Travels with camera

A place to talk about photography, the meaning of life and anything that doesn't quite fit elsewhere
Russell

Travels with camera

Post by Russell » Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:21 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Has anyone had experience of taking a camera bag on board a plane since the new restrictions came in. seems all restrictions are to do with liquids and gells or am I being naive. bag size limit is 22x18x10in I see that. :?

joolsb
Forum Hero

Re: Travels with camera

Post by joolsb » Wed Apr 04, 2007 3:21 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Russell wrote:Has anyone had experience of taking a camera bag on board a plane since the new restrictions came in. seems all restrictions are to do with liquids and gells or am I being naive. bag size limit is 22x18x10in I see that. :?
I flew last week with my Ebony in my carry-on and everything else in my LowePro inside a bigger bag, along with tripod. At security, I just treat the camera like a laptop and shove it through the X-ray machine in ints own tray. Otherwise, you'll almost invariably trigger a bag-search.

IanG
Forum Hero

Post by IanG » Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:03 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I've been travelling back and forth with my lf cameras since the restrictions with no problem, the camera and most importantly the film go in my hand luggage. I empty the darkslides as they get x-rayed and the would be film ruined. (The carry on scans are safe)

Leaving the UK is no problem but the staff at Turkish airports don't see many LF cameras so don't recognise them when scanned and sometimes ask to see them. I've usually got my Wista or a Crown Graphic so that interests them as they think no-one uses camera like that anymore.

Ian

IanG
Forum Hero

An Update

Post by IanG » Sat Apr 07, 2007 9:12 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Yesterday was the most thorough checks I've been through. There was a rigorous check at arrivals, case open show ALL the leads etc, rather a lot :-)

But then at the departure lounge it started again I was chosen for a very thorough spot check. The conventional LF equipment sailed through, film as well. the HD video and laptop though had to be shown working !!!!!! Then explain the mini-sdisc recorder, stereo mikes and so many different leads. But these inquisitors were young knowledgeable polite and above all human.

I had to sign my agreement with their finding, and had absolutely no hesitation I was chosen for a spot check, they were the most polite and still highly effective airport staff I've come across