10x8 supports?

A place to talk about photography, the meaning of life and anything that doesn't quite fit elsewhere
Chris Wilding

10x8 supports?

Post by Chris Wilding » Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:24 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi folks

Has anybody got any advice they can give me on tripods and heads for use with a 10x8 field camera? I have an old Gitzo monster with a Rationelle head which is solid if a bit clunky and very heavy!!. I have read a few previous threads but would be interested in what people think. Is any one familiar with the GITZO GH-3780QR MAGNESIUM is this up to the job?

I don't want to spend hundreds and hundreds to cure the weight problem and I do like the idea of putting a head on a set of wooden sticks any body recommend this?

cheers

Chris

Dave Tolcher

Re: 10x8 supports?

Post by Dave Tolcher » Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:40 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi Chris, have just been through the same dilemmas myself. Depending on whether you have a flat base (like with a woodie) or a rail clamp (Sinar, Plaubel etc) influences your choices I think. Rail clamps are harder because the surface area isnt big enough to fit a quick release plate securely from what I have tried, especially on 1/4in clamp screw (even with an adapter). I used to have my whole plate gandolfi on a large arca style quick release plate and it was very secure and mounted well on one of the bigger ball heads. I now have a plaubel which is sinar style rail clamp and it has been a PITA to sort something out. Thanks to Clive Gray I have been able to try various options - Sinar p&t would undoubtedly be best as it has screw locks to stop rotation. I settled on a Gitzo 1570M in the end - they are quite good value s/h. Either way I have found it hard holding the heavy camera and trying to fix the screw into an invisible and small hole !

AbsolutelyN

Post by AbsolutelyN » Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:39 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

No longer have a 8x10 but when I did I had no problems with a Kirk BH1 and a Gitzo series 5 tripod with a heavy Toyo field camera. You did obviously have to be careful to ensure any vibrations had gone after touching it before taking pics though.

Chris Wilding

Post by Chris Wilding » Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:54 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi Dave.

Ah thats interesting. I have a Gandolfi as well I forgot to mention that it's quite a pain attaching the camera to the head, glad I'm not the only one! for this reason I'm tempted by the Gitzo GH-3780QR for the convenience of a quick release plate, just want to be sure it it will be secure enough I have tried a manfrotto 405 that I borrowed from work but this does not seem to solid and the surface area of the QR plate seems to small for the job, makes me too nervous. I will definitely look into the Sinar head though if you think it's good as it looks very sturdy.

Thanks for the advice.

Chris

Chris Wilding

Post by Chris Wilding » Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:58 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

AbsolutelyN wrote:No longer have a 8x10 but when I did I had no problems with a Kirk BH1 and a Gitzo series 5 tripod with a heavy Toyo field camera. You did obviously have to be careful to ensure any vibrations had gone after touching it before taking pics though.
Ah thanks very much tristan I'll check this out also..

timparkin
Forum Hero

Post by timparkin » Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:44 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Chris Wilding wrote:Hi folks

Has anybody got any advice they can give me on tripods and heads for use with a 10x8 field camera? I have an old Gitzo monster with a Rationelle head which is solid if a bit clunky and very heavy!!. I have read a few previous threads but would be interested in what people think. Is any one familiar with the GITZO GH-3780QR MAGNESIUM is this up to the job?

I don't want to spend hundreds and hundreds to cure the weight problem and I do like the idea of putting a head on a set of wooden sticks any body recommend this?
I've tried everything up to and including directly attaching my 10x8 Toyo to the plate of a 5 series Gitzo. I finally concluded the camera is flexing (even though it's a very solid metal camera).

I now take two tripods out with me - one a reasonably sturdy 3 series Gitzo with a BH55 head and a Velbon Sherpa CF. I've also just used a monopod and tried jamming a walking pole under the front standard and they work up to a point.

A medium weight tripod and a monopod would work a lot better than a single heavyweight tripod in my opinion.

Tim
Waiting for the developing bill - 2 hours (and it's so small now!)