Which Tripod?

A place to talk about photography, the meaning of life and anything that doesn't quite fit elsewhere
Joanna Carter
Founder
Workshop Images: http://grandes-images.com/fr/Paysages/P ... _2009.html

Post by Joanna Carter » Fri Jun 15, 2007 12:07 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Keith, I have no doubt that you will find that combination to be very successful :D
Reassure yourself - stroke an Ebony

chipper

Post by chipper » Mon Jun 18, 2007 2:45 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Neither have I. Since when has the Manfrotto O55 Pro been an "entrance level tripod"?

Joanna Carter
Founder
Workshop Images: http://grandes-images.com/fr/Paysages/P ... _2009.html

Post by Joanna Carter » Mon Jun 18, 2007 3:27 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

chipper wrote:... Since when has the Manfrotto O55 Pro been an "entrance level tripod"?
Since you can adjust the levels to ensure that the entrance to a building is square in the shot :?: :oops:
Reassure yourself - stroke an Ebony

Keith Tapscott
Forum Hero

Post by Keith Tapscott » Mon Jun 18, 2007 5:48 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

The Manfrotto 055 Pro & 410 head arrived this morning and is much lighter than my Triaut 058 with 229 head. This will be my regular tripod for outdoor work while the 058 with Auto-dolly 181 will remain my studio tripod.
Thanks again. :D

Charles Twist
Founder

Post by Charles Twist » Mon Jun 18, 2007 6:45 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I had a look at some online pics of the Manfrotto 055 and it does look remarkably similar to the Calumet. Assuming it is, you might like to look at the screws on a regular basis. The ones on mine corroded quite quickly as I tend to shoot along the coast a lot and I don't mind a spot of bog juice either. There are three screws per clamp. The upper one attaches the clamp to the upper section of the leg. If it goes loose, the bottom section will fall off - can be embarrassing, I tell you... If it rusts, it could be hard to tighten, so it may be worth replacing with brass or the like. The two bottom ones form the axis about which the clip swivels. Rust is less an issue here, but I have found the amount of tension to be quite critical: too little or too much and it is a devil to open/close. What I don't understand, and I am inviting hypotheses, is why this element should seize after exposure to sea air of the very damp variety. The clip just serves to bring two plastic brakes into contact with the lower leg section. It can't be a matter of corrosion; the salt or something stops the clip from sliding past the plastic. WD40 and a good clean is the answer but it's not ideal. Any offers?
Also if you go for the spike + rubber feet suggested by Andrew: again if they are the same as on the Calumet, the spike will rust and the ball which holds the rubber foot, will cease to travel vertically. It just collects dampness being where it is, and the only solution is to take it off and dry it thoroughly regularly - again far from ideal when you spend two weeks in the field.
Other than that, it does a sturdy job. I hope you like it.
Charles
PS: Joanna wrote
Since you can adjust the levels to ensure that the entrance to a building is square in the shot
Is that with or without front rise?

Apple
Forum Hero

Post by Apple » Mon Jun 18, 2007 8:40 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I'll admit that I don't take part in the sport of "Extreme Tripoding" :shock: as does Charles so am not likely to encounter some of the environments he sees...

For keeping the fasteners in working order I've either given them a quick blast with WD40 then 3-in-1 oil etc. If I've been anywhere gritty / salty I'll let the muck dry in the spike threads and then run the rubber feet up and down a few times to clean the out thickest, following up with the WD40 / oil as above.

Charles, if you want to protect a bit more against the elements and are feeling flush :wink:, you could replace the nuts and bolts with A6 grade stainless (that's 316/316L stainless and is used for marine applications...) You caould always use some anti-seize compound when re-assembling.

As you say, the tension is critical on the clamps. This indicates that small changes in clamp pressure can have big effects and hence the tolerances involved are small (think of limits and fits tables for shafts in holes and you're talking microns). You might be slowly building up a layer of salt on the surfaces as you get them wet and dry off back home over many cycles. OK, so it doesn't look white as there's not that amount present but a few grains of windblown sand could get in as well and you haven't got the clamp load you thought you had. Just a few thoughts if you're hypothesising...

Not wanting to teach anyone's grandmother to suck eggs etc but if you want to tighten up the leg clamps on the 055, it's better to put a slight nip on the nut etc with the clamp closed and then open/close a couple of times to "reseat" and check the tightness. You can judge the tension a bit easier that way. If you think it's easier with the clamp open, just try in and be careful you don't strip the bolt threads with the mechanical advantage you have in the lever arm... :wink:

Andrew
Full Member of the Tearoom Appreciation Society - affiliated to UKLFPG.

Thingy
Forum Hero

Post by Thingy » Tue May 19, 2009 3:43 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I have just ordered a new, lighter (& slightly shorter) Gitzo from RW after lugging my very robust GT3531 around at the Maldon Workshop last month. The tripod combined with my existing LowePro Trekker Pro II rucksack (which holds a lot of kit but empty weights in at over 5kg :shock: ) and 45SU was a bit too heavy for me at the moment..... so I'm using my older LowePro Nature rucksack and will use the smaller and lighter GT2541 which is some 800g lighter at 1.4kg, for everyday, non-windy, situations.

