Argentum LF Cameras.

A place to talk about photography, the meaning of life and anything that doesn't quite fit elsewhere
uraniumnitrate
Forum Hero

Post by uraniumnitrate » Fri Aug 17, 2007 8:12 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Keith Tapscott wrote:I`ve just bought a Russian FKD 13x18cm format Camera fairly cheap. I am going to see if I can get the lens-board modified to accept a modern lens of around 210-240mm as I will probably use it only indoors for portraits. I am hoping that the cassettes will allow me to use FP4 Plus film sheets. I don`t know much about this Camera and was wondering if anyone has some more information than that which I have found so far.

http://squirl.info/asset/show/298?c=Vin ... 1964&i=131
Keith.
All I know about those cameras that they are primary built for glass plates and after the focusing you must lift up the focusing screen to attach the film holder. They are not those with the spring back as it is custom on all the Yank cameras. Very sturdy built and fine cameras but the holders could be a problem however the late models are probably except sheet film but in centimetres. I know one guy here who has let somebody rebuilt the holder to except sheet film. It was a costly affair and you don’t have that luxury to have a lots of holders.. Rigid ones with a very limited movement in any case this is not a field camera at all this type was made for studio use. The choice is yours. I know I wouldn’t bother to have one except to place it on the shelf as display. One more thing I believe and it seems that is mainly a copy of the old English studio cameras. The above mentioned are probably the reason why you guys don’t use those oldies manufactured on the island. This statement is based on one camera I've seen and this is owned by a friend of mine.

Keith Tapscott
Forum Hero

Post by Keith Tapscott » Fri Aug 17, 2007 10:31 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

uraniumnitrate wrote:
Keith Tapscott wrote:I`ve just bought a Russian FKD 13x18cm format Camera fairly cheap. I am going to see if I can get the lens-board modified to accept a modern lens of around 210-240mm as I will probably use it only indoors for portraits. I am hoping that the cassettes will allow me to use FP4 Plus film sheets. I don`t know much about this Camera and was wondering if anyone has some more information than that which I have found so far.

http://squirl.info/asset/show/298?c=Vin ... 1964&i=131
Keith.
All I know about those cameras that they are primary built for glass plates and after the focusing you must lift up the focusing screen to attach the film holder. They are not those with the spring back as it is custom on all the Yank cameras. Very sturdy built and fine cameras but the holders could be a problem however the late models are probably except sheet film but in centimetres. I know one guy here who has let somebody rebuilt the holder to except sheet film. It was a costly affair and you don’t have that luxury to have a lots of holders.. Rigid ones with a very limited movement in any case this is not a field camera at all this type was made for studio use. The choice is yours. I know I wouldn’t bother to have one except to place it on the shelf as display. One more thing I believe and it seems that is mainly a copy of the old English studio cameras. The above mentioned are probably the reason why you guys don’t use those oldies manufactured on the island. This statement is based on one camera I've seen and this is owned by a friend of mine.
As I said, I will only use it for portraits. It has 3 cassettes for 13x18cm film of which FP4 Plus is available from Retrophotographic.
I will probably have a lensboard made to accept a lens with a Copal#1 shutter. Luckily, the Camera didn`t cost too much.
I might send one of these to Retrophotographic to ask their advice of whether sheet film is O.K. to use.

Keith Tapscott
Forum Hero

Post by Keith Tapscott » Fri Aug 17, 2007 10:35 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I`m not sure if there are any glass plate films made anymore, perhaps someone will know? :?:

uraniumnitrate
Forum Hero

Post by uraniumnitrate » Fri Aug 17, 2007 5:08 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Keith Tapscott wrote:
uraniumnitrate wrote:
Keith Tapscott wrote:.
As I said, I will only use it for portraits. It has 3 cassettes for 13x18cm film of which FP4 Plus is available from Retrophotographic.
I will probably have a lensboard made to accept a lens with a Copal#1 shutter. Luckily, the Camera didn`t cost too much.
I might send one of these to Retrophotographic to ask their advice of whether sheet film is O.K. to use.
That's good! More money for the film and to the lens plate! :-)

Just in case if any of you intrested to buy equipment like it check this one out! This guy have a tons of it in different sizes.

http://stores.ebay.com/stores-sibir-ser ... esstQQtZkm

Keith Tapscott
Forum Hero

Post by Keith Tapscott » Fri Aug 17, 2007 5:30 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

uraniumnitrate wrote:
Just in case if any of you interested to buy equipment like it check this one out! This guy have a tons of it in different sizes.

http://stores.ebay.com/stores-sibir-ser ... esstQQtZkm
One`s enough thanks, I don`t want to become a Camera collector.

Ole Tjugen

Post by Ole Tjugen » Sat Sep 01, 2007 9:23 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Keith Tapscott wrote:I`m not sure if there are any glass plate films made anymore, perhaps someone will know? :?:
Ask RetroPhotographic. :)

Slavich still makes glass plates, but shipping from Russia is expensive. It's glass, after all! Retro may still have some 9x12cm plates left, but you'll need a format reducing insert to use that in a 13x18cm camera.

Another possibility is to use film adapter sheaths. I have a small stack of 5x7" ones which are just a fraction too small to use in my own 13x18 camera (German, ca. 1910), but if the opening in your holders is small enough that a 5x7" won't drop out, you can have a couple. :)
Ole Tjugen

Keith Tapscott
Forum Hero

Post by Keith Tapscott » Mon Sep 03, 2007 6:18 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Ole Tjugen wrote:
Another possibility is to use film adapter sheaths. I have a small stack of 5x7" ones which are just a fraction too small to use in my own 13x18 camera (German, ca. 1910), but if the opening in your holders is small enough that a 5x7" won't drop out, you can have a couple. :)
Thanks for the offer Ole, however, I am still awaiting for the Camera to arrive.