E6 Processing - concerns

A place to talk about photography, the meaning of life and anything that doesn't quite fit elsewhere
PAUL O
Founder

Post by PAUL O » Fri Aug 10, 2007 10:52 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Posted my remaining films from Iceland off to Leach on Tuesday - fingers crossed too!

Apple
Forum Hero

Post by Apple » Fri Aug 10, 2007 11:26 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Damn, you now know my address if anything goes wrong after my positive experiences to date... :oops: :wink:
Full Member of the Tearoom Appreciation Society - affiliated to UKLFPG.

PAUL O
Founder

Post by PAUL O » Sat Aug 11, 2007 7:55 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

RELAX - Leach came up with the goods :lol:

PAUL O
Founder

Post by PAUL O » Sat Aug 11, 2007 11:08 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

AS a follow up ... I am VERY annoyed :evil:

As most of you know I struggled a bit with colour. To this end I (happily) accepted the processed films I got back from BPD both recently and over the past 12 months. I was never overly impressed with the transparencies I got back but put it down to my (low) position on the learning curve!

However, I've just compared the films returned from Leach with those from BPD and there are real issues! Some of the films were taken at same location, with same exposure settings ... BUT those from BPD are, in my opinion, not right! The colours are muddy and dark and there are definite colour casts in areas like sky/clouds.

I've retrieved processed transparencies that BPD have done in the past and they are similar - dull/lifeless and dark (almost as if the film has been significantly underexposed)

This got me thinking :lol: Dangerous I know!

But what could cause these dull/lifeless transparencies when those taken at the same time/exposure are, dare I say, fab! Could this all be down to dodgy/sloppy processing/tired chemistry?

Any advice? (Keep it clean PELL boyo' :wink: )

Paul

Joanna Carter
Founder
Workshop Images: http://grandes-images.com/fr/Paysages/P ... _2009.html

Post by Joanna Carter » Sat Aug 11, 2007 2:06 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

PAUL O wrote:AS a follow up ... I am VERY annoyed :evil:

As most of you know I struggled a bit with colour. To this end I (happily) accepted the processed films I got back from BPD both recently and over the past 12 months. I was never overly impressed with the transparencies I got back but put it down to my (low) position on the learning curve!

However, I've just compared the films returned from Leach with those from BPD and there are real issues! Some of the films were taken at same location, with same exposure settings ... BUT those from BPD are, in my opinion, not right! The colours are muddy and dark and there are definite colour casts in areas like sky/clouds.

I've retrieved processed transparencies that BPD have done in the past and they are similar - dull/lifeless and dark (almost as if the film has been significantly underexposed)

This got me thinking :lol: Dangerous I know!

But what could cause these dull/lifeless transparencies when those taken at the same time/exposure are, dare I say, fab! Could this all be down to dodgy/sloppy processing/tired chemistry?
I can only speak from my experience with Pro2Col, whom BPD were using prior to their demise, and who never failed to reliably process my films, giving results that you will have seen both here and on my website.

My quick reaction would be that you have got much better at taking colour exposures correctly, knowing that Iceland was a "trip of a lifetime" :wink:

Without prejudice, I would guess that the latest shots, sent to BPD but processed by MPS, would have been spoiled by a lab that I pulled out of due to their poor "quality" control.
Reassure yourself - stroke an Ebony

Apple
Forum Hero

Post by Apple » Sat Aug 11, 2007 2:44 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

For quite a few years, Amateur Photographer used to run processing house tests where they would send in slide and print films to see what came back before ranking the companies.

With some of them ,seeing them next to others made you wonder how the companies got away with it but to the un-initiated / the great unwashed they probably wouldn't know the difference as long as you could tell it was Auntie Flossie in front of Blackpool Tower...

They also used to run comparison tests of DIY E6 kits and they could turn out some quite different results - blocked up shadows or blown highlights, colour shifts, etc.

I used to think that C41 was where quality control was needed and E6 was a no-brainer that churned out good results each time but over the years it doesn't seem to be the case :(

There you are Mr. O. - a clean post. No plunge into the murky depths (I could find any spare room as there were a lot of your trannies down there :wink: )

Apple
Forum Hero

Post by Apple » Sat Aug 11, 2007 2:57 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

In addition, there's a lot to plough through but this page seems very informative...

It goes into some of the problems of slide processing and how they were created / the outcomes and how they could be avoided.

Apple
Forum Hero

Post by Apple » Sat Aug 11, 2007 3:23 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

If you really want to get deep & meaningful, try this pdf of the Kodak process (obviously it's written for labs and how to check machines but there's a lot on torubleshooting about 2/3 of the way through)

Charles Twist
Founder

Post by Charles Twist » Sun Aug 12, 2007 8:40 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hello Paul,
Before I moved to the NE two years ago, I used BPD/Pro2Col for my processing and was pleased with the results. After moving to NPS in Middlesbrough, I did notice that the trannies had a little extra je ne sais quoi about them (if you'll excuse my French). I believe it's a good idea to stick with one camera set-up which you like, one or two film types which you like, and a processor which you like. Then you approach repeatability and predictability.
Are you now going to persevere some more with colour?
When do we get to see some piccies from Iceland?
Charles

PAUL O
Founder

Post by PAUL O » Sun Aug 12, 2007 9:03 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi Charles - the move back to black and white is still happening! However, I may bung the odd roll of Provia through the 6x17 back. But for 5x4 (as the song goes) "I'm going back to my roots" :wink:

As for piccies from Iceland - I will endeavour/struggle to get my head around scanning - resizing - etc! I'll then get some posted :lol:

dennis
Forum Hero

E6 processing

Post by dennis » Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:17 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

If you are posting film try South West Colour Labs in Paignton, S. Devon. I have used them for years with just one mistake when one of my films was sent to someone else, but recovered OK. Dennis.

Tim Myers
Forum Hero

Post by Tim Myers » Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:19 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I got my trannies back from Leach at the end of last week, superb service, well processed trannies. Collected in their van on Tuesday, delivered back on Friday, cost was £1.30 a sheet.

Thanks for Apple for the recommendation - it's certainly been proved right.

Apple
Forum Hero

Post by Apple » Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:41 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

:)

Just picked some up the other night - all done in the day but could probably be done in a shorter time if pushed - I've been offered an hour's turnround if needed but I'm not that desperate ;)

Henry

Post by Henry » Sun Sep 30, 2007 10:41 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Once again, sorry to be so late for joining in on this one. After losing Joe's Basement and then CETA, I've had to hunt for a new lab. If you're ever within stiking distance of London, then I can strongly recommend using Metro Imaging - several branches around London and a website (www.metroimaging.co.uk). I use the Soho branch (nearish to my work) and I've always found them to be friendly. knowledgable, and keen to help. Results are excellent, and packaging materials excellent too. I've used them for 120 and 5x4 tranny and C41, no complaints whatsoever. They happily accommodate pushing and cutting so I can use the A+B method of shooting and save a ton on bracketing as my exposures are almost never more than plus or minus one stop - well within the cut/push of most tranny film inc Velvia 50. Hope this helps.

JC

Post by JC » Sun Sep 30, 2007 2:50 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Just received a few trannies back from Peak Imaging , having been a regular at Pro2col. Happy with the results and the turnaround time , but not overly pleased that they were not returned in the film box. It won't be long untill I've run out of boxes , as I usually send film off on a regular basis. Anyone got any solutions??