Opening .dng files in PS

A place to talk about photography, the meaning of life and anything that doesn't quite fit elsewhere
Tom Perkins

Opening .dng files in PS

Post by Tom Perkins » Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:47 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi, I recently discovered Vuescan which I am now using with my v700 to scan my 5x4, at 2400dpi.
In Vuescan you can save scans as .dng files (which means I can put them through camera raw when I open them in PS and adjust WB etc.).
First time I tried this it worked fine, and I thought ok, I'll have a go properly tomorrow, so I didn't save. Next time it doesn't even try to open it and I get:

"could not complete your request because there is not enough memory (RAM)"

I can still open all other files (PSDs etc).
I have 2gb of ram, about 20gb free on my hd and I'm on XP.
Any ideas whats going on?

Thanks,
Tom.

Joanna Carter
Founder
Workshop Images: http://grandes-images.com/fr/Paysages/P ... _2009.html

Post by Joanna Carter » Wed Jun 06, 2007 3:21 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Tom, 20GB is nowhere near enough free disk space for Windows, let alone any programs :cry:
Reassure yourself - stroke an Ebony

Tom Perkins

Post by Tom Perkins » Wed Jun 06, 2007 7:37 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Do you think thats whats causing this problem? I recently got a new 500GB drive which I will be changing over to at the weekend, which will give me 320Gb free.

Joanna Carter
Founder

Post by Joanna Carter » Thu Jun 07, 2007 12:19 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Windows uses disk space as virtual memory and Photoshop uses disk space for scratch disks. It has been said that Photoshop can require 5 times the file size to manage your image in memory and it doesn't take much to run out of memory and have to use the disk.

You could be doing yourself a favour if you add the new disk rather then changing to it; and tell Windows to use it for virtual memory and Photoshop to use it for scratch disks. Then you need to move some stuff off the orignal disk so that you leave only programs on that drive and have files on the new one.

On a Windows machine I would typically set up the following partitions :

C: Windows - 16GB
D: Programs - 32GB
E: Files - Anything you've got left
F: Temporary Files 32GB
G: Scratch Files - As much as you can spare, preferably a separate physical disk
....etc

Charles Twist
Founder

Post by Charles Twist » Thu Jun 07, 2007 6:33 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Have we really moved forward in the last 10 years? This is a definite flame-bait, but looking at things head-on it strikes me that Win98 worked fine for me (just as well as XP is), and I still use Photoshop 5. A recent demo of CS2 has shown the odd tweak, a few improvements and the great speck-buster, but overall I am surprised just how much P5 offered. The main improvements have been processor speed and memory capacity, ie hardware, which are more than welcome for dealing with large files.
I am just left feeling there is a lot of hype. It's more a comment from me, but if you wish to answer, I'll be happy to read your views.
Charles

Tom Perkins

Post by Tom Perkins » Sat Jun 09, 2007 12:00 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Thanks for all the replies, I will try switching drives first, cause the new one is a lot quieter than what I have at the moment, but I might try leaving the other one in as well if I'm still not getting very good performance.

Joanna Carter
Founder

Post by Joanna Carter » Sat Jun 09, 2007 3:24 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Tom, unless you either have something like DiskImage which will transfer the whole partition in one go, or you really don't mind installng everything from scratch, may I respectfully suggest that adding the second disk and moving just your files, not programs, from the old one will be a lot less hassle and will give you better results, especially if you create more than one partition on the new drive.

Ensuring that your temporary files, virtual memory file and PS scratch disks are on a separate disk from the programs will give you much better performance.

Apart from the noisiness of the old drive, why do you feel you need to move the entire shooting match rather than simply adding a second drive ?