Large Format Holder For Flatbed Scanners

A place to talk about photography, the meaning of life and anything that doesn't quite fit elsewhere
DJ
Site Admin

Large Format Holder For Flatbed Scanners

Post by DJ » Tue Jul 03, 2007 4:17 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I just thought I would bring to your attention that Doug Fisher, the chap behind the improved film-holders for Epson ( and other ) flatbed scanners seems to have completed work on his anticipated large format holder. His medium format and small format holders are highly regarded. By all accounts it looks like it could be quite useful, and has mask templates for different formats such as 5x4, 5x7 etc which you can cut yourself from (supplied) sheets of black styrene. Website says he has 20 different mask templates available.

The website for the holders is http://www.betterscanning.com/ and the particular page for the large format "Mounting Station" is http://www.betterscanning.com/scanning/mstation.html

Looking at the design, it does incorporate infinitely variable height adjusters, much better than the two-way flippy things included with the OEM holders. This should allow you to get exactly the right height for your particular scanner, which is 50% of the battle with these flatbeds.

I'm convinced this will be better than the Epson Fluid Mount Accessory, the dry-mount method looks a bit clumsy though, more work to use than snapping in your film to the Epson dry holder, but includes a sheet of Anti Newton Ring glass so could potentially yield better results.

He has a limited time special offer on for the new holder if anyone is interested.

I don't have one of these, I haven't tried one, and I am not affiliated with them in any way. Still not sure whether I am keeping my flatbed as I now have a drum scanner, so I'm undecided on buying one of these personally.

Just FYI.

David Rees
Forum Hero

Post by David Rees » Wed Jul 04, 2007 7:31 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I'm tempted by these, I admit. I have started to use my V700 in earnest, scanning in 617 and 5x4. The 5x4 holder from Epson seems to do a reasonable job, but the MF holder is pretty poor in my view.

I cannot prevent the film from buckling if I close the film gate in the MF holder, and the only workaround I have is to remove the gate entirely, and simply place the film (face-down, the *wrong* way) for scanning. Results are not too bad, but I'm sure I'm not getting all the scanner is capable of.

Is anyone else thinking of buying either the BetterScanning 5x4 holder, or the MF holder? Perhaps we can get a bulk order together, to save on P&P, import delivery charges, etc.

Joanna Carter
Founder
Workshop Images: http://grandes-images.com/fr/Paysages/P ... _2009.html

Post by Joanna Carter » Wed Jul 04, 2007 8:00 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

David, I too have found the Epson MF holder to be less than useless if used as directed. I have managed to get a bit better result by removing the little nibs on the gate, allowing it to rest on the film rather than pushing the film as the gate engages.

However, I have also been looking at the Better Scanning holders and was already interested in the MF one with the T-bars and would now also be interested in the new LF one. The idea of being able to adjust the scan height without having to play with strips of paper is quite attractive.

Keep me iformed of any plans.
Reassure yourself - stroke an Ebony

Lynne Evans
Forum Hero

Post by Lynne Evans » Wed Jul 04, 2007 10:21 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I'd happily come in on a bulk order for the MF holder - I seem to be doing OK with the large format one, but have shelved scanning my 6x4.5 trannies with my V750 because it is so hit and miss

chipper

Post by chipper » Wed Jul 04, 2007 10:32 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I have the MF Holder from Doug Fisher (Better Scanning), and it is pretty good. I took the old Pentax to Turkey last week (bloody hot!), and i'm waiting for the processed trannies back from Peak Imaging. I don't use the t bars that come with the kit, as I also bought the anti-newton glass strip. I might try wet mounting the trannies for hopefully a better scan. The 4x5 holder from Doug does look as if it might be quite useful, but i'm reluctant to shell out more cash on my V750, as I already bought the ScanScience Kit from the US, and even with the optimum height found, I just don't think the quality is quite good enough. Doug's holder may well be easier to use, but I can't see any improvement on the end result.

Stu.

Tony Lovell

Post by Tony Lovell » Sat Jul 28, 2007 1:10 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I’ve been using the medium format film holder from Doug Fisher (Better Scanning), for about a year now. I originally bought it for using on a 6 x 14 format but use it regularly for 67 and it works fine. (I have the V750pro)

I made my own 7x5 and 10x8 format film holders from card and x-ray film (thick film which when exposed and developed is mat black on both sides), such that the film is around 3mm off the glass, I can post a photo if anyone is interested.

Tony