Reports of my death have been greatly exaggerated

A place to talk about photography, the meaning of life and anything that doesn't quite fit elsewhere
timparkin
Forum Hero

Reports of my death have been greatly exaggerated

Post by timparkin » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:55 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Waiting for the developing bill - 2 hours (and it's so small now!)

dave_whatever
Forum Hero

Re: Reports of my death have been greatly exaggerated

Post by dave_whatever » Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:44 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

That's encouraging, where did you unearth that from Tim?

Are we then to assume that the alleged discontinuation story was some kind of "cockup on the communication front" by the UK distributor?

timparkin
Forum Hero

Post by timparkin » Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:26 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I've posted a little more here.

http://www.onlandscape.co.uk/news/repor ... aggerated/

I think they've just decided to stop exporting it - I imagine this will be home market only but who knows... At least it will be available - albeit at a much larger price..

Dave Tolcher

Post by Dave Tolcher » Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:32 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

What excellent news.

Charles Twist
Founder

Post by Charles Twist » Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:23 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Sort of brings the price in line with Kodak neg film then, but still good to know. What about Velvia 100F which is neither in the discontinued nor in the re-packaged list?
Charles

Paul Arthur
Forum Hero

Post by Paul Arthur » Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:20 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Well that is something of a surprise....

Predictably though, I don't care one jot as I have enough to last me a very long time.

idiots.

Trail Images

Post by Trail Images » Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:41 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hey Tim, thanks for these updates. I guess all we can do is wait and see. I was in communication with Stef Dunn down in Australia up to about a month or so back on the LF V-50 issue. He had actually sent the Velvia 50 on-line signed petition to the Fuji Film president in Japan along with a letter requesting a review of the discontinuation of the transparency film at that time. He did actually get a letter back stating they were very sorry about the product being dropped and they planned to review the situation again at that time for possible options.

I truly wonder if they understand each time they throw things into a tail spin that customers do seek other avenues. I would think the stock piling of product we all do when these events happen has got to skew the demand levels off the chart. It also becomes more of an issue for them to understand the true demand levels annually. In some cases the vendors quit stocking and updating their on -line product listings. If Vevlia 50 is out there it is not listed any place on-line here in the USA. Both B&H and Badger took it off their listings. Typically it was always just shown out of stock in the past.

Well here is one long time V-50 shooter hoping for the best. :D

timparkin
Forum Hero

Post by timparkin » Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:42 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Trail Images wrote:Hey Tim, thanks for these updates. I guess all we can do is wait and see. I was in communication with Stef Dunn down in Australia up to about a month or so back on the LF V-50 issue. He had actually sent the Velvia 50 on-line signed petition to the Fuji Film president in Japan along with a letter requesting a review of the discontinuation of the transparency film at that time. He did actually get a letter back stating they were very sorry about the product being dropped and they planned to review the situation again at that time for possible options.

I truly wonder if they understand each time they throw things into a tail spin that customers do seek other avenues. I would think the stock piling of product we all do when these events happen has got to skew the demand levels off the chart. It also becomes more of an issue for them to understand the true demand levels annually. In some cases the vendors quit stocking and updating their on -line product listings. If Vevlia 50 is out there it is not listed any place on-line here in the USA. Both B&H and Badger took it off their listings. Typically it was always just shown out of stock in the past.

Well here is one long time V-50 shooter hoping for the best. :D
Well I've stocked up so much that I can't see me buying any new for a long time. Next on the list is back to Kodak Portra and possibly a big of 5x4 E100G (just bought 100 sheets of 10x8 E100G - should do for a bit).

The main good news is that Fuji are still planning on keeping E6 around for a while - there were rumours of them killing it off.

Tim

Martin Jan Köhler
Forum Hero

Post by Martin Jan Köhler » Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:51 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi,

BTW, the new RVP50 version is already listed at a Japanese Camera Store, Yodobashi ( http://www.yodobashi.com )
and seems to become available in May ... confirming the shipping in April from the FujiFilm announcement ...

Hope there will become available a cheaper way to obtain the film within the EU, though.

Best regards,
Martin

Trail Images

Post by Trail Images » Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:31 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Any updates to the contrary would be welcome news on this subject. After contacting a couple large vendors here in the USA I was told the lynchpin was with Fuji USA not importing the V-50 4x5. However, after contacting Fuji USA today I received a response that stated; yes it was discontinued and no new plans to produce the product in sheet film any longer.
So, as always with this product it's hard to get correct answers. Some previous updates indicated a reintroduction on store shelves sometime in May. Anyone hearing anything new at all in EU or UK.... :?:

Rob Cole

Post by Rob Cole » Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:28 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Trail Images

Post by Trail Images » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:20 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Thank you for this updated link, Rob.

Rob Cole

Post by Rob Cole » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:27 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

With all the money printing in Japan which will tend to devalue the Yen hopefully we'll see a price drop in terms of £, € and $ currencies.