Location for workshop outside the UK?

A place to talk about photography, the meaning of life and anything that doesn't quite fit elsewhere
PAUL O
Founder

Location for workshop outside the UK?

Post by PAUL O » Sat Jun 02, 2007 11:22 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

As things seem a bit quiet on the forum at the moment - probably due to the kind weather meaning little excuse not to be out and about :lol: I wondered whether there would be any interest in holding a workshop outside of the UK? To this end does anyone have any locations that they have always wanted to visit (within reason Charles :wink: ) that might prove a suitable area/country for a (small) group of us to visit?
I'm off to Iceland in a few weeks time, following in the footsteps of Charles et al (2006) and this location has obvious potential but probably MAJOR logistical issues/cost implications in organising a group visit ?? Who knows? Anyway, any other suitable locations for (say) middle/late 2008? Regards paul

Charles Twist
Founder

Post by Charles Twist » Sat Jun 02, 2007 12:20 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Iceland is a great place but very hard on the logistics, as you say.
The UK is connected to all manners of country, with plenty of good scenery, so no reason not to give it a go. There's George S in Ireland who has invited us over already. I can vouch that the Burren is a great location for photography and George is extremely helpful and friendly. Ireland is not so far and ferry-able, plus they speak English and have excellent food. Plus there are loads of B&Bs and hostels around Doolin/ Kilfenora.
On another note, one of the things I am aware of, is the existence of LF groups outside of the UK. There's one in Norway I believe (Ole?) and there's one in France that deals with MF + LF, see http://www.galerie-photo.com/ . I am sure other countries have their own versions (Germany, Marc?). I am thinking it might be a productive exercise to actually try and encourage meetings between these various groups. The big problem is that all these groups are run by volunteers with little spare time (all those who have sent pictures to the webmaster, please be patient a little longer). But where there is a will, there is a way. And I am sure mags like MagnaChrom will be happy to help out.
I and Joanna are happy to deal with the French. Maybe a meet-up in the NE of France in Nov2008 to mark the 90th anniversary of the end of WW1?? It's the kind of intellectual exercise that would appeal to our Gallic brothers and sisters, while I am sure there is plenty of human and natural interest for us folk (the weather will more than likely be grey enough that we won't be disorientated). There are companies who organise battlefield tours tailored to the needs of specific groups, even if they are not cheap.
That's my tuppence worth. What do you think?
Charles

IanG
Forum Hero

Greek workshop

Post by IanG » Sat Jun 02, 2007 12:26 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

There's a workshop being organised in Greece in September, the location and exact date is yet to be finalised.

While it won't specifically be a large format workshop in practice virtually all those attending shoot lf.

Once the arrangements are finalised I'll post the details.

Ian

Apple
Forum Hero

Post by Apple » Sat Jun 02, 2007 6:19 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

When you mentioned workshops outside the UK I thought that it would give a listing / adverts in the back of View Camera - there's nothing this month :( but I seem to remember the name Tillman Crane as he's lead trips to Ireland, Scotland etc

It isn't a plug to go on his workshops but looking at his site, it lists a few other possibilities depending upon what you class as outside the UK (some of us think the ends of the earth are at the Yorkshire border but that's another tale... :wink: )

A few of his trips plus others have mentioned Skye, Orkney, Ireland - I know there's some severely deep tripod holes developing around Callanish that only Charles could climb out of but there must be other stuff on the islands etc. Accommodation could be a bit sparse but pick the correct time of the year and you'll have light all day and "night."

Ireland can be a tad damp but us LF'ers are used to it (from looking out through the tearoom window waiting for it to stop :roll: )

Andrew
Full Member of the Tearoom Appreciation Society - affiliated to UKLFPG.

Lynne Evans
Forum Hero

Post by Lynne Evans » Sun Jun 03, 2007 1:06 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I can vouch for the Outer Hebrides and Scottish islands in general - there is much much more than Callanish! Barra and the Uists have hardly been touched by high profile photographers and they are absolutely beautiful in a wild and untouched sort of way. Camping there is great and a there are a couple of biggish hotels that could accommodate a reasonable sized group.

