Which Tripod?

A place to talk about photography, the meaning of life and anything that doesn't quite fit elsewhere
Keith Tapscott
Forum Hero

Which Tripod?

Post by Keith Tapscott » Sun Jun 10, 2007 6:46 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I am looking for a Tripod that easily supports my MPP Mk 8 and Mamiya RZ 67 that is also relatively light to carry. I have a Manfrotto Triaut 058 with 229 Pan & Tilt Head and a 181 Auto Dolly which I use for studio work, but is too heavy for lugging around Dartmoor. I also have a wooden MPP tripod with a Unilock Ball & Socket Head, buy this feels a bit too flimsy despite being easy carry.
Any suggestions? Also, a suggestion for one of the Lowepro or similar Camera bags would be welcomed.
Last edited by Keith Tapscott on Sun Jun 10, 2007 7:22 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00, edited 1 time in total.

Joanna Carter
Founder
Workshop Images: http://grandes-images.com/fr/Paysages/P ... _2009.html

Post by Joanna Carter » Sun Jun 10, 2007 7:02 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Until recently, I used to use a Manfrotto 055 ProB; a superb tripod which allows you to remove the centre column, leaving the top plate on a short stub, if necessary for low level shooting. Now I use a Gitzo GT2530LVL, which is carbon fibre, also with a removable centre column. the main functional difference is that this has a levelling "hub" in the yoke.

For a head, I have kept the Manfrotto 410 geared head; this really is the best head I have found for LF/MF work.

The combination of Gitzo legs and 410 head is only slightly lighter than the 055 and 410 but I have really noticed it is easier to carry and the new anti-rotate legs do make it quicker to setup.

Of course, the Gitzo costs more than even the Manfrotto CF equivalent of the O55 but I'm sorry, I just fell in love with it when I saw it at Focus <note to self>Must remember to go round Focus with eyes tightly shut next time</note to self> :roll:
Reassure yourself - stroke an Ebony

Keith Tapscott
Forum Hero

Post by Keith Tapscott » Sun Jun 10, 2007 7:18 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Joanna Carter wrote:Until recently, I used to use a Manfrotto 055 ProB; a superb tripod which allows you to remove the centre column, leaving the top plate on a short stub, if necessary for low level shooting. Now I use a Gitzo GT2530LVL, which is carbon fibre, also with a removable centre column. the main functional difference is that this has a levelling "hub" in the yoke.

For a head, I have kept the Manfrotto 410 geared head; this really is the best head I have found for LF/MF work.

The combination of Gitzo legs and 410 head is only slightly lighter than the 055 and 410 but I have really noticed it is easier to carry and the new anti-rotate legs do make it quicker to setup.

Of course, the Gitzo costs more than even the Manfrotto CF equivalent of the O55 but I'm sorry, I just fell in love with it when I saw it at Focus <note to self>Must remember to go round Focus with eyes tightly shut next time</note to self> :roll:
Thanks Joanna,
I will probably look around for the best deals and the Tripod you mentioned seems interesting. Do you know of any Gitzo dealers in the UK?
Also, does the Manfrotto 410 head fit easily?
Thanks for replying.

Joanna Carter
Founder
Workshop Images: http://grandes-images.com/fr/Paysages/P ... _2009.html

Post by Joanna Carter » Sun Jun 10, 2007 7:35 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I guess the nearest dealer to you would be Robert White; I used PFD here in Manchester. But I would suggest that you look around for the best price on the internet before deciding. Importing one from B&H Photo Video in the US can be beneficial, especially with the current exchange rate you can get a better price, even after paying shipping, duty and VAT, although I would recommend requesting shipping via USPS not UPS as UPS charge £20 just for collecting the taxes!

The 410 head simply screws straight onto the 3/8 stub on the top of the tripod, which has a good grip pad so no grub screws necessary.

I've just checked and it really isn't worth going to B&H at the moment, the price differences on these items are not worth the hassle.
Reassure yourself - stroke an Ebony

Keith Tapscott
Forum Hero

Post by Keith Tapscott » Sun Jun 10, 2007 8:06 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Joanna Carter wrote: The 410 head simply screws straight onto the 3/8 stub on the top of the tripod, which has a good grip pad so no grub screws necessary.

I've just checked and it really isn't worth going to B&H at the moment, the price differences on these items are not worth the hassle.
I have just looked at Morris Photo site which have the products cheaper than Calumet UK, although I will look at other dealers too. I am also looking at the Manfrotto Carbon Fibre Tripods.

http://www.morrisphoto.co.uk/default.html

PAUL O
Founder

Post by PAUL O » Sun Jun 10, 2007 8:32 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi. I use a Gitzo 1325 CF (without centre column) coupled with a Manfrotto 410 head. Great combination!

Matt_Bigwood
Forum Hero

tripods

Post by Matt_Bigwood » Sun Jun 10, 2007 8:44 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi

I use a really stable Manfrotto 028 tripod with 029 head with my MPP, BUT its very heavy and I wouldn't want to carry it very far. I bought the whole lot second hand for less than £100. When it's not being used for large format I swap the head for a Manfrotto 501 and its great for video work!

Matt

Tim Myers
Forum Hero

Post by Tim Myers » Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:37 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Keith Tapscott wrote: I am also looking at the Manfrotto Carbon Fibre Tripods.

