Iris blades for Schneider 75mm f/8

A place to talk about photography, the meaning of life and anything that doesn't quite fit elsewhere
Charles Twist
Founder

Iris blades for Schneider 75mm f/8

Post by Charles Twist » Fri Apr 20, 2007 5:53 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hello All,
My Schneider 75mm f/8 is now out of action due to a damaged shutter. I am reliably informed that three blades which form part of the iris need replacing. Does anybody have a clue where to source such blades or alternatively know where there might be a spare shutter, for instance fitted to a scratched lens? The shutter I have, if it is of the same age as the lens, dates to 1969. Thanks for your help.
As an aside, I note with sadness the demise of local camera/ shutter repairers. The one I used to go to in Chester-le-Street, has closed down, citing the increasing number of irrepairable digital cameras that keep coming in, combined with the fact that the spares for said cameras cost more than the cameras themselves. Not to mention the large number of new cameras with bone-dry, lead-free, brittle soldering. The shop I now go to, tells me they are losing 1.5 days a week to modern cameras. It won't be long before repairing good, ol'-fashioned lenses will be done by enthusiasts working out of their garden shed. Also it seems that sourcing items such as iris blades is not trivial, and so I foresee (i) a growing number of irrepairable shutters and (ii) the soaring price of parts. Part of the problem is knowing where to store all these parts considering that a lot only gets used once in a blue moon. I sincerely hope other parts of the country are not experiencing the same difficulties.
Thanks,
Charles

Joanna Carter
Founder
Workshop Images: http://grandes-images.com/fr/Paysages/P ... _2009.html

Post by Joanna Carter » Fri Apr 20, 2007 7:05 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Teamwork are doing Copal 0 shutters for only £120 plus vat; assuming your old shutter is also a Copal, all you should need to do is to transfer the aperture scale, isn't it ? And it might be cheaper in the long run than trying to find a repairer and the parts.
Reassure yourself - stroke an Ebony

SteveH
Forum Hero

Post by SteveH » Fri Apr 20, 2007 8:56 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Charles,

Black on White (John Quantick) in Bristol may be able to help. He resurrected a 00 shutter for me that had disintegrated internally - took 6 weeks but only cost £45.

http://www.bonwcameras.co.uk/

Steve
Big is beautiful.

Charles Twist
Founder

Post by Charles Twist » Wed May 02, 2007 5:42 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

B on W carried out the repair almost as soon as they got the broken shutter. Very fast, very proficient, on the ball, and this 40-year old shutter sounds like new.
Recommended.
Charles

IanG
Forum Hero

Another endorsement for Black on White

Post by IanG » Thu May 17, 2007 2:34 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

On the basis of SteveH and Charles Twist's post here I sent my 165mm Super Angulon to Black on White as the shutter was sticking.

I posted it Monday, 2 days later (Wednesday) I got a call at mid-day to say it had been stripped down cleaned, reassembled, it arrived back today (Thursday) and is now working perfectly.

That really is excellent service.

Ian