neg film latitude

A place to talk about photography, the meaning of life and anything that doesn't quite fit elsewhere
gari
Forum Hero

neg film latitude

Post by gari » Sat Apr 21, 2007 7:24 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I am thinking of trying color neg film in my pano camera with a view to maybe using at 5x4.
I am looking for an increase in latitude in addition to liking the more subtle rendition of color etc in work such as Andrew Nosolski's

Any one using Portra or Pro-s etc? what sort of latitude will these films give me? I have tried Astia and while it is wider than RDP/RVP I still find that I sometimes have to lose shadow details if I want to hold in the H/Ls as the pano which can't use Grads.

Thanks in advance

Gari
you don't need eyes to see, you need vision!

Matt_Bigwood
Forum Hero

Post by Matt_Bigwood » Sun Apr 22, 2007 7:50 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi Gari

I've shot Pro-S 5x4, and the same holds true for this as does most colour neg films - overexposure is always preferable to underexposure. I've just scanned some Fuji Superia colour neg 120 film, shot as 6x9 on a roll film back on my MPP, and whilst the slightly thin negs were acceptable, the properly exposed negs scanned much better on my Epson 4990, as did the slightly over exposed negs - the colours and contrast are much better.

I find colour neg scans better than tranny, maybe because of the lower contrast, and maybe because of the scanner technology.

Matt