » Tue Dec 25, 2012 1:12 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

dennis wrote:Possibly well up the wrong tree, but could the appalling weather have something to do with the lack of enthusiasm? I know that I have done less photography this year than I would normally do, largely because of the very strong winds, cold, & incessant rain. Which it is doing as write! Dennis.

Dennis, I totally agree with that

regards

andrew

Andrew Plume
Forum Hero

Post by Andrew Plume » Tue Dec 25, 2012 1:16 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Sal Santamaura wrote:
Andrew Plume wrote:...are Pete and VM one and the same, perhaps?...
I suspect so, but cannot say with certainty. Perhaps you should ask him/them directly.

right.....ok

probably best that this one closes down

it's been a bad week or so for the human race, i.e. twenty infant deaths last week + some adults, so.......................

andrew

Andrew Plume
Forum Hero

Post by Andrew Plume » Tue Dec 25, 2012 1:32 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Paul Dunning wrote:This is an interesting thread and I notice that threads that discuss the forum seem to get the most activity, and the ones bearing bad news, i.e. the death of velvia :( oh, and of course the rather bizarre threads arguing about name colours :roll:

Personally I prefer forums which discuss images,technique and style and that doesn’t seem to happen much here, maybe that is one reason why I rarely post although I have enjoyed the two meet ups that I attended and met some nice people.

Also as somebody who shoots film or digital as the mood takes me I find the "them and us" attitude to digital that is often voiced here rather off-putting, and puzzling. Oh, and I freely admit to falling into the "Velvia/Ebony Hugger" camp and the J.C. style is definitely a big influence for me, does that make me a bad person?

Finally, I notice it's the 25th of December, Merry Christmas everyone :D

Paul

yes it's been an interesting thread to date (and thx again to 'VM' for kicking it off)....................................

1) yes, steps/actions need to be taken to reverse disussing the why's and wot not's of the forum in favour of 'ART';
2) Velvia, per se, and those in favour/appreciation of it, draws clear passion, I'm in the other camp re said emulsion and am happy to post on here to enable a balanced view to be discussed;
3) the 'name colour issues', presumably is regarding 'the mod's', I suspect this will no longer be (such) an issue;
4) yes, a general discussion of photography as 'an ART' (and all that goes with it) does need to get under way and preferably pdq;
5) I'm not overly against digital, it clearly has it's place and has been responsible for encouraging many more into the world of photography;
6) you are not a BAD PERSON because you cuddle your E, use V50 and appreciate the work of JC

Also:-

there are many members over on the 'LFPF' who have either indicated or said that they are pretty apprehensive of posting on that forum, because of a few regularly posting hot heads and semi-nutters on there who love nothing other than a quick sharp written skirmish, which often ends up in belittling the original poster. I've often stood back because I don't want to see my rear end get blown off, this forum has an opportunity for those to air their views on here without that happening

Time, generally for this forum to move on and a New Year seems the right time for that

and...........errr, what am I doing spending time on this on 25/12????????

regards

andrew

Andrew Plume
Forum Hero

Post by Andrew Plume » Tue Dec 25, 2012 2:13 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Dave Tolcher wrote:Good input and discussion. I feel a need to put a bit of a counter viewpoint as I am a Joe/Ebony/Velvia baby boomer :shock: Different hilltop but no less rewarding or enjoyable IMVHO.

Joe currently uses a Linhof Techno and relies on movements for his trademark front to back sharpness even with the IQ180. He doesnt focus stack as many of the MF digi users have to. He always understood the advantages of movements although I understand that the seen work appeared to limit that to tilt/rise/fall. He is a very technically accomplished photographer and fully understands the gamut of possibilities of a LF camera. I have only seen him out with a modified 45SU although the report he did in PP all those years ago for a RW45 was what inspired me to get into LF in the first place. The realisation that you could have access to LF cheaply and much more easily than the Pentax 6x7 that I used to lug about. Quickload (and readyload) was really important to me starting despite its malignment here, TMax100 in Readyload and Acros, Velvia, Provia, Astia or 160S in QL. Quite a few of my friends probably wouldnt have started LF without that convenience either. I shot Bergger FP200 in my B & W time.

I thinks its easy to forget that in the late 90s when he was published a lot in the popular press and an Ebony era started that there were no alternatives if you wanted a non folder. The advantages of non folding camera for landscape use I really bought it, tried both and stuck with the non folder. Did I emulate joe or did I buy the only camera available ? There were no Asian clones of the Ebony cameras at that point, or if there were they werent really visible (internet in late 90s..... not what it is today). In America would there be bitching about Jack Dykinga and that 'every' landscape photographer has an Arca ? The metal cameras are far more rigid, (give you frostbite) and flexible, other woodies are lighter and some oldies are just enjoyably idosynchratic. Ebonies are the apex of wooden cameras technology but they arent necessarily the 'best' camera. David Ward is the other big influence on the LF community through his stewardship of Light & Land and many folk have Linhof TK45s as a result, I would say a 50:50 split among the folk that I know.

Velvia 50.... the marmite film. It is unique and cant be emulated digitally. Technically you can create the curves, contrast and colour anomalies pretty close but that misses the point. You cant PS in something that is there. Under some circumstances V50 sprinkles some magic on the recorded image - as does some B & W film/developer combinations. You just cant emulate that pp. Remember Record Rapid and a light touch selenium split tone - can you emulate that digitally ? What about Platinum or some of the other alternative processes ? I happen to like the 'magic' part of V50 and enjoy being out in the landscape when it does it. I dont like it for many other things and sadly there is no alternative without other issues. It does box your creatiuvity into specific times of day, lighting and subjects and that is bad. It also becomes tiresome if you just see one V50 special after another (I feel the same about HDR and big stopper and.... ) Used well & sparingly it is stunning. For a colour landscape photographer there are now better alternatives for the other 99% of the time that V50 wasnt the right choice so those who stick with it for the 1% will leave the format unless they embrace B & W or colour neg.

On what you do with the image, it has long and universally been accepted that the best way to print from colour is via a digital intermediary. Especially from slides its the only way to tame the contrast increase of something like cibachrome. The fact that everyone scans the image and then prints is not diminishing the quality of the output or small minding the process compared to 'real' photographers. Its easy and cheap and a lot of people do it, its as discouraging to people to run it down as to say that the only cameras for LF are ebonies. Its state of the art for colour these days and you still get superior results to any digital capture (IMO).

LF photography is a broad church albeit with some 'hot spots' of interest, no one has a right to claim to be on a pedestal. Needs to be viewed that way, I for one float around as my interests change.

good stuff Dave

and from someone who is undeniably far more au fait than me into the JC current and past etc

yes, LF is and should remain 'a broad church', particularly when it's commonly accepted that there is not one Field/View Camera that appeals to everyone and yes, I too loved Bergger film

regards

andrew