Fuji Quickload Holder Problem

A place to talk about photography, the meaning of life and anything that doesn't quite fit elsewhere
chipper

Fuji Quickload Holder Problem

Post by chipper » Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:04 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Just wondering if there's any experts here who can help me with any tips on fixing the above. My holder has been working with no problems, but last night, I inserted the film, pulled it out in order to take the shot, but instead of stopping at the usual mark, the sleeve came all the way out, leaving the metal clip still in the holder. I stood there for a few minutes (watching the Sun dissapear below the horizon) and didn't swear once. Well maybe just one slightly naughty word!. I dissasembled it when I got home, retrieved the metal clip, and reassembled it having found no obvious problem. I've tried 3 sheets through it, but still have the same problem of the sleeve not wanting to click to a stop when you partially pull it out prior to taking the shot. Any help would be appreciated, or if anyone has a spare holder they wish to sell, please let me know. Stu.

Joanna Carter
Founder
Workshop Images: http://grandes-images.com/fr/Paysages/P ... _2009.html

Post by Joanna Carter » Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:17 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi Stuart

Do you mean that the film was still attached to the clip, or that you had managed to pull the film out with the sleeve ? If the former, then either the white strip was missing from the sleeve or the top spring clip didn't catch the white strip. If the latter, then it means that the clip wasn't held firmly enough to the bottom of the film or that you gripped the sleeve top too firmly.

There are two spring plates in the Quickload holder: one at the bottom and another near the top that catches the white strip stuck on the outside of the sleeve. If it were just the sleeve that pulled right out, leaving the film in the holder, then I would suspect that the one at the top has either got jammed or has slipped out of place.

I will see if I can take a look at one of ours and post a shot of what it should look like correctly assembled.

AFAIK, Fuji have officially stopped making the Quickload holder :roll: so unless someone has a spare one hidden away somewhere, repair might be the only option.
Reassure yourself - stroke an Ebony

chipper

Post by chipper » Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:29 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi Joanna

The outer sleeve pulled away completely, leaving the clip and film still in the holder. I'm wondering if it is still usable like this, whereby I would just have to pull the sleeve out and stop it at the mark myself, as opposed to pulling it until it stops automatically. I suppose the only solution would be to try a sheet of film and send it away for processing. A diagram would be great if you could do that.

Stu

Tim Myers
Forum Hero

Post by Tim Myers » Tue Apr 10, 2007 1:59 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi Stu,

This happens if you put the film in the holder the wrong way round, i.e. with the lens side facing the back of the camera. I was convinced I had a bad batch of film / knackered holder at one point because every other sheet I put in came right out - but I now reckon that it was just a wetware issue.

I found that to get the clip out you don't have to take the back to pieces, you can simply insert the envelope back in to the holder and it will re-engage with the clip.

chipper

Post by chipper » Tue Apr 10, 2007 2:08 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Thanks Tim

Yep, I discovered that too... afterwards. My problem now is that the sleeve won't stop at the mark that its supposed to prior to taking the shot. I was wondering if this really matters if I manually pull it as far as the mark, take the shot and then push the sleeve back into the holder and then release it as normal. Looking inside the holder, I just can't figure out why the sleeve won't stop as it did before (pre shot).

Tim Myers
Forum Hero

Post by Tim Myers » Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:55 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

AFAIK, Fuji have officially stopped making the Quickload holder so unless someone has a spare one hidden away somewhere, repair might be the only option.
That's actually incorrect - I've checked with Fuji UK and Robert White. Fuji have discontinued the Mk. I holder (actually happened some time ago) and stopped continuous manufacture of the Quickload Mk. II holder.They only make the Mk. II holder now in batches throughout the year. For some reason, Fuji UK no longer carry them, but Robert White are importing them directly from Japan (in exactly the same way as they do with Acros) and forsee no supply issues with them.
I was wondering if this really matters if I manually pull it as far as the mark, take the shot and then push the sleeve back into the holder and then release it as normal.
The envelope actually passes through a light-tight fitting in the top 'collar' of the holder, in this is the mechanism which catches the cardboard tab. If the light-tightness hasn't been comprimised I'd have thought you would be OK, if the light tightness has been comprimised in some way, you may get fogging... I think the only way to say for certain is to expose a sheet in this way and send it for porcessing.