I'd strongly advise against the CF Manfrottos. I used to use one, and came to have serious issues with its stability when supporting an LF camera. Moreover there are some serious design flaws in the leg section, which means that if the foot ever comes off the leg then it is possible to destory the locking mechanism for the lower leg section.

I bought an 055MF3 from Morris, and when the above happened to my tripod and tried to get in touch with them about a possible warranty replacement it was impossible to get in touch with them...

I now use a Gitzo 1325 and Manfrotto 410 head.

BarryWilkinson
Forum Hero

Post by BarryWilkinson » Mon Jun 11, 2007 10:22 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Ever thought of using a modern wooden tripod? Why not try a Berlebach (Report series)? You could use it with your existing head.

http://www.berlebach.de/e_index.php

Berlebach are nice people to deal with.

As far as bags are concerned, I am still not happy with any of mine. I alternate between shoulder bags and a Lowepro Pro Trekker. I find the Lowepro tempts me to carry too much.

Barry

Apple
Forum Hero

Post by Apple » Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:06 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I've had 'fun' with Morris before as well - ordered some Canon stuff off them and one item wasn't in stock. It was supposedly put on back order but nothing was mentioned on the invoice along with the bits that they sent OK. After quite a few phone calls to check on progress as I'd heard nothing, I gave up on them as they were implying that I'd never ordered it in the first place so why should they look round for one :mad:

Andrew
Full Member of the Tearoom Appreciation Society - affiliated to UKLFPG.

Steve Bell

Post by Steve Bell » Mon Jun 11, 2007 12:51 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I bought my 055p and 029 head from Morris Photographic, just before they moved away from Oxford High Street. Since then I've bought a light meter, a spare plate for the tripod and a few bags from them. In each instance I visited them as they are only about 50 mins away from home. The first visit to their new premises I bought the lightmeter and plate, the plate was out of stock. They said they'd post it on, and they did a few days later. At that time they hadn't setup the showroom, and surpisingly wouldn't take cash! Currently, as well as tripods, they have just about every Lowepro and Tamrac bag on show, its good to be able to drop by and try your kit in a bag before buying. Overall my experience of them has been good.

Keith Tapscott
Forum Hero

Post by Keith Tapscott » Mon Jun 11, 2007 2:06 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Tim Myers wrote:
Keith Tapscott wrote: I am also looking at the Manfrotto Carbon Fibre Tripods.

I'd strongly advise against the CF Manfrottos. I used to use one, and came to have serious issues with its stability when supporting an LF camera. Moreover there are some serious design flaws in the leg section, which means that if the foot ever comes off the leg then it is possible to destory the locking mechanism for the lower leg section.

I bought an 055MF3 from Morris, and when the above happened to my tripod and tried to get in touch with them about a possible warranty replacement it was impossible to get in touch with them...

I now use a Gitzo 1325 and Manfrotto 410 head.
I was looking at a Manfrotto 055 MF4 at £218.95, according to the spec on Morris Photo site, this Tripod closes down 10cm less than the 055 MF3. The problem that you had is worrying. The Tripod that Joanna mentioned is also available at an expensive £481.95. It seems that the Gitzo Tripods, although excellent are considerably more expensive than rival brands. :(

Keith Tapscott
Forum Hero

Post by Keith Tapscott » Mon Jun 11, 2007 2:16 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

BarryWilkinson wrote:Ever thought of using a modern wooden tripod? Why not try a Berlebach (Report series)? You could use it with your existing head.

http://www.berlebach.de/e_index.php

Berlebach are nice people to deal with.

As far as bags are concerned, I am still not happy with any of mine. I alternate between shoulder bags and a Lowepro Pro Trekker. I find the Lowepro tempts me to carry too much.

Barry
An interesting link Barry, I am looking to carry an MPP Mk8 which has an anatomic grip along with a Schneider 180mm Symmar-S (the only decent lens I own for LF), a Kodak ReadyLoad film holder, a couple of boxes of ReadyLoad film sheets and some filters, lightmeter etc, so a case of what bag to choose for ease of carrying.
I have a wooden MPP Tripod, but it feels flimsy and I don`t trust it in case of a stiff breeze. The Tripods in the link look much more sturdy.

Tim Myers
Forum Hero

Post by Tim Myers » Mon Jun 11, 2007 2:18 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Keith Tapscott wrote:I was looking at a Manfrotto 055 MF4 at £218.95, according to the spec on Morris Photo site, this Tripod closes down 10cm less than the 055 MF3. The problem that you had is worrying. The Tripod that Joanna mentioned is also available at an expensive £481.95. It seems that the Gitzo Tripods, although excellent are considerably more expensive than rival brands. :(
The MF3 was exceptionally 'springy' too. Get the legs out at 60 degrees and you could push the camera down and watch it bounce up and down a little. It also exhibited an unnerving oscillation at some wind speeds.

Yes, the Gitzo is expensive, but it's a real different beast. The 055 MF3 isn't that much lighter than the Al ones anyway, if the price is an issue then you can't go wrong with an 055..

Keith Tapscott
Forum Hero

Post by Keith Tapscott » Mon Jun 11, 2007 2:18 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I`ve not bought from Morris Photographic before, so can`t comment on their services.