location advice

A place to talk about photography, the meaning of life and anything that doesn't quite fit elsewhere
Paul Sanders

location advice

Post by Paul Sanders » Sun Mar 04, 2007 11:59 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

For the first time I am heading to the Lake District - I am staying near to Derwent Water - can anyone point me in the direction of one or two good places to shoot around the lake or nearby. I know it sounds daft but I don't want to be driving round all day and not shoot anything. Also my wife is coming with me so I am going to have to leave the Ebony at the hotel for some of the time while we check out the local tea rooms!

PAUL O
Founder

Post by PAUL O » Sun Mar 04, 2007 12:10 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi Paul Good to hear from you! The Lake District has a major problem - its too big with too much to photograph :lol:
We had the first LF gathering at Keswick and despite the weather being unkind the potential is enormous!
There are too many places to list here! But if you want "lakeside" scenes then try the "slipway" at Keswick - its the location for a couple of the photos on the PARTICIPANTS page on this site and has ample opportunity for shots of the pleasure boats moored with mountains behind. There are a number of bays around this lake that include a wooden-decked walkway/mooring jetty that is "typical" Lakes image - but still worthwhile if the weather/light is good. I would also suggest searching for locations via internet serach engines - see whats been done before and do it better :wink:
As for leaving the Ebony ... how dare you! An Ebony is for life and not just for Xmas! Mine likes nothing more than sitting at my feet watching me sip a lovely cuppa :lol:

Joanna Carter
Founder
Workshop Images: http://grandes-images.com/fr/Paysages/P ... _2009.html

Post by Joanna Carter » Sun Mar 04, 2007 12:34 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

PAUL O wrote:As for leaving the Ebony ... how dare you! An Ebony is for life and not just for Xmas! Mine likes nothing more than sitting at my feet watching me sip a lovely cuppa :lol:
Quite right! I have just cleaned and fed the bellows on mine. It responded by cuddling up and letting me stroke its frame for a couple of hours :wink:

Tim Myers
Forum Hero

Post by Tim Myers » Sun Mar 04, 2007 7:37 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Joanna Carter wrote:I have just cleaned and fed the bellows on mine.
Out of interest, what do you use to feed the bellows?

Joanna Carter
Founder
Workshop Images: http://grandes-images.com/fr/Paysages/P ... _2009.html

Post by Joanna Carter » Sun Mar 04, 2007 7:50 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Tim, I use the IKEA leather care product that we got for our suite. It contains a cleaner and a cream with an applicator sponge.

Ian Biggar

Post by Ian Biggar » Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:20 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

...... and you guys wonder why I use a Linhof... !!!
Ian

Apple
Forum Hero

Post by Apple » Tue Mar 06, 2007 9:49 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Ian,

We won't go into that particular perversion at the moment :shock: :wink:

As for the bellows, here's a list of treatments:
Neatsfoot oil
Connolly hide cream

For the woodwork:
Mink oil (as used by Ebony in a blend with their secret ingredient)
Mermac (Mink oil & Beeswax - available from the states for approx $17 a tub to the UK)
Teak oil
Walnut oil
Candle wax (quick & dirty method I guess)
Linseed oil

Use the above at your own risk but it's info I've gleaned from various sources.

Andrew

PS the extra humidity of the tearoom stops the wood from drying out and cracking...
Full Member of the Tearoom Appreciation Society - affiliated to UKLFPG.

Charles Twist
Founder

Post by Charles Twist » Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:08 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

PS the extra humidity of the tearoom stops the wood from drying out and cracking...
There was me thinking that you retreated to the tearoom because of the humidity outside... I find it hard to believe that the tearoom can truly have extra humidity, considering the weather on some of our workshops. But I leave that to the expert.
Charles

Apple
Forum Hero

Post by Apple » Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:41 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

...but there's a difference between humidity (non-condensing) and precipitation... :)
Full Member of the Tearoom Appreciation Society - affiliated to UKLFPG.