I'd love to go to Ireland too. And for proper foreign I'd head north to the Lofoten Islands (L&L ran a workshop there last year, but could I afford it? No! Would I have paid their prices anyway? Absolutely not!)

gari
Forum Hero

Post by gari » Sun Jun 03, 2007 7:39 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I am planning a trip to Norway in Sept/Oct for maybe 14 days, I would be more than happy to have some comp`ny for all or some of the trip.
I will be in the Setesdal Valley, Starting in Kristiansand and heading North toward Hovden about 300km up the valley. I shall be camping, staying in some hostels and hiking into the hills using the DNT hut system.

I worked and lived in the valley for a number of years so know it quite well, though I have only been one one photo trip since moving back to the UK I have a good memory for locations visited with photo potential.

My Norwegian is very rusty these days but I am sure I could soon relearn to hold my own(please feel free to insert appropriate cheap joke!).

I will be going with a car, I flew last time but by the time I had costed transfers, buss fares incountry etc there wasn't a great deal in it. If there is more than one person in a car it becomes far cheaper, plus you have the freedom of your own wheels.

Its possible for a group to go and stay in maybe 2 places and individuals can come and go around this base as desired.
Ole can confirm that a cabin for several people can be very cost effective accom with complete freedom to cater as a group or ind etc and come and go as we please without mealtimes etc to be home for.

Best of all, most cabins have saunas and many hot tubs, outside even!!!
some post picture makin' meeting that could be.

Gari
you don't need eyes to see, you need vision!

Ole Tjugen

Post by Ole Tjugen » Sun Jun 03, 2007 11:34 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I organised the 2005 Gathering in Loen, Norway - http://www.bruraholo.no/treff2005.html ...

We called it a "gathering" instead of a "workshop2, since I had no fixed program. I spent a lot of time praying for nice weather instead, although I had a backup plan if it turned out TOO grotty. :)

There are lots of other places in Norway that would be nice, Loen is about as far from everything as it's possible to get and equidistant between the three major airports.

Bergen would be easy for me to arrange. The village where I live is technically in Bergen, but in other ways very different. in case of rain we also have a museum for the Norwegian textile industry here, with good light and lots of weird victorian machinery. :)

There's a very active LF community in Germany too, you can find them on www.grossformatfotografie.de (try writing that when you're drunk, and you might forgive me any spelling mistakes even if I'm only on my second glass of wine).
Ole Tjugen

masch
Founder

Post by masch » Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:25 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Charles Twist wrote:I am sure other countries have their own versions (Germany, Marc?).
Sorry, I moved to the UK in 93. Well before I knew what a LF camera is, so I have no idea what's ging on in Germany....
As a location it is quite nice, but cars are an absolute must. France is pretty much the same. Come to think of it, so is the UK.
Seriously, I think it would be a good idea. Maybe together with a foreign group of LF people? Sort of an "international gathering?

Marc
Real Photographers use METAL cameras.....
...and break their backs in the process... :)
http://homepage.mac.com/mjjs/Photography/

Charles Twist
Founder

Post by Charles Twist » Sat Jun 30, 2007 9:29 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hello Marc,
I thought you might have been curious as to what was going on "back home", just as I am always curious to know what the Frogs are up to. Maybe we could employ your language skills, should we decide to launch an international gathering. Jo and I are keen on the idea; I presume Paul O will give his support; but there seems to be little general enthusiasm to organise one (although there does seem to be some interest in going further afield). It might happen with just a couple of us taking part in a foreign gathering. If anybody has any wish to join in, please speak up now.
Charles

alangolding

Post by alangolding » Sat Jun 30, 2007 6:56 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Although I cannot aspire to the same level as Marc I did live 11 years in southern Germany and conversational German used to be faily good. I would also be interested in a trip in that direction. I also have some knowledge of Switzerland and northern Italy. I think a small group trip in that direction would be a good idea and I would be happy to help with the organisation.

Alan

alangolding

Post by alangolding » Sun Jul 01, 2007 2:38 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Further thoughts! I have three possible areas in mind. The first is Munstertal in Black Forest near Freiburg, the second is the Verwaldstattersee, Luzern, Switzerland and the furtherst is the Alto Garda National Park, Lake Garda, Italy. All these areas have in my mind a good petential. Anyone have any thoughts?

Alan Golding

BarryWilkinson
Forum Hero

Post by BarryWilkinson » Mon Jul 02, 2007 5:24 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I would be interested, assuming I could get away at the selected time.

For information: I am hoping to visit the French Jura region in September with my wife for a week or so. It is near the Swiss border and I'm told, very picturesque. Just about with a day's driving distance for me. I'll report back if anyone's interested?

Barry