Does anyone know if Sherpas are available for hire in the UK (perhaps the UKLFPG are sponsored by the British Union of Sherpas)? :lol:
Love is an Ebony mounted with a Cooke PS945.......

timparkin
Forum Hero

Post by timparkin » Wed May 20, 2009 7:35 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Thingy wrote:I have just ordered a new, lighter (& slightly shorter) Gitzo from RW after lugging my very robust GT3531 around at the Maldon Workshop last month. The tripod combined with my existing LowePro Trekker Pro II rucksack (which holds a lot of kit but empty weights in at over 5kg :shock: ) and 45SU was a bit too heavy for me at the moment..... so I'm using my older LowePro Nature rucksack and will use the smaller and lighter GT2541 which is some 800g lighter at 1.4kg, for everyday, non-windy, situations.

Does anyone know if Sherpas are available for hire in the UK (perhaps the UKLFPG are sponsored by the British Union of Sherpas)? :lol:
I'm just doing a similar job trying to work out a light version of my kit for longer hikes. I also need a second tripod for use with my second camera on 'documentary' trips so will probably buy the 1541... Unfortunately when I'm on these trips I'll be carrying two tripods, there cameras, etc, etc for a total of about 25Kg .. most of these trips will be less than 3 miles :-)
Waiting for the developing bill - 2 hours (and it's so small now!)

lostlandsuk

Post by lostlandsuk » Wed May 20, 2009 9:42 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Can I add my twopenneth for a Linhof Twin Shank Pro - relatively light, utterly stable, just a bit bulky!
Bob Rigby has one for £150 with a Linhof head (not sure which model head that is though).
I have a 70's version and you can still buy spares from Linhof - mine cost £35 in scabby condition; and though it can be a bit of a lug (you need to fashion some lugging handles from bungees), being able to see a Sinar F at full extension held stably at roughly 8 feet above the ground is a huge hoot :lol:
If you look in Roger and Frances' Hicks Medium and Large Format book, you can see the big brother of the Twin Shank, which is even funnier than mine.
Actually, check out Linhof and Studio as I am sure they make a smaller model that might just suit your needs - no complaints about the quality at all.
Cheers
Phil

Patrick Dixon
Forum Hero

Post by Patrick Dixon » Wed May 20, 2009 9:50 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

timparkin wrote:I also need a second tripod for use with my second camera on 'documentary' trips
Whatever happened to handheld?

joolsb
Forum Hero

Post by joolsb » Wed May 20, 2009 10:28 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Unfortunately when I'm on these trips I'll be carrying two tripods, there cameras, etc, etc for a total of about 25Kg
Do you really need to carry two tripods? 25Kg is a pretty insane amount of gear...

Or is it just a particularly bad attack of GAS? :lol:

Thingy
Forum Hero

Post by Thingy » Wed May 20, 2009 5:03 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

joolsb wrote:
Unfortunately when I'm on these trips I'll be carrying two tripods, there cameras, etc, etc for a total of about 25Kg
Do you really need to carry two tripods? 25Kg is a pretty insane amount of gear...

I too was wondering why the larger, heavier tripod on its own, would not suffice for both cameras, or am I being particularly dense? :idea: :oops:

Thingy
Forum Hero

Post by Thingy » Thu May 21, 2009 2:20 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

The tripod arrived this morning. It's quite a shock how much lighter it is! I will put it through its paces at the weekend if the rain holds off for a while. :roll: :lol:

I also ordered one of those camera and lens cases from Photobackpacker and a lens holder so that I can travel ultra light with an ordinary lightweight rucksack if necessary.

Camera case (with internal dimensions of 213mm X 238mm X 124mm) Code: C00894

LightGear - Ultra (Multiple Lenses on 4x4 board) Code: LS-1150-4

timparkin
Forum Hero

Post by timparkin » Thu May 21, 2009 8:18 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Thingy wrote:
joolsb wrote:

I too was wondering why the larger, heavier tripod on its own, would not suffice for both cameras, or am I being particularly dense? :idea: :oops:
Well I'll be doing documentary video of me taking a picture (amongst other things) so trying to fit both on one tripd would need an extra long clamp :-) However I won't carry all my gear to do this so it will probably only be just about 20kg

Out of interest, what do you think the smallest tripod is that you could use with he large format (I know it depends on lens... lets say a 240 max)

timparkin
Forum Hero

Post by timparkin » Thu May 21, 2009 8:20 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

joolsb wrote:

It isn't far off.. If I take my second camera out at the minute (canon 5d) then my bag is pretty close to 20kg (19Kg if I leave the 360/500 at home)..

I'm working on a light kit and would love to get a lighter backpack (5.5Kg for the pro trekker with nothing in it!).. Any recommendations of light backpacks (I'd love a McHale but they're not cheap)

Tim