7 x 5 field camera

A place to talk about photography, the meaning of life and anything that doesn't quite fit elsewhere
Tony Lovell

7 x 5 field camera

Post by Tony Lovell » Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:33 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I’m looking for a 7x5 field camera around 3kg. I’ve considered both Gandolfi and Ebony’s but the cost is very high for this format. I’ve heard good things about the new Shen Hao cameras and wonder if any members have experience of the latest range, in particular the HZ 5x7 AT.

Tony

jollyroger

Post by jollyroger » Tue Mar 06, 2007 8:53 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I have not used the 7X5 Shen-Hao but I do own a 5X4 Shen- Hao and if they are anything like it I would recommend them very highly. They well made with a full range of movements light and well priced, I think the 7X5 are around £1000. Well worth looking and they do a 10x8!!!

Roger

BarryWilkinson
Forum Hero

Post by BarryWilkinson » Tue Mar 06, 2007 9:13 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hello Tony,

Linhof & Studio had a 5x7 Shen-Hao on their stand at Focus on Imaging. It looked well made. However, as you know, that's not the same as actually using it in the field. There seems to be more UK dealers selling Shen-Hao products now. Are there any dealers around the Midlands to try one?

As a side issue. On the LF forum a short while back, people were concerned about the apparent shortage of 5x7 film holders. I don't know if this really is the case? Worth checking now that Fidelity have stopped production of all film holders.

Regards

Barry

Ole Tjugen

Post by Ole Tjugen » Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:52 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I have a Gandolfi 7x5" Traditional (yes, it's really traditional!) and a nameless german 13x18cm plate camera, and used to own two Linhof Technika III 5x7"s.

The Gandolfi is a great camera - very strong and solid, yet much lighter than the all-metal Technika. If I were to start all over again with LF, that would be my first choise. Unlike most other LF cameras I've see, handled (Shen-Hao) or fondled (Ebony), the Gandolfi doesn't feel flimsy and wobbly compared to a Technika.
Second choise, and only if I couldn't find a Gandolfi I could afford, would be some sort of Argentum. I mean - if I couldn't afford a Gandolfi, I'd go for the best compromise between price and strength I could find. And from what I've seen, Argentum can build me that camera to specifications.
Ole Tjugen

Ole Tjugen

Post by Ole Tjugen » Tue Mar 06, 2007 11:04 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

BarryWilkinson wrote:As a side issue. On the LF forum a short while back, people were concerned about the apparent shortage of 5x7 film holders. I don't know if this really is the case? Worth checking now that Fidelity have stopped production of all film holders.
also on the LF forum a short while back was a poster who was in touch with Toyo to see about making 5x7" holders now that Fidelity is out of the market. It seems that Toyo have found it economically feasible to start regular production...
Ole Tjugen

Tony Lovell

7 x 5 field camera

Post by Tony Lovell » Wed Mar 07, 2007 2:27 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Thanks for the advice, as Barry says, I could do with using one or at least having a good try out in one of the shops. I do already use 7x5 regularly, I have a couple of monorails, a Linhof Kardan Colour and a Sinar Norma with about 30 fidelity double dark slides. I had not realised they had stopped production, I’m sure I’ve bought new ones in the last 12 to 18 months?…maybe these were old stock.

I love using the big Linhof for interiors and use the Norma in the field, but its far from ideal to carry any distance….a folding field camera makes a lot more sense and I like the idea of having a 5x4 reducing back and 617 back which can be used with all the 5x7 lenses. (My current one fits the back of a 5x4 and is limited to 90 to 150mm lenses due to its construction).

Tony

George S

Post by George S » Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:17 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Tony,

saw this on the auction site today...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Full-set-Rittreck-v ... dZViewItem

not sure if you are interested but I'd say it is a bargain. Don't know if it is as light as 3kg's but it is hardly too much heavier than that and is metal.

BarryWilkinson
Forum Hero

Post by BarryWilkinson » Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:58 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Ole Tjugen wrote:
BarryWilkinson wrote:As a side issue. On the LF forum a short while back, people were concerned about the apparent shortage of 5x7 film holders. I don't know if this really is the case? Worth checking now that Fidelity have stopped production of all film holders.
also on the LF forum a short while back was a poster who was in touch with Toyo to see about making 5x7" holders now that Fidelity is out of the market. It seems that Toyo have found it economically feasible to start regular production...
The man from Fotoman has just posted a marketing question on the LF Forum. They are considering manufacturing 5x7 holders and other sizes.

Barry

Tony Lovell

7 x 5 field camera

Post by Tony Lovell » Thu Mar 08, 2007 7:38 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

An interesting camera George...I've asked the weight, it's not what I had in mind but it might be ideal for traveling. It was apparently made by Wista

Regards
Tony

Tony Lovell

Post by Tony Lovell » Sat Jul 28, 2007 12:46 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

After a lot of deliberation I decided to take the plunge and look at a Shen Hao 7x5 field camera. I rang Robert Whites and arranged to go down and try out the FCL57A.

The specification suggested the minimum bellows extension was 90mm, but I was hoping my 72XL on a sunken panel would fit and focus at infinity. I was not keen to buy a 7x5 camera and not be in a position to use the widest lens for this format.

I went over on Thursday, the following are reasons I did not go ahead with the purchase, which may be of use, or at least considerations for anyone thinking of buying this camera.

· The 72XL will fit and focus at infinity but the front of the camera fills the bottom of the frame (top on the ground glass) and is always visible in the shot even with the maximum front rise. It would be ok if you were just shooting 617 but not 7x5 format. With a 90mm lens the front of the camera is not visible until you focus just past infinity, so 90mm is the widest useable lens on 7x5 format.
· With wide angle lenses, with the camera back moved as far forward as possible, the lens board is physically moved back and screwed in to a position closer to the back, but in this position there is nothing to align the front of the camera or to centre it, it needs at least a line on the baseboard and a centre line or point to help position it. This applies to all the intermediate front panel positions for lenses less than about 300mm. (the system is similar to that used on Philips cameras, as is the helical focusing arrangement) I was not keen on the need to unscrew and move the front panel when changing lenses.
· On the camera I looked at there was a gap in the felt around the seal to the double dark slide
· On the front panel, both swing and shift are locked and positioned with one central screw and clamping nut, this is common for a field camera, but the front moves in all directions when it is loosened.
· The camera has plenty of bellows length for longer lenses but my 450mm Nikor on a No. 3 shutter would not fit on the standard Linhof Technica front panel, due to the slope on the bottom lens board-retaining rail. To use lenses with No.3 panels they would need to be mounted with a spacer to bring the shutter forward of the board.

I bought a 7x5 wooden Canham camera…after a thorough trial of course.

Tony