Extreme Flattery

A place to talk about photography, the meaning of life and anything that doesn't quite fit elsewhere
vanman
Forum Hero

Extreme Flattery

Post by vanman » Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:05 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

It appears that some time poster on this forum, Sal Santamaura, keeps a database on that well known and much admired American photographer and poster on The LF Forum Frank Petronio. Do you think that he's doing the same to anybody here?
Vanman.

Sal Santamaura

Re: Extreme Flattery

Post by Sal Santamaura » Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:53 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

vanman wrote:It appears that some time poster on this forum, Sal Santamaura, keeps a database on that well known and much admired American photographer and poster on The LF Forum Frank Petronio. Do you think that he's doing the same to anybody here?
Vanman.
Pete, I don't keep a database on Frank's nonsense. The Large Format Forum is a database. Anyone with skill using a search engine can find the crap he's written very easily. That's how I know how to find your stuff too. In neither case is doing so flattery.

It's important to understand that protectiveness of the community is the only reason why I called out Frank whenever he promulgated nonsense. It's also why I call you out when you trash Ilford, black and white photographers' best material source going forward.

Here's what Frank posted in 2010:
...I admit to lying, bullshit, and exaggeration. Guilty as charged...
To reiterate what I replied to Frank in 2010 and just repeated in the Large Format Forum thread:
I hope anyone new to LF and this forum who searches for information...bears that in mind when evaluating your opinions...
It apparently applies to Frank and you both.

vanman
Forum Hero

Post by vanman » Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:20 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Dear Mr. /Mrs or Ms Santamaura (the gender thing has never been made clear). Mr. Petronio has always been generous with advice and in my case it has always been good and valid advice. I understand that you are also keeping a database on Ian Grant as well as myself and Mr. Petronio. Have you considered "getting a life" and taking your camera out (if you have a LF camera) and using it. You would probably find this far more constructive that acting like a second rate C.I.A agent from the Mc Carthy era.
Who's Pete?
Vanman.

Charles Twist
Founder

Post by Charles Twist » Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:34 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Thanks Vanman for your opinion. I think that Sal's answered you effectively. This forum and most others are trivial to mine for data. By posting on them, you and anyone else take the decision to make your statements open to public search. Can't do anything about it.
If you decide to inflame this situation, I'll lock the thread. It's just best all round - I realise you might not like it and you might see it as an attack on your freedom of speech. If you have anything constructive to say, then fire away or PM me.
Best regards,
Charles

vanman
Forum Hero

Post by vanman » Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:44 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi Charles,
I respect you position as a moderator. Let's hope that everybody else does as well.
Vanman.

Andrew Plume
Forum Hero

Post by Andrew Plume » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:27 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Vanman, Sal, Hi

I now see that Frank P is banned from the LFPF, that's in addition to all of the other Forums, where he was previously banned from

Frank is, err...............something comparable to ones opinion on Las Vegas, you love it or you *at* it

still if anyone on here is previously unaware of Mr P, here's a link to one of his (featured) sites:-

http://frankpetroniophotographer.tumblr.com/

not "your usual images that turn up on here".........................................................................

best

andrew

Dave Tolcher

Post by Dave Tolcher » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:45 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I must be getting old but this thread is lost on me ! :roll: Before the days of internet when it was magazines, articles etc I used to cut out and keep folders of stuff 'on' people I was interested in, who's work I followed. DB is just a modern equivalent surely or am I missing an undertone ?

Frank's work is kind of interesting. Thks for posting a link.

vanman
Forum Hero

Post by vanman » Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:39 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Frank also published a book on Blurb, I was that impressed that I bought it. Friends who have seen it are amazed that it's all LF. He really knows how to get the best out of those US press cameras.
Vanman.

Sal Santamaura

Post by Sal Santamaura » Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:58 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Andrew Plume wrote:...I now see that Frank P is banned from the LFPF, that's in addition to all of the other Forums, where he was previously banned from

Frank is, err...............something comparable to ones opinion on Las Vegas, you love it or you *at* it...
Andrew, Frank wasn't banned from the US Large Format Forum because anyone, me included, loved or hated him. He was banned for repeatedly, flagrantly violating the rule against political postings, with multiple moderator warnings and many "second" chances over a period of years.

My calling him out for the things he admitted to (see above) had nothing to do with his photographic work. It may be the best of its genre. I have no interest whatsoever in affecting others' opinions or the commercial success of Frank's photographic work. However, the deleterious effect on forum communities that some of his posts can have prompted my actions. I had no desire to involve your forum, but was dragged into this thread.

Charles Twist
Founder

Post by Charles Twist » Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:19 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Very commendably, Andrew did not blame you (Sal) for any wrong-doings. You're clearly used to taking flak, but that's not the case here.
Best regards,
Charles